Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie

Money In The Bank: Did the right woman win?

Money In The Bank: Did the right woman win?   37 votes

1. 1. Money In The Bank: Did the right woman win?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Crystal said:

The WWE knew the passionate reaction this would get which is why Shane, Daniel, and the women on both brands went off on Twitter. They're using this to fuel storylines and truly launch Carmella into the next stage of her development. Getting the traditional MITB moment is great and all but it would have been very "well that was nice...next". As a character, Carmella is smart and strategic as shown in her feud with Fearless Nikki. She doesn't play fair at all. She plays to win. Carmella is aware of her limitations so she has to be resourceful which she's used to being since she's the Princess of Stanton Island. This entire relationship with Ellsworth is based on her using him towards her advantage. Stringing him on ever so slightly as he gets his hands dirty for her benefit. This move is 100% in-character and I have no doubt she'll prove her worth with this opportunity. Carmella isn't here for honor amongst women, she's in it for herself and herself only. As I said before, it's the memorable journey that makes the real history. Everything else is just an encyclopedia fact. Let's see how the WWE approaches this on Tuesday before people go guns blazing with vitriol for the booking decision.

1 hour ago, Neon said:

The only woman that both needed this monumental rub, and has enough personality to carry the MITB briefcase storyline definitely went over, yes. Moreover, the finish was exactly what it needed to be. For better or worse, this is a story that's making waves across the spectrum of professional wrestling and is no doubt going to put a definitive spotlight on Carmella (and Ellsworth) going forward. As great as Carmella fits her role, she was in dire need of a platform to tip her character in the right direction (she was getting zilch from crowds, let's face it), and a finish like that puts the Carmella/Ellsworth duo over as exactly the slimy, greedy type to capitalize on a challenger indisposed and 'cash-in' on their misfortune. Also, the match was heavily promoted as one that would be "history-making"; a benchmark for future similar matches to follow. I know we're all wrestling fans first and have that small purist inclination at heart (believe me, I wasn't exactly thrilled about it myself in heat of the moment), but sometimes we lose sight of how important the 'entertainment' factor is to the pro wrestling landscape. If we'd gotten the very same match with a more pacifying finish, this would be distant memory in about a week's time (HIAC). Most memorable matches aren't marked by stipulations or how many times everyone involved can tout "first-ever!!" (also, HIAC) --- they're marked by the moments created. They took a big leap with the booking last night, and I guarantee it'll have a major payoff.

If played right and handled correctly, Carmella might've just risen to being one of the top 5 most important superstars on SDL.

2 hours ago, Shoaib. said:

yes

/thread

Tea!

2 people like this

I was just happy that a fucking horse didn't win. I was really rooting for Tamother and or Nattie but I'm happy for Carmella tbh :clap: 

Yes the money in the banks sole purpose is to create the future. Carmella is the freshest one on the scene and this helps build her up and gives her heat as she trolls a cash in for months. 

Well all of the Women in the match have a possibility of winning & deserving so no matter who won it doesn't matter to me.

Anyone that's pressed because "a man took the case!!" better be LIVING for every "women making history" storyline we got this past year. I better not see a single complaint about the women's angles lacking any substance beyond them being just happening to be women. 

The point of the match should never have been that they were women. SD writers actually gave them months worth of build leading to this kind of match up, not because they're women but because they're competitors and they deserve it just like everyone else, male or female. If you're really gonna cry because the women were given a (really interesting) storyline where a man is involved just because for once the girls are actually being treated like real characters and not just "women finally getting a chance to be like men!"...

The alternative would be Charlotte unclipping the breifcase and cutting a promo the next show about how WOMEN DID THAT, AGAIN! Keep it. This is way more fun :mariah: 

8 people like this

The controversy is great! This was exactly what James' interferance was aiming at achieving. Carmella is a heel, why were people expecting a fairy tale finish I will never understand.

