Cooksie

Bigger Missed Opportunity?

Bigger Missed Opportunity?   30 votes

1. 1. ?

• Lana
    • Eva Marie
  2. 2. Can Lana still reach larger heights (i.e. Women's Champion) in WWE?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 posts in this topic

Image result for lana eva marie

These two were the prime candidates by WWE officials to be the next big thing in the post-Fab Four era of WWE. But, due to a myriad of mishaps, it never came to light. Who was the bigger missed opportunity for the women's division: Lana or Eva Marie?

Rumors circulated in 2015 that WWE was looking to position Eva Marie and/or Lana as future stars in the women's division in the coming years. After husband Rusev's initial push for the United States Championship had dissipated at WrestleMania 31, Lana's character would become more of a focal point in the summer that followed, as she was paired with Dolph Ziggler and turned babyface. The plan was for Lana to be 'Americanized' and be known as "CJ"; a hot, blonde bombshell character. A big blow-off/coming out party for Lana was planned at SummerSlam 2015 between her and Dolph against Rusev and Summer Rae would be cancelled after Lana sustained an injury in training and (allegedly) contacted TMZ in regards to her and Rusev's in-real life engagement, which irritated officials and ultimately led to Lana being placed back with Rusev again. She has intermittently flirted with active in-ring competition since then, even competing for the SmackDown Women's Championship and in the Money in the Bank Ladder match in consecutive years, but no real overtures have been made since in regards to positioning her any higher or making her an act separate from Rusev.

Alternatively, Eva Marie was sent back down to WWE's developmental territory, NXT, following WrestleMania 31 and two seasons of featuring on E!'s Total Divas. Enlisting the likes of Brian Kendrick for private training (which was ultimately brought up as a focal point of the Total Divas arc in Season 4), Eva Marie returned to NXT ready to wow... but, she didn't. Instead, a unique archetype was re-introduced in which her mere appearance created controversy-- a beautiful woman with a lot of corporate backing, but little physical ability. This gimmick parlayed her into a Women's Championship match on NXT TV and a lot of hype for a main roster transition of the gimmick following the brand extension of 2016, which inevitably wouldn't happen due to a Wellness policy violation and an irate husband-ger leading her every move.

With the backing of The Rock and Henry Cavill's management company, Eva left the WWE to pursue a career in film, or in fashion, or in modeling, or in makeup, or in YouTube, or in podcasting, or in motivational speaking, or in psuedo-celebrity status, or in having a different hair color. Whichever came first. Meanwhile, Lana holds the fort down as a part of Rusev's "Rusev Day" act, the peak of her husband's marketability within their collective tenure in WWE.

With all things considered and their respective appeals, who was the bigger loss for the company? Does Lana still have a chance to reach a bigger peak within the women's division?

Both turned out to be trash.

tumblr_inline_p2v428swbb1rbgerg_540.gif

3 people like this

But to answer the question, Eva I guess.

1 person likes this

I never liked Eva Marie. Lana is obviously better than her. More talented, looks, promos... Just look at her. BYE FLOPEVA MARIE.

2 people like this

She kind of already is one of the all time greatest heels but Eva would have been the single greatest heel had she not left.

0b2rnR9.gif

4 people like this

I'm curious how long the heat would've lasted with Eva or if people would've got tired and ended up just being silent. If she kept getting boos, I think it would've stayed entertaining. But that act can also get old.

2 people like this

Lana as the Russian heel sniping the total divas like a bad bitch is a mood she has yet to top, now she's just another goofy stealing ha man's dumb slogans stuck on repeat

She still serves looks though

3 people like this

Eva for the first question. Frankly she should have stayed in NXT longer. She was putting in the effort to improve but the main roster schedule wasn't going to allow her to get to the next level. Once the violation happened she stopped giving a shit and so did WWE. It was probably for the best though bc I feel the plan was to eventually give her the SD title and that would've been painful to watch.

Lana shouldn't be leading any division, but if they introduce tag titles she can win that and stfu already

Eva definitely would’ve been bigger. She had a similar cross-over appeal that the Bellas have. I remember in the first few seasons on TD, despite being one of the least interesting ones, gaining biggest fan base along with the twins. And the way she had the WWE crowd on the palm of her hand, even when she was making sporadic appearances, is still unmatched in recent memory. She’s flopping right now (from what we can see, I don’t keep up with her like that anymore) because pulled the trigger too fast on her career but she had the potential to reach really high highs. 

As far as the second question, Lana still has a chance. She’s very likable as a face and has the skills to be a good heel. I still hope she keeps growing as a wrestler because she’s done all she could as a manager since they refuse to cut ties with Rusev. 

