Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shumiley

Think Piece: Why The Bella Twins Mean So Much More To The Women’s Revolution Than You Realize

11 posts in this topic

Really good think piece on the Bellas. Kinda too long to post here, so here are some highlights (read the article for the full thing!):

Though the Bella Twins are subject to derision from an exclusively negative segment of the WWE Universe, their contributions to women’s wrestling shouldn’t be ignored. They stand today as irreplaceable icons in WWE’s Women’s Evolution, because they were the gateway from “Divas” era wrestling to “Women’s” wrestling.

The Bella Twins first made their debut on WWE Television in 2008, when Brie Bella defeated Victoria. Most of their programs in their early years involved love angles or storylines that fell in line with the general portrayal of women’s wrestling as a sideshow and not the depiction of an athletic contest. You know, what professional wrestling is supposed to be.

By 2015, however, Nikki Bella lost the Divas Championship to Charlotte Flair after a 301-day reign, putting together the best match of her career in the process. Charlotte’s eventual WrestleMania 32 victory for the new Women’s Championship signified a complete transition from the “Divas” era to the “Women’s Revolution”.

Along the way, The Bella Twins became scapegoats, seen as relics of a past era of women’s wrestling. The Bellas are vilified by many of the same fans who claim to be undying supporters of women’s wrestling. Besides the jumble of selective feminists, there are wrestling writers who perpetuate this notion that the Bellas are a lasting stain on women’s wrestling.

Much of this animosity towards the Bellas dates back to AJ Lee’s famous “Pipebomb” promo during the Divas Era, where most of her criticisms seemed to be directed towards the Bellas.

It’s pathetic how grown adults (I was going to say men, but I would like to be spared from the inevitable #ButNotAllMen troglodytes) can cling onto a character-driven promo as an element of irrevocable truth while completely neglecting the fact that both of these women chose to continue wrestling.

You can’t sit there and chastise the Bellas for building a strong online presence and brand that includes a wine label, clothing line, and several high-profile guest appearances, while ignoring the fact that they didn’t eschew wrestling due to their increasing popularity outside the squared circle.

Nikki, for example, could have easily hung up her boots, because unlike WWE’s male part-timers in Hollywood, Nikki left wrestling due to a career-threatening neck injury. On top of that, Brie gave birth to her first child, meaning that she had to juggle being a mother and training to resume the career she loves.

Few people seem to realize the significance of this, even though Nikki and Brie have been quite open about their struggles. The Bella Twins legitimately love pro wrestling as much as anyone else, and it is frustrating to see fans fail to recognize this while celebrating the comeback stories of other wrestlers. Yes, those comebacks should be celebrated, but why is the threshold set so much higher for the Bellas?

It can’t be because they take away opportunities from others when they wrestle, since that just doesn’t hold any water. Since 2014, Brie Bella has been involved in just three title matches, losing literally all of them (one of them was that 14-woman match). In 2018 as a weekly performer, she’s just there to support Daniel Bryan in his feud against The Miz and Maryse or support Ronda Rousey alongside Nikki.

As for Nikki, she hasn’t been in the title picture since losing a Six-Pack Challenge for the SmackDown Women’s Championship at Backlash 2016 (aka the Becky Lynch PPV). She was a regular on SmackDown Live, but her main feuds were with Carmella and Natalya, and despite what people say about her lack of wrestling ability, her matches with Carmella  were decent, and that was when Carmella was at her most “green” on the main roster. Plus, she had a hell of a “Falls Count Anywhere” match against Natalya.

The lies

Nothing but unbiased tea. A legend to me is a game changer and they absolutely changed the game, thus they are legends. That cannot be disputed.

Also this part in particular is important for both the smarks and Diva stans who still hang onto the pipebombshell:

The problem with gleaning anything serious from Lee’s promo is that it was clearly an over-the-top, in-character promo. Yes, there were elements of reality, since Lee turned down a spot on Total Divas, but if you believe for one second that Lee saw her co-workers as “useless”, “expendable”, or “worthless excuses for women”, then you are either remarkably gullible or maliciously misinterpreting her words to fit this narrative that the Bellas ruined wrestling.