The amount of people pulling the sexism card on Twitter makes me wanna kill myself. As if they have no idea what characters and storylines are. But them being pressed is giving Carmella more drive behind her opportunistic nature, so I'll just enjoy their stupidity :charsmile:

2 people like this

Mess, i really didn't think that the finish would be a problem when i was watching the match. Carmella is a heel. Heels cheat8ZzMQFX.png

4 people like this

4 hours ago, puppies said:

Anyone that's pressed because "a man took the case!!" better be LIVING for every "women making history" storyline we got this past year. I better not see a single complaint about the women's angles lacking any substance beyond them being just happening to be women. 

I do. :k2:

23 minutes ago, Amlex said:

Mess, i really didn't think that the finish would be a problem when i was watching the match. Carmella is a heel. Heels cheat8ZzMQFX.png

sdaasd you not even waiting for it to go live 8ZzMQFX.png

As far as the ending goes it's completely fine until you attach the whole feminism thing to it. I think that's what most people are stuck on/complaining about. Them getting the match in the first place is the accomplishment. Them showing ouit and having a great match is the accomplishment. it doesn't matter in the slightest that Ellsworth got involved during the last two minutes. It worked for the story and helps continue on the feud into the future. That doesn't take away from all the genuinely great stuff that happened. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Kevin Thomas said:

Carmella wasn't my personal pick to win this match, but that isn't the problem. Would I have been happy if she climbed the ladder herself after distraction and got the briefcase? Not really. Would I have been outraged? No, I wouldn't be sour just because the woman I was rooting for didn't win.

My outrage does stem from the way it was handled and I do believe it to be that serious. Like fuck heel heat and storyline. This match was too important for the women for a man to step in and once again take from them what they worked so hard for. I drew immediate parallels between this match and the WM 25 battle royal. While the latter was significantly so much more of a train wreck, I always think about how great it would have been for Beth to be crowned the first and only Miss WrestleMania. As if that match wasn't mishandled to the 9th degree to start with, in steps a man to make it an even bigger joke. And that's what happened last night. Inserting that ugly creature into the MITB match made the entire thing seem like a joke. After a great match from all the women. It all got shitted on.

Lord knows WWE has been pushing this women's revolution for 2 years now, with fake feminist displays from all management. I ignored it because we were getting quality. Last night felt like 10 steps back. The company continue to push this narrative that the revolution is for 'little girls everywhere'. Well they truly fucked up and portrayed the message to those girls that they can't do it without a man.

Whilst I understand peoples frustration with the ending to the first ever womens MITB match, comparing it to Wrestlemania 25 girl? Really? 

Having Santino Marella win that battle royal in his fugly drag get up benefited no one; not even himself. It was a complete middle finger to any women in the company past or present. James grabbed the briefcase FOR Carmella, and whilst it wasn't an ideal ending for such a historic match it achieved what it was meant to because people are LIVID. The ending wasn't booked as an FU to the girls or womens wrestling or even to benefit James, it was simply booked as a strategic way to generate more heat for one of their talents that they are high on, and it worked. Saying that, I am still not 101% happy with the ending, even though it was genious booking wise. Personally I would of loved if James carried Carmella up the ladder and let her grab the briefcase. That still would of generated a lot of heat. However I am so relieved they did something like this instead of having Charlotte or Becky win it and have everyone forget about it in a weeks time. And lets not forget that the girls will likely get a MITB match every year from here on out so we have so many more years to see more satisfying endings. 

OT: Yes 100% - I said it as soon as the match was even rumoured Carmella would/should win this because it was the only outcome that was actually smart going forward with the storylines. She is a fucking character and whilst her in work may not be the best she has the makings of being a top performer. 

Also I don't where the fuck the Smackdown writers were before the brand split but I am so happy they showed up.

3 people like this

4 hours ago, puppies said:

The point of the match should never have been that they were women. SD writers actually gave them months worth of build leading to this kind of match up, not because they're women but because they're competitors and they deserve it just like everyone else, male or female. If you're really gonna cry because the women were given a (really interesting) storyline where a man is involved just because for once the girls are actually being treated like real characters and not just "women finally getting a chance to be like men!"...