1 person likes this

I don’t think either were ever going to move mountains, tbh. I was very surprised at the feature Eva was given during the brand split, and it was working until her suspension, but would she have served any role other than a transitional champion and a heat magnet to get Becky/Naomi over? She probably would have been SD Women’s Champion, and arguably could have halted or postponed Bliss’s rise to the top, so I guess that’s something to consider. Still, she had a lot of work to do if she were going to become the full package, and I don’t think she was willing to put it in, and I don’t think WWE was willing to wait any longer for her to do so. It’s probably a good thing her suspension came when it did. I respect that Eva did her best, but I don’t think 90% of the audience did, and she would have been torn apart rather than praised, regardless of her level of proficiency.   

I’m ambivalent about Lana, because I think she’s always been best as a manager, but it’s nice that she’s still getting to show how hard she’s worked to become an in-ring performer. I think at her peak she was more over and more popular than Eva and than most of the women on the roster, but the wacky circumstances of her cancelling her own push are bizarre and complicated to me. That probably makes her the bigger missed opportunity for me, as she was so popular, but I think she is better off. She’s probably not going to ever be a serious title contender either, but I think she’s accepted that and she’s just happy to be working with her husband and getting to wrestle on occasion. 

2 people like this

I just never saw it for Eva tbh. She always seemed completely uninterested in being there, which made any potential push she had coming seem pointless. Why invest in someone who has no desire to be there?

Not to mention, both women are/were terrible in the ring even after training. Putting them at the top of either division would have been a disaster. 

i said this in the podcast thread but i feel if they never tried with eva and just had lana in her place from the very beginning (having her be the rookie diva on total divas) then she would've garnered the same heat eva had, except with time she would've gotten better due to her actual passion for wrestling. so it's a shame that eva wasted what feels like a once-in-a-lifetime slot for anyone that can probably never be replicated.

in terms of the actual future for both, i don't see eva doing anything of importance, but i do see lana having a good career. not sure if it'll be a 10/10 career, but with a lot of hard work and patience i'm sure the title will be around her waist one day.

I don't understand what people saw in Eva. She was pretty, but that was it in my opinion. She always came across as flat on screen. Monotonous and boring.

and let's be real, the biggest missed opportunity was with Emma.

2 people like this

Ummm Eva. Lana is doing well for herself now though even though she should be a little further along skill wise. But Eva also served her purpose and is living a life of leisure in a mansion doing nothing. :draglina:

1 person likes this

Eva was always going to bounce, whether it was sooner than it happened or later- she was never in it for the full ride. She saw opportunities to give her fame and fortune without needing to run the ropes.

So to answer your question, Lana was the bigger missed opprotunity. She could have been the next “Kelly Kelly” had they really took her push seriously. They could have easily rebounded with that TMZ scandal and gave her another program, but they decide to drop her from that push. Now it’s kinda too late to push her into anything serious, given how women’s wrestling is viewed now. 

Edited by Mandy Rose

Lana is not even at the peak of her career, imo. The potential for bigger things is still all there. Meanwhile, Eva is a neverwas in wrestling. It was never gonna happen for her. She didn’t have the support system or even the background that Lana possesses to go further in sports entertainment. It’s probably for the better that Eva left when she did and she’s at least got her Nordstrom and podcast deals along with a burgeoning YouTube career.

Fuck Eva for getting suspended when she's about to become the firs STDLive Women's Champ.

surrender

I wouldn’t say Eva was a missed opportunity. They were just about to push her but she backed out the moment she got one movie role. I actually think Alexa wouldn’t have been pushed as much had Eva stayed. I mean she had the show that used all women still focus on her the most. So that was on her.

With Lana I think they should’ve stuck with her as wrestler after her original debut at WM. Made no sense to have her go back to managing. Her momentum was lost and the moment she debuted on SD as a dancer with that theme I knew they were over her as a serious character. I don’t think she can bounce back though, they clearly see her as the Dana of SD, switching between managing and wrestling, just a tad bit more relevant. She won’t prosper with the rosters being so crowded.

Fuck a Lana basic ass, it should have been Cameron given the treatment Eva had.  She already had the heat.  Better mic skills, could wrestle and was getting better and better in NXT, gave Asuka her best squash.  They dropped the ball

2 people like this

As a fan of both, I can unbiasedly say Eva is the correct answer. I would like to THINK Lana has the ability to rise again given the fact that she and her husband are very over.... but I just don’t see them trusting her after that TMZ stunt to be in a top spot and I don’t think they’re here for Ruru like thaT... in order for one to rise, you’d have to have both of them rise. Ugh, just thinking about that Adolph/Lana situation makes me ITCH :rot: She really stopped everybody, including herself from getting their bag... I- :beckytate:

They tried to have Eva and Lana be the same character. Eva was 100% aware of her character and what she had to do (which wasn't much) and everyone seethe when she so much as blinked. Also, it was pretty clear the division was being built around her.

Lana could easily sell sexy siren too, but sis wants to pop and lock at every turn. On top of that, she didn't have half the heat Eva did because she's over asf. And they didn't have nearly as big a vision for her as they did for Eva.

Eva is absolutely the bigger missed opportunity. One of the biggest "what if's" I'll always grieve about in WWE. Right up there with "what if Eve stayed longer".