Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooksie

Who should (hypothetically) main event WrestleMania 35 vs. Ronda Rousey?

Who should (hypothetically) main event WrestleMania 35 vs. Ronda Rousey?   21 votes

1. 1. Let's see...

• Alexa Bliss
    • Asuka
    • Charlotte Flair
    • Nia Jax
    • Natalya
    • Sasha Banks
    • Other (state below)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

Ronda-Rousey-WrestleMania-35.jpg

Last week, I posed the question-- who was WWE's poster girl? I did so to parlay into this larger discussion, about the hypothetical (and probable?) scenario in which a headlining match for a WrestleMania would feature Ronda Rousey competing for either of WWE's women's championships.

With this clearly being a game-changing step in a long (long) march towards something beyond a 'revolution' and more representative of finite equality fiscally and creatively between the WWE's women's division and its male counterpart, Ronda Rousey needs an apt dance partner. Someone who can complete an iconic match-up that would rival the likes of Hogan vs. Rock, Stone Cold vs. HBK and The Rock vs. John Cena. A woman who will carry the WWE's flag on her back as she goes in to potentially defend or take back the crown jewel of her respective women's division.

So, the question is: who?

Base your criteria of off:
PR Savvy - Is she capable of marketing the match and herself as the character to beat Ronda Rousey, let alone in the main of WrestleMania?
Visibility and Previous Relevance - What has she done lately? Is it realistic that she would be able to not only be primed, but accepted in the eyes of the fans as someone who's going to hold this distinct honor that the legendary females of the past couldn't have dreamed of doing in their prime?
Accomplishments and Legitimacy - What does she bring to the table in the tale of the tape comparison? Will she be marketed as an underdog or as a major foil? Is her past history in the WWE sustainable enough to hold on to Ronda's massive, industry shifting success in the UFC that will largely be factored into the promotion of the match?
End Game - Ronda is already a mainstream star athlete, so what is the end game of this person being her opponent in the main event of WrestleMania? Is she the star WWE wants to shine bright even after Ronda has moved on from wrestling?

I'd love for it to be Nattie. She's deserving, that's for damn sure. I think they could really build their friendship, then end up having Ronda turn on her, or Nattie turn, whatever floats their goat.

And if not her, Sasha. She can carry a mop to a good match.

I think the more obvious choices would be Sasha or Charlotte, with little explanation needed. They're easily the two girls who you'd expect to get this kind of push to the biggest main event of the year for the company. They have also both proven time and time again that they can give memorable moments when the pressure is on, and something like this would definitely turn that on. Another choice that may be a little less popular, but I think could work really well in the long run, would be Natalya. They drafted her and immediately she turned face to be Ronda's buddy. With the right build, they could play it like Nattie was keeping Ronda close to learn everything about her, earn her trust, and figure out exactly how to knock her down a few pegs and end her legacy, or something along those lines. Nattie has the respect of the fans and was really great in her heel character when given time to play with it. I'm not sure anyone else on the roster at this point is big enough or accomplished enough besides these 3 to get a match like this.

1 person likes this

Sasha, she would push Ronda to the edge. Really bring that UFC fire out that clearly Vince wants :newspaper:

I was just thinking about this earlier and while Charlotte obviously makes the most sense based on booking/accomplishments (ended Asuka's streak and has the most reigns to her name) + appealing to a mainstream audience (daughter of Ric Flair) and will no doubt be the one to get the match if it's a singles, I feel like Sasha would be the most entertaining. The promos would largely suck but she'd be able to sell the intensity and I feel like would make for the most enjoyable match. :clap:

1 person likes this

voted for nattie but it would make sense for her to face the woman who dragged her husband :boostfox:

I’m not here for Ronda getting such a feat but if she is hopefully it’s with a girl that can carry her well. So Charlotte (will put effort because of the stakes), Sasha , or Stephanie would be an ideal candidate for this. However this will be a big flop if the storyline is truly just we are main eventing to make history as women. This will need a feud that has the animosity and star power to truly be worth getting such an honor. Looking at the history of the women’s feuds the last few years I don’t have hope for this being truly memorable.