The alternative would be Charlotte unclipping the breifcase and cutting a promo the next show about how WOMEN DID THAT, AGAIN! Keep it. This is way more fun :mariah: 

This thread has made me so happy. I am over this bs all over the internet about how it was a terrible ending. It was fucking genius. /End thread. 

2 people like this

54 minutes ago, CroNich said:

Whilst I understand peoples frustration with the ending to the first ever womens MITB match, comparing it to Wrestlemania 25 girl? Really? 

Also I don't where the fuck the Smackdown writers were before the brand split but I am so happy they showed up.

The comparison to WM25 was due to the fact that I was so excited for that match, I live for a battle royal and to see all those women coming back got me hype but it was booked awfully and ended up getting shit on by a man. For me, MITB kinda happened in similar fashion were I was so hype for the women to do the damn thing for the first time and they did. But then they had a man come in and do the work. I perhaps wouldn't mind it so much if it was a few years down the line or even next year but for the FIRST EVER match of its kind for women (as they like to stress so much) to end the way that it did is not a good look. 

I hear you on that second statement though. It does make for a great storyline and heel heat all that. But again, just for the 'first ever' for women. Idk.

1 hour ago, Kevin Thomas said:

The comparison to WM25 was due to the fact that I was so excited for that match, I live for a battle royal and to see all those women coming back got me hype but it was booked awfully and ended up getting shit on by a man. For me, MITB kinda happened in similar fashion were I was so hype for the women to do the damn thing for the first time and they did. But then they had a man come in and do the work. I perhaps wouldn't mind it so much if it was a few years down the line or even next year but for the FIRST EVER match of its kind for women (as they like to stress so much) to end the way that it did is not a good look. 

I hear you on that second statement though. It does make for a great storyline and heel heat all that. But again, just for the 'first ever' for women. Idk.

Yeah and I hear what you are saying but the fact that even people on here are mad was an intentional move by the writers. They had to sacrifice the historic value of a match for storyline purposes, and considering how many 'historic' moments and matches we have gotten over the past 18 months, i am okay with that. 

3 people like this

CARMELLA COULD'VE GOTTEN THE SAME HEAT AND THE SAME STORYLINE COULD'VE BEEN MOVED FORWARD WITH HAD JAMES ONLY HELD BECKY'S LEGS WHILE CARMELLA CAME TO SENSES AND SNATCHEDTT

C-2slyCWAAIjKh6.jpg

Just now, CiampaFandom said:

CARMELLA COULD'VE GOTTEN THE SAME HEAT AND THE SAME STORYLINE COULD'VE BEEN MOVED FORWARD WITH HAD JAMES ONLY HELD BECKY'S LEGS WHILE CARMELLA CAME TO SENSES AND SNATCHEDTT

C-2slyCWAAIjKh6.jpg

But seriously, I know if I thought of this ending then so did Road Dogg and co. Ellsworth would still be reprimanded for his involvement and heavy hand in Carmella's win. We should have gotten character development AND image/representation, but instead were cheated out of both for typical shock value. I guess I really don't care in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not gonna make excuses for odd booking decisions. It almost felt spiteful, sorry not sorry. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find people who are unhappy that it was Carmella who won, especially when virtually everyone clocked that she would. She was the best choice.

I still stand by the position that the finish was a poor choice for the first women's Money in the Bank match. As others have said, they could have picked from a variety of ways for Ellsworth to assist Carmella without him being the one to climb the ladder and pull it down for her. The match itself was still good, but I think the ending took a lot of steam out of it and put the heat more on Ellsworth compared to if she had climbed up and pulled it down herself.

And the right winner won. 

Also Daniel spoke with FOX Sports and said, "He was not a fan of the booking of that match because it was being hyped as a big deal."

