Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ninja Balenciaga

Knockout Claims Ember Moon Took Her Gimmick

68 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If you've watched Impact Wrestling recently and thought that Kiera Hogan's "girl on fire" gimmick looked familiar, there's a reason why.

Hogan appeared at a 2015 WWE tryout and pitched her "Hogan with a little bit of fire," persona during a session that also involved eventual NXT Women's Champion and current WWE Raw star Ember Moon. When speaking to Fightful.com ahead of her Ladies Night Out 3 cage match main event with Ivelisse, Kiera says she was the inspiration for a gimmick that Moon took.

"I know for a fact I'm the reason she did it. I try not to look at it in a negative way, but in the end it is negative, because it's something that I did first. Something that I brought to my company first. She debuted it at NXT Takeover Mania weekend. I saw her come out and my heart literally dropped. I knew what was coming after that. I got tweets, DMs, saying 'You're the ripoff version, you're the cheap version of Ember Moon.' Because she's taken something that I've worked so hard to make my own, now I'm the ripoff version. In retrospect, it's like you stole something from me, and doesn't acknowledge she did, but I worked so hard to get to where I am being the "girl on fire," and now I'm the ripoff version of her. It hurts me, and all the work I put into this character. I'm not going to give up," said Hogan

WWE has adopted several references to fire, including calling Becky Lynch "Girl on Fire." Several months after Hogan appeared at the tryout, Moon would appear on WWE TV similarly. Hogan told me about her interactions with Moon during their tryout.

"I think the 'Girl on Fire' thing WWE probably gave to (Becky Lynch), but I bet Ember (pitched hers). She was at my tryout. I saw her sign her contract, she cried when she signed her contract. After the tryout she text me and said 'I wanna help you get booked on shows,' after that I've never spoken to her and that was almost four years ago. I know she got the inspiration from me. It doesn't help that we're two black females, so I'll automatically get compared to her," Kiera said.

Despite the negative experience, Hogan has found success in a run with Impact Wrestling. She was passed over for the first Mae Young Classic tournament, and said that she maintained a loose connection to WWE.

"I don't think it hindered my opportunity. The last time I heard from them was about a year and a half, two years ago. I was at a Raw event and I had emailed someone and didn't get a response back, but someone emailed me saying they needed updated information, promo pictures, updated resume. I sent it in and they were like 'okay, we'll contact you for a future tryout.' Nothing. I did extras maybe a couple of months after that. I just let it fizzle out. If they contact me, awesome, if not, I'm going to keep doing me. Impact knocked on my door first, and I'm happy to be there," said Hogan.

In the full interview, Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful.com speaks to Impact Wrestling's Kiera Hogan about Ember Moon taking her gimmick, her Impact Wrestling contract and future, Ladies Night Out 3 against Ivelisse in a cage, and Hulk Hogan being back in WWE's good graces!

Kiera appears courtesy of Ladies Night Out 3 - Aug 18th -Bell time 7:30pm - Texas City. Streaming live on TitleMatchNetwork.com . Presented by Title Match Network & Booker T's Reality of Wrestling.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-kiera-hogan-ember-moon-taking-her-gimmick-my-heart-sank-when-i-saw?utm_source=TW-FightfulWrestling&utm_medium=Fightful%20Wrestling%20News&utm_campaign=dlvr.it.organic

They were at the same WWE tryout.

This seems like a bit of a reach for Kiera.

Edited by Ninja Balenciaga

I get it but why is it that the Knockouts always have something to say about the WWE Women

5JRFJHK.gif

5 people like this

We've been so confused as to what Ember's gimmick actually is since she debuted but no where is she referenced to as 'The Girl on Fire'. Miss Hogan clearly didn't do a good enough job of establishing the character herself since we been wondering what it is for 3 years now.

So what she's essentially saying is all of this is stemming from the fact that Ember died her hair orange?

Xmm0SSS.gif  

3 people like this

Who tf calls ember the girl on fire or something related to fire 

Xmm0SSS.gif

Is the ceiling so low for women in wrestling that they're out here declaring vendettas over hair dye? :rot: 

9 people like this

Ember Moon already annoys me tbh so I'm just going to take Kiera's word as fact because at least she's serving a likable personality unlike Ember.