Just now, Shoaib. said:

I was just thinking about this earlier and while Charlotte obviously makes the most sense based on booking/accomplishments (ended Asuka's streak and has the most reigns to her name) + appealing to a mainstream audience (daughter of Ric Flair) and will no doubt be the one to get the match if it's a singles, I feel like Sasha would be the most entertaining. The promos would largely suck but she'd be able to sell the intensity and I feel like would make for the most enjoyable match. :clap:

"Baddest woman on the planet? Sweetheart, you're not even the baddest in WWE. I am."

tumblr_p7gvt6DeZ91tg72yro8_400.gif

8 people like this

35 minutes ago, Shoaib. said:

There would definitely be a cult feeling to it as well if they went full fanservice and Sasha was full-out heel before the match. Ronda's narrative in UFC was always shutting up trash talkers, when the WrestleMania fans turn on her in favor Sauca talking shit :crying: 

But they wouldn't

I lowkey want Asuka most tho :crying: the sequences/crispness would be :shook: 

Posted (edited)

Charlotte is the only option. It's the only match worth main-eventing WrestleMania.. Asuka would be good if her streak never ended.

It's Charlotte. She's the top star in the women's division. There's no other option.

Edited by Messiah
3 people like this

I would like to think that Ronda still has plenty of room to flop, as we all know she has room to grow, but I think at this point they've invested so much into getting her there and making her a fixture of the division that, even if she's bad, it's inevitable that she's going to be headlining WM at some point in the future. Charlotte always seems to get these incredible payoffs when she's in high-profile matches, so I'm not sure if this would be the opportunity for her to face Ronda or not since she doesn't typically show out when it's not going to make her look good or when she's not winning. It all depends on Ronda's development, too, as I don't think Charlotte can carry someone with a limited moveset and little training to a decent match--but then again, why book her against Nia Jax for a fun filler feud? They obviously don't care too much how Ronda looks as long as her name appears on the card. Ronda/Charlotte also pits WWE royalty vs. UFC royalty which reads good on paper, along with Charlotte's contrived myriad of accomplishments making her seem like a real threat to Ronda's supposed dominance. It makes sense, and I don't see it happening any other way, but I'd much rather see Ronda in a match with someone that we know can make her look like she knows what she's doing.

Omg imagine sitting through Ronda vs Nattie in the main event at Wrestlemania :dying: 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

It should have been an undefeated Asuka in a streak vs streak match but they can't do that now.

Edited by communist

1 hour ago, Josh. said:

Omg imagine sitting through Ronda vs Nattie in the main event at Wrestlemania :dying: 

Nattie would still hit her baseball drop kick like it’s fresh and exciting. Followed up by her signature you like Ronda \0/ for crickets :jeigz2:

3 people like this

Charlotte or Sasha.

It'll be Charlotte. Anyone suggesting anybody else is delusional. :k2: 

Undefeated Asuka vs. Ronda could have slayed (and was probably the original plan) but neither can cut a promo and if the women are going to main event Mania, at least one of them needs to be able to cut a promo and sell the match. Also, hopefully Charlotte turns heel when she inevitably has a championship rematch with Asuka. I am not here for another face vs. face match. Just let Charlotte become an unbearable, cocky heel. 

I feel like it'll be Charlotte vs Ronda w Nattie cashing in just like Seth. For me Nattie makes the most sense storyline wise, she's definitely the most deserving and is being built up again as a credible threat on RAW.

Realistically Charlotte is losing the mitb but winning the Rumble. It’s the only logical way they can make this match happen.

6 hours ago, communist said:

It should have been an undefeated Asuka in a streak vs streak match but they can't do that now.

Armbar vs Armbar works too.

But I'm guessing it's Charlotte. I think most of the people in WWE see it coming too.

8 hours ago, Eva Flair said:

Armbar vs Armbar works too.

But I'm guessing it's Charlotte. I think most of the people in WWE see it coming too.

when BECKY takes Shonda’s arm AND takes her catch phrase back in the main event of WM:shook: 

case closed!

wyLeovL.gif

Do I need to say more? Alicia vs Ronda is the match we deserve. Can't wait for my smart fave to come back and continue the build up she started. Her mind :shook:(I know this is not happening, so don't quote and let my delusional ass be happy with this fantasy booking)

2 people like this

Ronda Rousey vs Liv Morgan :boostfox:

On 13/06/2018 at 1:56 AM, Messiah said:

Charlotte is the only option. It's the only match worth main-eventing WrestleMania.. Asuka would be good if her streak never ended.

It's Charlotte. She's the top star in the women's division. There's no other option.

Did you just... make some sense?

I agree, it's Charlotte and there is no other option in WWE's eyes. While a match featuring Ronda is the most likely that would main event WM, I'm not so confident it will actually happen.