This also sums up the negative reaction from everyone outside of the general audience and smarks. And went on to say, "if this were the fifth women's MITB ladder match then he wouldn't be as dissapointed." Thank you, Bryan.

Even management and I'm sure the rest of talent backstage know the booking decision was shit. And they better fix it tonight

Y'all what if Carmella shows up on RAW and Cashes it there, then afterwards it's revealed that she was part of a trade :shook: Edge snatching from Undertaker in 2007 teas :shook:

6 hours ago, CiampaFandom said:

C-2slyCWAAIjKh6.jpg

Honestly, I don't know if it would have. If that was how it went down, she still would have won fair and square, only with a slight assist we all expected, leaving people to just shrug it off because she's a heel, one the audiences have yet to buy into. With this scenario she essentially cheated in a match that has no rules. I don't think anyone saw this specific scenario and EVERYONE is pissed off about it. I'm not trying to diminish the argument against the booking or say it's what I would have done (it's not), but it seems to be paying off in a massive way for Carmella so far and as said, no one is really gonna think that much into it in five years when Carmella is a bonafide star and we've had plenty of MITB matches for the women to follow. A woman still won and became the first ever miss MITB. This isn't a Santina situation.

2 people like this

10 hours ago, CroNich said:

Yeah and I hear what you are saying but the fact that even people on here are mad was an intentional move by the writers. They had to sacrifice the historic value of a match for storyline purposes, and considering how many 'historic' moments and matches we have gotten over the past 18 months, i am okay with that. 

! And if we're truly moving toward equality, then at some point it becomes less about first ever this and first ever that and women's revolution and about booking this as a huge match, male or female, with a huge finish that benefits the winner. That's what's happening. The girls are literally headlining SD tonight and were the only thing advertised for the show since Sunday. None even cares about Baron Corbin atm :rot: 

This article pretty much nailed it for me personally.

Because, for as absolutely furious as I want to be at the ending of this match, I’m not. I felt a roller coaster of emotions in mere seconds, as Ellsworth unhooked that briefcase and dropped it into Carmella’s hands. My jaw literally dropped and I immediately felt that familiar red hot anger grow in the pit of my stomach, as I felt that I had been denied my historic moment, that moment where I get to cry over the number one contender, wearied and beaten, climbing the ladder to finally grab what they earned.

Then I saw Carmella start crying and holding that case for dear life, and all my anger melted away. While it isn’t an ideal picture of what the MITB women’s match should have been, what’s to say this won’t tell just as good a story?

There’s potential for multiple storylines just waiting in the wings. It’s obvious that Carmella is waiting for the perfect moment of weakness for the champion (whoever that may be, she has a whole year) to strike. She’s gone from a lukewarm, simply annoying heel character to what has the potential to be the finest troll job in terms of getting a title shot ever. Especially since she technically didn’t earn it.

I couldn’t begin to tell you what’s going to happen on Smackdown on Tuesday, and that is when I love wrestling the most.

This match was merely the prologue. What comes next will decide how the story goes.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/lets-not-be-angry-about-the-womens-money-in-the-ba.html

2 people like this

On 6/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, Mariah. said:

Honestly, I don't know if it would have. If that was how it went down, she still would have won fair and square, only with a slight assist we all expected, leaving people to just shrug it off because she's a heel, one the audiences have yet to buy into. With this scenario she essentially cheated in a match that has no rules. I don't think anyone saw this specific scenario and EVERYONE is pissed off about it. I'm not trying to diminish the argument against the booking or say it's what I would have done (it's not), but it seems to be paying off in a massive way for Carmella so far and as said, no one is really gonna think that much into it in five years when Carmella is a bonafide star and we've had plenty of MITB matches for the women to follow. A woman still won and became the first ever miss MITB. This isn't a Santina situation.

I get it now. They wanted to stretch the story out to boost ratings + Carmella got some major cheap heat and material for her in ring promo which put her character over, quite well I must admit. Still makes the purist in me itch. :shrug:

1 person likes this