Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooksie

Does Becky Lynch have top girl energy?

Does Becky Lynch have top girl energy?   43 votes

1. 1. Does she have the range, darling?

• Yes, the fans recognize her as that girl, despite the system.
    • No, the fans like her, but know it's not going to last.
    • Undecided

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 posts in this topic

Related image

Prefacing by saying that what we're not doing here is discrediting BeckGOD and her body of work. Simply analyzing her success and comparing to similar stories of 'fan-demanded' stars.

Becky Lynch is on fire right now, but she's on fire... on SmackDown. The girls dragged for filth at the tragic attendance for SmackDown in the UK last night, which should be a huge territorial market for a European talent like Becky Lynch. With Gail Kim hearing (we know what she means) that WWE execs at the top are racist, it makes sense that xenophobia is not far behind it and anything not bleeding blue-collared Americana faces a much bigger ceiling in sticking to the top. See Finn Balor on the men's side of things (*cries*).

The attendance obviously isn't Becky's fault as allegedly Manchester turns out weak attendance most times they get TV, WWE is objectively boring right now and Dublin and Manchester aren't right next door, but it may still be her problem and point to a larger phenomenon about the elephant in the room. Her fans, be it the smarks, women's fans or somewhere in between, are loud, supportive and recognize her talent. But are they loud because she's that girl or are they loud because they know it's not going to last?

From a merchandising perspective (conversely compared to acts like 2013 AJ Lee and 2015 Sasha Banks before her, who garnered huge fan support and expanded their merchandise offerings significantly despite being heels), the narrative hasn't shifted. The focus remains on Ronda Rousey, Alexa Bliss and The Bellas, who've integrated Birdiebee offerings into their lineups (their minds). Her segments calling out Ronda Rousey, which is undoubtedly the biggest match of her career, aren't doing the same numbers as Ronda's promos on Raw or even Paige's segments announcing the Survivor Series team on YouTube. Maybe it's hard for people to get excited within the wrestling community with Crown Jewel still leaving a bad taste in our mouths, but this doesn't feel like the position a lot of the girls who've been 'fan demanded' in the past would be in if they A) capped of their biggest rivalry to date with a show-stealing match on pay-per-view and B) are now heading into an even bigger match, despite it being kind of obvious they're not going to win.

So, what's tea? Is there a hesitant excitement over Becky right now, who despite working her hardest to make people talk, still doesn't feel like someone who can break the glass ceiling? Or is there not, and I'm delusional? Does she radiate 'top bitch energy' or do you think there's an expiration date on her days in the sun, much like there have been for other SmackDown Women's Champions not named Charlotte Flair or Alexa Bliss?

I think her only limitations are being boring in the ring and WWE itself obviously. She has everything, all she needs is to be booked right. But right now all Becky is really known for in terms of this reign is dealing with Charlotte. Which, funnily enough, is the very problem her character had.

People doubted Carmella had what it takes to be top bitch and she shut all of that up. And I'd say that was thanks to having the best booked reign post-2016. Becky already has one of the best matches of all time under her belt, but she just needs the program(s) to make herself actually stick. Fortunately for her, with all the time she spent being shit on in the past 2 years, she has built history with countless other superstars, so going from one hot feud to the next shouldn't be hard. BUT this is the same company that gave Nia another free shot despite being MIA for months, so..

m4WzvdO.gif

26 minutes ago, Cooksie said:

Becky Lynch is on fire right now, but she's on fire... on SmackDown.

@Cooksie better be thankful that I'm mentally exhausted to do a long and informative read. :pregbrie:

3 people like this

I love Becky but I’ve never seen her as a top girl. I mean they were going to sacrifice her to make Eva a star and ended up using Alexa instead. She still hasn’t even got her smoke back yet Finn as low on the totem pole as he is never lost it.

She has the fan support simply because of the perception of always getting screwed over by those WWE feel are their actual stars. Her current heel run has done wonders for her but, outside of the her matches with Carmella and the Evolution match her promos are what’s really keeping my attention. She’s just boring in the ring in my opinion and that’s only gotten worse as a heel because now it’s all about the armbar. Which rarely comes off convincing and a better submission would do her wonders. If she had been pushed just as hard as say Charlotte, Alexa, or even Sasha (in the beginning) I highly doubt the fans would be invested like they are. Wrestling fans always claim they want so and so to be pushed but rarely back them up when it happens where it counts. 

This reign won’t last and kind of just fills like a filler until we head over into mania season.

Charlotte had to lose and be without a championship so her mania program feels fresh.

Carmella just lost earlier this summer after a successful reign setting up her future.

Asuka is more than likely never getting it at this point I mean all the signs are there.

Naomi may never get it again and has done nothing except win the vagina trophy all year.

The IICONICS are a comedy act.

Mandy and Sonya are just starting actual traction.

Lana is only used for multi woman ppv matches.

Becky was the only real option looking at the roster at the current time. 