1 person likes this

it's something that I did first.

exit stage left chased by bear.

tumblr_nrv75hsUag1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

1 person likes this

i believe it.
- the name ember
- her theme song is called free the flame and is all about fire: seek the truth and let the wildfire set you free, one ember sparks a fire, one ember feeds the flames, now burn, burn, yeah (or whatever the lyrics are).
- the fire-colored hair
- this video package title:

Spoiler

- tweets like these:

Spoiler

- the vignette about the prophecy of fire when she was about to debut:

Spoiler

i don't really understand the gimmick that well anyway, but it is definitely fire-related. i think there is more to it than just fire, but i definitely think she took some inspiration from kiera's idea and the gimmick that kiera has been doing on the indies. i think they should have hired kiera instead and she would have done it better, but at least we can see her on impact.

6 people like this

22 minutes ago, Amlex said:

Who tf calls ember the girl on fire or something related to fire 

Xmm0SSS.gif

her name is literally ember

Xmm0SSS.gif

6 people like this

think Ember’s gimmick is supposed to be some post-apocalyptic warrior woman but it comes across more like a voodoo princess alien with lots of gymnastic experience. Where the gimmick infringement is there, I don’t know. 

:jeigz: 

13 people like this

Kiera putting in some flames in her attire and calling herself the girl on fire. 

Maryse did it first, mawma! 

Xmm0SSS.gif

7 people like this

Call her OUT, Ms. Hogan. We aren't staying mute on cultural appropriation anymore. Not in 2018.

vXhOSU0.gif

10 people like this

5 minutes ago, Jeigz said:

think Ember’s gimmick is supposed to be some post-apocalyptic warrior woman but it comes across more like a voodoo princess alien with lots of gymnastic experience. Where the gimmick infringement is there, I don’t know. 

:jeigz: 

I think commentary tried to put her over as the 'war goddess' for a little, but I think they gave up. Serving Sarah Logan being from the farm one week and queen of the vikings the next. I kind of feel bad cause outside of the moon thing the two other avenues she tried got taken by other people. Becky has fire and Alexa has the whole goddess thing. 

I liked it better when she was just some random bitch from the moon who didn't understand human interaction. It was somehow slightly less confusing than whatever she has now :michael:

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Gavin said:

her name is literally ember

Xmm0SSS.gif

Thought that was a word that WWE invented like Mendes

Xmm0SSS.gif

Edited by Amlex
5 people like this

Ember looks a whole fool every week from her halloween aisle colored contacts to her foaming mouth that she can't ever shut. It's an embarrassing gimmick. Consider yourself blessed sis.

Xmm0SSS.gif

5 people like this

22 minutes ago, prince. said:

Kiera putting in some flames in her attire and calling herself the girl on fire. 

Maryse did it first, mawma! 

Xmm0SSS.gif

Actually I believe Melina did it first.

Xmm0SSS.gif

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

Actually I believe Melina did it first.

Xmm0SSS.gif

cancel this game :skull:

latest?cb=20160223162008

6 people like this

9 minutes ago, Gavin said:

cancel this game :skull:

latest?cb=20160223162008

We don’t claim her I said what I said.

2 people like this

y’all ruin everything. 

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

We don’t claim her I said what I said.

y'all always trying to revise history for melina like when y'all said she was the first real african american divas champion :skull:

Xmm0SSS.gif

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, WWFoverWWE said:

y'all always trying to revise history for melina like when y'all said she was the first real african american divas champion :skull:

Xmm0SSS.gif

Just like you constantly bring up the past for Naomi?

Xmm0SSS.gif

Just now, Eric said:

Just like you constantly bring up the past for Naomi?

Xmm0SSS.gif

that was once bc I was in the mood

Xmm0SSS.gif

1 person likes this

I lowkey feel bad for her because the entire “free the flame” theme etc it all kinda adds up, even though idk what ember is doing right now. Let’s be honest, the WWE women can easily take stuff from Indy girls and use it because of their bigger platform and budget to actually execute these ideas. 

7 people like this

:ahh: Imagine believing that Ember Fool actually has a gimmick and that you created it :ahh: 

3 people like this