No, seriously. You are incapable of performing basic research if you still reference that promo as an example of the Bellas’ toxicity, or whatever asinine point you want to concoct from the barren wasteland of the space that lies in between your ears. Even Lee herself made it clear that her “character” was acting like a “douche” when members of the roster took her comments personally. So why did Lee cut such a controversial promo? She was a heel who wanted to get the women on TV more often. It’s the exact same reason why any wrestler takes a risk.

3 people like this

They are the biggest names to come out of the Divas disivon, with maybe AJ being the only arguable name. It’s just not up for debate. Their impact is undeniable. 

2 people like this

this same tired tune :rot: they should be proud of what they've accomplished but seeking universal acceptance and praise is just not going to happen. They represent an era that ppl want to forget for the most part, even though they contributed positively to it, but not everyone chooses to remember those things. It's disappointing but wrestling fans are just dumb in general. Not us tho :stephanie:

2 people like this

34 minutes ago, WWFoverWWE said:

this same tired tune :rot: they should be proud of what they've accomplished but seeking universal acceptance and praise is just not going to happen. They represent an era that ppl want to forget for the most part, even though they contributed positively to it, but not everyone chooses to remember those things. It's disappointing but wrestling fans are just dumb in general. Not us tho :stephanie:

you're right tbh. like at this point, if you aren't gonna accept that the bellas are good and important wrestlers then you probably never will. there's literally not a thing they can do to change people's minds because any non-believers are just hateful by choice. 

1 person likes this

Oop this tea. It’s so annoying having this narrative still having to be debated at this point. 

1 person likes this

Let me screenshot and bookmark this gospel. Nobody can deny any piece of their impact md what they've done not even just for women's wrestling but for the company in general, in addition to what they continue to do. Nikki is one bad hit away from a wheelchair and she refuses to give it up. 

From the very beginning they showed up to tryouts in workout gear ready to fighT, while literally everyone else were in bikinis. They worked their asses off and waited for everything they've been given (and have yet to be given), but everything they have is beyond due. And that's that on that.

tumblr_n9hghdpDxz1sxmf6fo1_500.gif

2 people like this

Anyone who tries to deny their impact at this point is just a blind hater. 

2 people like this

Wow this was a great read, I met the Bellas once at a convention and the dumb bitch that was taking pictures for everyone who posed with the Bellas didn't hit the camera button on my dad's phone so we only have the autographs for memories, I was kind of young and after looking up from the paper they autographed Nikki smiled and chuckled at me and it touched my damn heart :brandon:

THIS TEA. I can't really say what's already been said in this thread.

I am beyond SICK of the blind Bella hate. I occasionally go back on Wrestling Forum but usually have to leave before I end up wanting to put out a hit on the misogynists that frequent it. I can't say it's just men who love to pour hate as I'm an LSA font (yeah, me, a white English boy but they don';t know that) and even on there  they can be just as smarky and nasty as your stereotypical fat neckbeard fans.  I get into Twitter spats sometimes still with Bella haters who just flatly refuse to given Nikki and Brie any credit whatsoever. You can't correct a hater.

Take for example the Liv Morgan incident. Liv herself was unbothered and just carried on, people from all across the wrestling business leapt to defend Brie, including DB himself (you know, defending his wife and using examples from his own illustrious career), Corey Graves (who used to always hate on the Diva-era women), as well as the likes of Jessicka Havok who is the biggest antithesis to the Bellas as it's possible to get, and STILL the smarks were like 'NOPE WE'RE RIGHT, THE BELLAS ARE SHIT AND DON'T BELONG ON WRESTLING' etc etc etc. Paige summed it up best as Brie only got the levels of hate she did "because she's a Bella". Had it been anyone else, especially a male wrestler, they would have gotten the 'oh accidents happen, no worries' treatment.

I think way too many took the Pipebombshell as literal. 

I'm proud to be a Bella stan more than ever, knowing that it will piss off smarks. I'd wear a Brie Mode tee to the smarkiest indie show I could get to if I could. Just to annoy them.

1 person likes this