Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooksie

Potential romance angle for GM Paige?

21 posts in this topic

Image result for paige smackdown gm

Now that Paige has asserted her new role as Daniel Bryan's replacement as the SmackDown General Manager, she joins a exclusive class of female authority figures not named Stephanie McMahon in WWE history. From predecessors like Eve Torres to contemporaries like AJ Lee, Paige finds herself in a very special opportunity to use her talking skills and play an even bigger role on the show than she had prior to her in-ring retirement. 

However, like peanut butter to jelly, women in authoritative roles in WWE are often synonymous with romantic storylines-- something few and far between in the WWE, outside of incorporation of real-life relationships. From angles such as the McMahon-Helmsey Era, La Familia with Vickie Guerrero and Edge or AJ Lee and John Cena, the power dynamics of the more marginalized of the two sexes are often tantalizing material for the creative team.

Since I'm obviously here for this since I made the thread, here are my picks, based on likelihood.

#5 - Seth Rollins
RAW_06192017ca_0849JPG.jpg

Seth Rollins is by far one of the most talented male Superstars on the roster; perhaps top five for in-ring performance in the entire WWE. With that said, the newly crowned Intercontinental Champion doesn't really need this storyline to establish himself, but he'd be really fun in it. Like Edge before him, Rollins has experience with manipulating authority to get his way higher up the ranks. And while he's experienced success in capturing the Intercontinental and Tag Team championships, it's been almost two years since he's tasted World championship gold. What better way to get back to the top in the same way that you got there in the first place? With a certain edge being lost in Rollins' character since turning face, a heel Rollins evil laughing his way into vulnerable GM Paige's heart seems like a storyline that could make SmackDown interesting again, but with Seth and Paige not being close outside of the ring and Paige being besties with Seth's ex, it doesn't seem like this one will materialize.

#4 - Dolph Ziggler 

Related image

I know, I know. Don't flame me. Allow me to explain. Despite Dolph Ziggler's physical, personal and professional heydays being well behind him, WWE, for whatever reason, still gets hot for him. To the point where despite having zero intentions of keeping him in a solid storyline or promoting him over much more promising, younger talents, he does occasionally get a shock win and gets fast-tracked into a match that seems pointless for him to have. While I don't suggest this one out of personal desire to see it myself, my offering of him comes as a way to give said booking a point. Ziggler, being twelve years Paige's elder (blech), has a rather familiar tone to it and would definitely resonate and generate heat with audiences if she were to take into his advances, even if Ziggler's most recent relationship storyline did very little favors for his career.

#3 - Sonya Deville
Related image

Oh, y'all wanted a twist, eh?

This one is tricky, but explainable. And feasible! WWE is looking to incorporate an LGBT storyline in the near future. Eyes turn to Finn Balor, who's getting pride merch, but girl... rather than leaping over that hurdle, we could just go with a more easy route and not send a man to do a woman's job. Sonya Deville is, out-of-character, WWE's first openly lesbian performer. And she's developed quickly into a strong standout in the ring. With recent, relevant history with Paige and with all likelihood pointing to her and Mandy Rose going their separate ways for the latter to align with Goldust after the Superstar Shakeup, perhaps this could be their answer. This would in all likelihood, probably be a storyline between two babyfaces rather than the aforementioned suggested heel pairings, and while seemingly a risk doesn't seem too offensive in perspective. Sonya and Paige are great friends out-of-character, Paige is a huge proponent for LGBT rights and this definitely seems like less of an affront to her boyfriend than WWE pairing her with a guy would be.

#2 - Jinder Mahal
 Image result for jinder mahal

This one is... a choice. But one I'll stand by.

Jinder Mahal is one of the few people in WWE that can still draw legitimate heat, so who better to hold the other half of a power couple than him? While he leaves a lot to be desired as an in-ring performer, he's definitely capable of holding his own in a storyline and his more affluent character and persona pursuing a romance with the more down-to-Earth/working class Paige could be an interesting exchange of dynamic on the show that could capture the attention of audiences looking for a more unexpected story arc. Not to mention it'd piss people off.

#1 - Baron Corbin
Image result for baron corbin

This one is a no-brainer. Like the aforementioned Ziggler, Corbin has been floating in and out of the upper midcard on SmackDown Live for the better part of a year, going as far as to win the Money in the Bank Ladder Match... only to lose his attempted to cash-in.

With so many opportunities come and gone for him to finally capture the WWE Championship, Corbin needs to get a little bit creative to stand out from the pack amongst accomplished technical wrestlers such Styles, Bryan and Nakamura-- so, how convenient is it that Paige is around? With an obvious aesthetic match and a previously established friendship out-of-character, this feels like the perfect fit for a potential romantic storyline for Paige, especially with Corbin's talking ability. His snark countered against Shane McMahon's casual authority seems like something bound to make Paige swoon, and could definitely lead to some entertaining segments on SmackDown Live.

Though it's still yet to be determined how Paige will fare in her role, with all things going swimmingly in hypothesis, would you like to see Paige in a romantic storyline as the General Manager or not? And with who, if so? What do you think of my picks? Would you suggest someone not listed? 