She has been booked decent simply because Charlotte was involved in her reign. Now she’s facing Nikki from the flop group Sanity as if that’s really a worthy victory. 

tumblr_phe2mqjry51xgwzygo1_250.gif

1 person likes this

I'm so used to her always being #2 in the women's division that it feels weird that she's actually the top woman on SD. :rot: Like i'm waiting for the inevitable when Charlotte or another girl takes the title and Becky goes back to being irrelevant :skull: 

But she's been killing it lately and I hope she stays on top for a while. She definitely paid her dues and deserves a decent push 

8 people like this

She might peak with this run but I can’t imagine her reverting back to what she was, Basic Becky. 

ppl might get tired of her act if she keeps repeating the same promos. It worked with Charlotte and maybe Ronda but not every girl.

she also needs a new hairstyle bc she looks dirty a lot of the time. She ain’t serving it looks wise.

33 minutes ago, Crystal said:

@Cooksie better be thankful that I'm mentally exhausted to do a long and informative read. :pregbrie:

It is what it is, girl. I definitely prefer it to Raw, but it's never been their priority and likely won't be until maybe a month before the Fox jump. Everyone there bar AJ Styles is in a rather eternal B-tier from a company perspective, and that's been the case since well before this brand split.

3 people like this

I think a huge reason why Becky at the top feels so weird is because she’s so deserving of it. 

I feel as though the majority thought her quest to overcome Charlotte was dead in the water and who could have predicted that Becky would come out on top multiple times against WWE’s chosen one?

Becky is a bit dry in the ring but as a whole she’s so criminally underrated. Becky’s character right now is mirroring Ivory during her first reign as champion where’s she’s so full on confidence and aggression. 

Ronda says she’s the baddest bitch but she lied. It’s Becky. Serving the Women’s Division’s Stone Cold right now and it’s SO refreshing.

:shook: 

While I can’t really say with certainty that she will fade into the background. I will say that she has so much potential if they just let her keep the ball. 

2 people like this

Yes, tbh. And it's not like there are other options when they killed the momentum of girls like Asuka 

1 person likes this

She already is. She's been given story development, mic time, ring time and of course the belt.

Becky's worked for years as a baby face but only made an impact as a heel. Much like Eve for example. So she won't be rememered as an IT girl like Trish, Lita, Charlotte etc. Simply because regardless of how we prefer them, WWE won't let us remember them as their heel personas. Just, "Incredible record setting, ground breaking women"

We remember girls like Melina, Michelle, Victoria as great workers/characters (who were top girls at one point) but not groundbreaking in WWE's eyes. I see Becky as much the same.

Top girl status comes when

1) WWE allows it

2) When you find your groove.

And that's what Becky's finally gone and done.

After watching her match last night, I feel like part of what’s hindering her is her ring work. She is technically gifted and probably one of the best-trained women on the roster, but all the charisma and attitude that she conveys so well in her promos is lost as soon as she starts competing. Her wrestling works against her character change and the massive push she’s getting because it is basically the same Becky match we’ve seen since 2015, maybe even watered down a little so we know she’s a heel. Granted, I typically don’t mind this given my other tastes, but Becky doesn’t feel exciting when she’s not talking, which is a big problem. Even someone like Alexa Bliss creates a conversation when she does step in the ring, whether good or bad—Becky doesn’t excite in the ring anymore, and that’s where she’s beginning to stagnate for me. A top girl has to get people talking, and I can’t think of a really impressive Becky match other than the Evolution one—but we could argue that Charlotte’s willingness to deliver in big matches gave it that feeling.  She’ll always have a legacy because she’s a four horsewoman but I’m not sure how her individual success will match up. 

3 people like this

No, she’s boring, specifically in the ring. I’ve yet to see a standout match from her. Evolution was great but Charlotte did 90% of the bumping and the spots. 

While she’s a great actress and talker I think that her opponents (Sasha, Alexa, Charlotte) always gave her the edge that people wanted while she did not bring it out herself, hence when she was facing equally boring Nattie nobody cared or remembers anything about it now.

3 people like this

57 minutes ago, Dayvid said:

She already is. She's been given story development, mic time, ring time and of course the belt.

Becky's worked for years as a baby face but only made an impact as a heel. Much like Eve for example. So she won't be rememered as an IT girl like Trish, Lita, Charlotte etc. Simply because regardless of how we prefer them, WWE won't let us remember them as their heel personas. Just, "Incredible record setting, ground breaking women"

We remember girls like Melina, Michelle, Victoria as great workers/characters (who were top girls at one point) but not groundbreaking in WWE's eyes. I see Becky as much the same.

Top girl status comes when

1) WWE allows it

2) When you find your groove.

And that's what Becky's finally gone and done.

I agree with the bold part. But WWE definitely does have iconic women that are mostly remembered if not only remembered for their heel runs. Victoria and Michelle like you said, but also women like Ivory, Sable, Beth, Molly, AJ, and tbh Sasha imo.

1 person likes this

She’s not very exciting in the ring I’ve always noticed that as well but for the moment I’m just enjoying the moment for what it is until it’s over. She’s killing it and using her opportunity but It doesn’t matter because at this point she’s pretty much over with the crowd and that’s something they’re going to have to deal with.

