Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Josh.

Forbes Exposes Fabulous Moolah

85 posts in this topic

WWE just can't seem to get out of its own way when it comes to the checkered history of a carnival-based industry.

Fabulous Moolah Mae Young

Credit: WWE.com

WWE has come under fire for honoring controversial pro wrestling figure the Fabulous Moolah.

The Fabulous Moolah became the latest controversial subject of lionization as, during Monday's broadcast of Raw, WWE announced that the first-ever Fabulous Moolah Women's Battle Royal would take place at WrestleMania 34.

During WrestleMania weekend in 2018, Moolah will now join The Ultimate Warrior—the subject of the annual Warrior Award at the WWE Hall of Fame despite coming under fire for historically cruel and bigoted views—as questionable beacons of immortality whose legacies certainly didn't age well.

Pro wrestling Twitter made sure to issue a reminder of why honoring the Fabulous Moolah could be considered upsetting:

Despite an otherwise incomparable professional wrestling career, former trainees of the Fabulous Moolah have accused her of everything from sexual exploitation to financial impropriety. In 1961, the Augusta Chronicle reported the former four-time women's champion made $125,000 which, adjusted for inflation, is the equivalent to just over one million dollars in 2018.

Unfortunately, one would be hard-pressed to find glowing stories of Moolah sharing the wealth.

Former trainee Mad Maxine, real name Jeannine Mjoseth, described a torturous environment within Moolah's compound to Bill Fernow of SLAM! Sports. Under the so-called tutelage of the then-living legend, whose influence dominated women's wrestling at the time, women were charged rent in addition to training fees of $1,500.

The accounts only became more horrific as Mjoseth went into further detail: "The girls went into debt to her and she controlled their lives," claimed Mjoseth. "I made sure I had a job so I could have a phone and a car. The others were kind of marooned. It was an environment ripe for abuse."

Source

To clarify, this is just a blog post rather than Forbes themselves coming out and commenting. Nonetheless, I'm sure it's going to get more traction as the match is continued to be built, but I'm not sure how WWE can backtrack so blatantly even after the fact. :skull: 

2 people like this

this is so messy omg.

If they really wanted to attached a name to the battle royale and they do not want to use Chyna's name, they should just make it the "Stephanie McMahon Invitational Battle Royale" or the "Women's Evolution Invitational Battle Royale" or something cringy like that. I rather it be a cringy name than a controversial name tbh. 

1 person likes this

honestly though, is there any female in wrestling they could name this after that wouldn't have some dirty laundry come popping up?? fans are going to find something to bitch about no matter what happens. it could be the Vincent Kennedy McMahon Sr. Battle Royal and people would be like HE SOLD SLAVES!!!! (don't know if that's true, just something that popped into my head) It couldn't be the Queen McCool Battle Royal because she shoots bacteria spreading, crop destroying hogs and probably supported Trump. Couldn't be the Ivory Battle Royal because on one evening she probably got a little too tipsy and made some sort of politically incorrect joke in front of someone who wants revenge ever since she backed over their cat.

3 people like this

Several news outlets have now picked up this story. There are so many names they could have attached to this battle royal, yet they went with this human garbage. I anticipate some kind of change in the next couple weeks, but they may continue to turn a blind eye. 

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

honestly though, is there any female in wrestling they could name this after that wouldn't have some dirty laundry come popping up?? fans are going to find something to bitch about no matter what happens. it could be the Vincent Kennedy McMahon Sr. Battle Royal and people would be like HE SOLD SLAVES!!!! (don't know if that's true, just something that popped into my head) It couldn't be the Queen McCool Battle Royal because she shoots bacteria spreading, crop destroying hogs and probably supported Trump. Couldn't be the Ivory Battle Royal because on one evening she probably got a little too tipsy and made some sort of politically incorrect joke in front of someone who wants revenge ever since she backed over their cat.

Beth Phoenix, who's career skyrocketed off of a win in a battle royal and she's the only woman to have competed in both men's and women's Royal Rumbles, the magnum opus of the battle royal.

Please do not trivialize the allegations against Moolah as 'something to bitch about' if you are the mentally present and cognizant person that I understand you to be. Or at least did before I read this.

9 people like this

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

honestly though, is there any female in wrestling they could name this after that wouldn't have some dirty laundry come popping up?? fans are going to find something to bitch about no matter what happens. it could be the Vincent Kennedy McMahon Sr. Battle Royal and people would be like HE SOLD SLAVES!!!! (don't know if that's true, just something that popped into my head) It couldn't be the Queen McCool Battle Royal because she shoots bacteria spreading, crop destroying hogs and probably supported Drumpf. Couldn't be the Ivory Battle Royal because on one evening she probably got a little too tipsy and made some sort of politically incorrect joke in front of someone who wants revenge ever since she backed over their cat.

To name a few:

giphy.gif

spmjJ5H.gif

eykuAn0.gif

Moolah, as far as I can currently recall, is the only one with serious skeletons laying in her closet. Mildred Burke? Mae Young? Sensational Sherri? Almost any choice would have been better than this one. I would even take Steph over this vile woman. 

4 people like this

2 minutes ago, Cooksie said:

Beth Phoenix, who's career skyrocketed off of a win in a battle royal and she's the only woman to have competed in both men's and women's Royal Rumbles, the magnum opus of the battle royal.

Please do not trivialize the allegations against Moolah as 'something to bitch about' if you are the mentally present and cognizant person that I understand you to be. Or at least did before I read this.