3 people like this

The only option I’m here for is Seth at this point. They would kind of serve and since Nikki and Seth never happened this would be the next best thing. 

Baron is basically dead on arrival now so the dream is officially dead. While the aesthetic would serve while he is wearing his beanie he seems to be determined to go bald for the world to see. 

Sonya doesn’t need it I don’t want her sexuality to define her and we all know an angle like this would do just that.

As for Dolphin and Jinger.

source.gif

I wouldn't be opposed to it but they need to come up with a way to make it fresh and elevated.

12 minutes ago, Cooksie said:

#3 - Sonya Deville
Related image

Oh, y'all wanted a twist, eh?

This one is tricky, but explainable. And feasible! WWE is looking to incorporate an LGBT storyline in the near future. Eyes turn to Finn Balor, who's getting pride merch, but girl... rather than leaping over that hurdle, we could just go with a more easy route and not send a man to do a woman's job. Sonya Deville is, out-of-character, WWE's first openly lesbian performer. And she's developed quickly into a strong standout in the ring. With recent, relevant history with Paige and with all likelihood pointing to her and Mandy Rose going their separate ways for the latter to align with Goldust after the Superstar Shakeup, perhaps this could be their answer. This would in all likelihood, probably be a storyline between two babyfaces rather than the aforementioned suggested heel pairings, and while seemingly a risk doesn't seem to offensive in perspective. Sonya and Paige are great friends out-of-character, Paige is a huge proponent for LGBT rights and this definitely seems like less of an affront to her boyfriend than WWE pairing her with a guy would be.

BITCH YES IM HERE FOR THIS

6 people like this

Here for Jinder playing the Edge to her Vickie. The one with Sonya would be kind of Iconic though :rot: 

1 person likes this

Baron tbh, it's literally a match made in heaven :cry: 

Sonya would be cute too, but I don't trust the WWE fans or creative/mgmt to approach it honestly and respectfully. I think we've (slightly) evolved past (most of) the fans chanting f*g at superstars and letting them be who they are, but I have a hard time not believing that straight male WWE fans will always see a F/F relationship as titillating, especially involving someone like Paige who has a natural sexual energy.

4 people like this

BARON AND PAIGE TOGETHER WOULD BE EVERYTHING :shook: I'm even willing to fake stan Paige during the storyline.

In all seriousness, and even though I love these kind of storylines, all the female GMs always end up in a relationship/storyline with a man (unlike most of the male GMs with women) that makes them lose their mind.  For once, it'd be cool to see a female GM standing for herself without a man by her side being the main focus of her decisions.

But like I said above, I love this kind of storylines so I won't be mad if that happens.

IfFENkc.gif

Nobody, just because a woman is GM doesn't mean she needs to be in a romantic angle.. Romance storylines suck anyways. 

It’s a no from me dog

IfFENkc.gif

6 people like this

No to all of it. She just can't be that rebellious unorthodox HBIC? Sis gotta be tied to a man to validate her power? Nah

4 minutes ago, Angelic said:

No to all of it. She just can't be that rebellious unorthodox HBIC? Sis gotta be tied to a man to validate her power? Nah

Where did I say that, funky bitch? Don't put words into the post.

1 person likes this

ATTENTION❗️❗️Issa no from me

0b2rnR9.gif

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, Don Draper said:

ATTENTION❗️❗️Issa no from me

0b2rnR9.gif

Ryanicorn to you

--

BTW, this is all you had to say. @Angelic Hence why included a WOMAN in the damn post to negate the narrative that ain't even exist in it. Ugh, my foresight. :shook:  Moving along!

0b2rnR9.gif

2 hours ago, Foxy said:

BARON AND PAIGE TOGETHER WOULD BE EVERYTHING :shook: I'm even willing to fake stan Paige during the storyline.

In all seriousness, and even though I love these kind of storylines, all the female GMs always end up in a relationship/storyline with a man (unlike most of the male GMs with women) that makes them lose their mind.  For once, it'd be cool to see a female GM standing for herself without a man by her side being the main focus of her decisions.

But like I said above, I love this kind of storylines so I won't be mad if that happens.

IfFENkc.gif

Out of Baron and Paige, the latter is who you have to fake stan?

IfFENkc.gif

1 person likes this

The only reason I’m saying no is because of those ugly ass fans. After last year, I wouldn’t want her having any sort of romantic ties with a male superstar (regardless if scripted). 

IfFENkc.gif

1 person likes this

can alicia take a dip in the lady pond to get herself a title run? :uhh:

IfFENkc.gif

1 hour ago, Cooksie said:

Ryanicorn to you

--

BTW, this is all you had to say. @Angelic Hence why included a WOMAN in the damn post to negate the narrative that ain't even exist in it. Ugh, my foresight. :shook:  Moving along!

0b2rnR9.gif

I'm not talking about you and your narratives, I'm talking about the fact that WWE would do 4/5 of those options for the reasons I mentioned already, and it's ugly. Foresee that!

0b2rnR9.gif

It's a NO