1 person likes this

She undoubtedly does, just watch last nights SD. The crowd LOVED her while speaking, and while wrestling, plus there were many Becky signs and I see her merch everywhere. IF her ring work was as big an issue as some of you are making they would not react the way they do for her :rot: It is just that simple. Using YouTube views as a metric to question whether or not she has top girl energy is a bit of a reach when we all know those can easily be rigged, plus there are many variables that go into what gets YouTube views and what doesn't. And to the people who are saying "no" she doesn't have it, that's okay. Y'all are programmed to think that because Becky is simply what y'all aren't used to. She's not Trish Stratus, Kelly Kelly, or any of those girls who fall into that category, which is why I'm sure many around these parts don't use her. Just say you don't like her aesthetic and go

4 people like this

39 minutes ago, Layout said:

She undoubtedly does, just watch last nights SD. The crowd LOVED her while speaking, and while wrestling, plus there were many Becky signs and I see her merch everywhere. IF her ring work was as big an issue as some of you are making they would not react the way they do for her :rot: It is just that simple. Using YouTube views as a metric to question whether or not she has top girl energy is a bit of a reach when we all know those can easily be rigged, plus there are many variables that go into what gets YouTube views and what doesn't. And to the people who are saying "no" she doesn't have it, that's okay. Y'all are programmed to think that because Becky is simply what y'all aren't used to. She's not Trish Stratus, Kelly Kelly, or any of those girls who fall into that category, which is why I'm sure many around these parts don't use her. Just say you don't like her aesthetic and go

Why would they be 'rigged' for WWE, of all things? :ahh: You claiming a 1984 complex because people don't agree with you. Get a grip. :skull: 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Qwan™ said:

I think a huge reason why Becky at the top feels so weird is because she’s so deserving of it. 

I feel as though the majority thought her quest to overcome Charlotte was dead in the water and who could have predicted that Becky would come out on top multiple times against WWE’s chosen one?

Becky is a bit dry in the ring but as a whole she’s so criminally underrated. Becky’s character right now is mirroring Ivory during her first reign as champion where’s she’s so full on confidence and aggression. 

Ronda says she’s the baddest bitch but she lied. It’s Becky. Serving the Women’s Division’s Stone Cold right now and it’s SO refreshing.

:shook: 

While I can’t really say with certainty that she will fade into the background. I will say that she has so much potential if they just let her keep the ball. 

! I would love to see her retain this credibility and freedom with some bigger fish in the pond. Not that the girls on SmackDown aren't good, it's just as @Amlex said, they've been de-emphasized to a degree because of the onset of the tag team division. People on equal playing field contending with her would be a much better indicator.

1 person likes this

Yes, she is the baddest bitch they have right now. She is currently the best female mic worker, def top 4 in general. Her ability to play her character through and through will keep her at the top tbh. 

8 people like this

Tbh, there's no woman on the roster as committed to her character as much as Becky is. It's like this is deadass Rebecca but she's channeling how she's always felt through this perfect outlet. It's brilliant and it makes me even more happy for her because she knew she was that bitch and deserved more, and we (the Universe) stuck by her the whole time, and still continue to. The only full time active woman to get as consistent pops is Sasha, but even at some point she wasn't getting shit, even boos. Becky got pops and had the crowd here for her every week since Smackdown Live's creation. Probably even since when she came up in 2015.

2 people like this

Naomi is better and overcame more adversity than this bitch, and Beckys stan base is in need of a good therapist 

:stephanie:

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Layout said:

And to the people who are saying "no" she doesn't have it, that's okay. Y'all are programmed to think that because Becky is simply what y'all aren't used to. She's not Trish Stratus, Kelly Kelly, or any of those girls who fall into that category, which is why I'm sure many around these parts don't use her. Just say you don't like her aesthetic and go

Becky is probably one of the most well-liked girls on the forum? I don’t see anyone really dragging her, and she typically gets compliments and praise in chats and discussions, especially since her turn but even before then. r u good today?

k3.gif.aaad67880df126df1eb610e5817f3bf6.

1 person likes this

Me walking in here just to make a Becky is a top joke and add nothing else to this conversation
MV6RXkn.gif

5 people like this

In a lot of ways, she's what Ronda should be.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Ninja Balenciaga said:

In a lot of ways, she's what Ronda should be.

! But Ronda comes across as so unnatural and awkward :rot: 

Anyway, to answer the question, she has the tools no doubt. But I really do think this is WWE merely recognizing that and rewarding her for now, akin to an Ivory or Victoria or Molly, rather than priming her as a definitive face of the era after overlooking her for so long. When this reign ends, I have little faith they'll keep her protected and dominant like they have their top girls of the past.

3 people like this

Becky is under-exposed compared to her 4 Horsewomen cohorts, which has helped her stay a fan-fave. She's fire on the mic and puts on quality matches. She possesses the qualities, so it's up to WWE as to whether or not she will be allowed the longevity.

3 people like this