I'm not trivializing anything. Obviously what she did was wrong and corrupt, since that's obvious I didn't restate that in my post, clearly I should have. I was merely pointing out that these days it seems like people will find literally ANYTHING to complain about, no matter what the circumstance. If it was Beth, I'm sure somebody somewhere would come out of the wood work to try and drag her down as well. I was simply replying with my frustrations. This was evidently the wrong thread to do that in, my apologies. I wasn't condoning Moolah or her dishonorable actions in what was a clear attempt to take advantage of athletes and their dreams.

The post really just scratches the surface of what she's done, too, and it's been common knowledge for years, but especially since the documentary was released in the mid-2000s about women's wrestlers of her era where she was exposed by her peers and yet still went on press tours and was hailed for how great she was.

This is really WWE's chance to stand up and stand correct on the Time's Up issue, but I at least feel like they won't be backtracking on this and they won't be addressing the issues at all.

7 people like this

They could have done Wendi Richter, one of the biggest mainstream female stars they ever had. If they wanted someone a bit further in the past instead of more current legends like Trish/Lita/Beth.

Just now, Katy said:

I'm not trivializing anything. Obviously what she did was wrong and corrupt, since that's obvious I didn't restate that in my post, clearly I should have. I was merely pointing out that these days it seems like people will find literally ANYTHING to complain about, no matter what the circumstance. If it was Beth, I'm sure somebody somewhere would come out of the wood work to try and drag her down as well. I was simply replying with my frustrations. This was evidently the wrong thread to do that in, my apologies. I wasn't condoning Moolah or her dishonorable actions in what was a clear attempt to take advantage of athletes and their dreams.

You did, but I appreciate the half-in and half-out acknowledgment of what she's done for the sake of saving face.

Saying that people find anything (all caps) to complain about and speaking of stuff like this in the same breath as people clowning McCool for wanting to make homemade bacon is trivialization. Why would you gripe about people being too loud if you agree the things she was accused of by her contemporaries were foul? Isn't the volume warranted, then?

1 person likes this

Wow the fact that we joked about them naming it after Moolah because we didn't think they were that stupid this time. However as usual, they outdo themselves in this department.

Whats stopping them from honoring Chyna? Are Mae and Moolah the only women they can't remember during their early history? Rockin Robin has a better ring to it as well. I wouldn't want this name attached to my fav as the "first ever Fabulous Moolah etc etc". 

The fact that if WWE didn't go into denial about the divas, we would've had the Sablicious battle royal. :crying:  

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I get what you're saying to some extent, but the bolded suggests that this is brand new information that we're just learning and people have just come out with it because they're displeased with the name of a match when, in reality, it's an open secret in the industry, and everyone just turns a blind eye because of how much free talent she brought to Vince in the 80s and how much money she made him over her career. I feel that (to some extent) you could even see some of the women's discomfort in the video package for the match (particularly Naomi), and that they have hesitations about it, but their jobs are ultimately controlled by what management tells them to do. It's a problem that the match is supposed to bolster up the women yet is built around a name that repressed and abused women for her entire professional career. 

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Katy said:

If it was Beth, I'm sure somebody somewhere would come out of the wood work to try and drag her down as well. 

I highly doubt it. Beth has been hailed by her peers as being humble, respectful, and a pleasure to work with. The fact is that Moolah is the only woman with a serious record and that's the bitch they chose to honor for this match. 

Just now, Angelic said:

Wow the fact that we joked about them naming it after Moolah because we didn't think they were that stupid this time. However as usual, they outdo themselves in this department.

Whats stopping them from honoring Chyna? Are Mae and Moolah the only women they can't remember during their early history? Rockin Robin has a better ring to it as well.

They won't touch her because unlike any other deceased wrestlers with messy personal lives, their personal affairs are directly tied into hers.

It should have honored Chyna. End of. They will deny her the HOF, this is the very LEAST they could do.

Now they can get dragged through the mud and deal with their bad decisions.

EDIT: I am crying at the tag :laycry:

Chyna, Lita or Trish would have been perfect choices. 

okay ignorance here... so this stuff about Moolah was known before the Battle Royal was announced?

Wait, but Sensational Sherri would’ve also been a flawless choice or hell even Elizabeth. They really missed the boat on this. :smh2: 

2 people like this

Just now, Katy said:

okay ignorance here... so this stuff about Moolah was known before the Battle Royal was announced?

There were things out there. It was known for a long time, a lot of people talked about how she was backstage (I remember Leilani Kai and Wendi Richter in particular).

ETA: If I remember correctly there was also a very lengthy article on a wrestler who trained under Moolah and her story was quite heartbreaking, can't remember much but it was known for a long time that Moolah was like this.

1 minute ago, Josh. said:

Wait, but Sensational Sherri would’ve also been a flawless choice or hell even Elizabeth. They really missed the boat on this. :smh2: 

Would she be, though? She shouted out Moolah during her HOF induction. :skull: Bite the bullet and do someone recent, or just stop the 'trophy' gimmick in general and give whoever wins a title shot.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Josh. said:

I completely agree! Miss Elizabeth would have been a great choice. I'm not against them using Sherri either. 

"Sensational" Sherri Memorial Battle Royal is coming. Or Ivory Invitational.

Poison Ivory
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, 2KX said:

There were things out there. It was known for a loong time, a lot of people talked about how she was backstage (I remember Leilani Kai and Wendi Richter in particular).

@Katy She ended Richter's career by doing a screwjob finish with Vince and wrestling her in a mask, though Wendi glanced over it when they asked her to get inducted. Like a lot of this stuff, it's not really new things, just things rising up to the surface now that communication venues are way different. They've stood firmly behind their support of her throughout.

2 people like this