Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooksie

Peak Raw and SmackDown divisions?

21 posts in this topic

Image result for raw smackdown

In your opinion, what are the respective peaks of the Raw and SmackDown women's divisions in the brand split era? Note: these don't have to be concurrent (i.e. Raw and SmackDown 2008) and can be from different eras (so Raw 2006 and SmackDown 2016, the correct answers).

Discuss!

Raw: 2006 (Members: Ashley, Candice Michelle, Lita, Maria, Mickie James, Torrie Wilson, Trish Stratus and Victoria)

SmackDown: 2016 (Members: Alexa Bliss, Becky Lynch, Carmella, Naomi, Natalya and Nikki Bella)

8 people like this

I’d go with both Raw & SD circa ‘07-2009.

- Mickie, Melina and Beth as the established veterans w/ a hint of Candice. 

- Michelle, Maryse, Kelly on the come up. 

- The Divas title introduction. :shook: 

- The birth of girls like Eve, Layla, The Bella’s & Nattie:shook: 

I started watching around this time consistently and it’s my favorite era by far. The division was full of STARS :clap: 

5 people like this

I think we all know SD's peak was 2016 with the OGs (Nikki, Becky, Naomi, Carmella, Alexa, Natalya)

RAW, I would say it's the 2006 era with Trish, Mickie, Vince's Devils, Maria, Ashley. It had a strong, well-built title feud, with also component side feuds here and there.

For a recent RAW era, I'd say Charlotte vs Sasha era because it did serve quality matches 

Edited by Mandy Rose
3 people like this

7 minutes ago, Charlie said:

RAW: Gail Kim, Ivory, Jacqueline, Jazz, Lita, Molly Holly, Stacy Keibler, Trish Stratus, Victoria

This honestly felt like the perfect balance of Divas to have on a roster. Trish and Lita are obviously the big stars in the division, and their status was elevated partially by how intense their feuds were with Jazz, Molly and Victoria. Jacqueline and Ivory served as the veterans to help keep things fluid in the ring and to put over the younger girls (while still getting a little shine here and there), while Stacy was the eye-candy that everybody loved. There's also Gail who came into the division at this time as well, where she began her growth as a women's wrestler.

SmackDown: Alexa Bliss, Becky Lynch, Carmella, Naomi, Natalya, Nikki Bella

I was gonna go for Smackdown 2003, but Torrie and Dawn basically carried that division through whatever screentime they were able to get (with some help from Nidia and I guess Shaniqua?). Smackdown 2016 felt like a much more solid division, where every girl got utilized and every girl had a feud to engage in. Didn't they all (minus Nikki) end up getting a run with the Smackdown Women's Championship too at some point?

^ Basically 

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Charlie said:

RAW: Gail Kim, Ivory, Jacqueline, Jazz, Lita, Molly Holly, Stacy Keibler, Trish Stratus, Victoria

This honestly felt like the perfect balance of Divas to have on a roster. Trish and Lita were obviously the big stars in the division, and their status was elevated partially by how intense their feuds were with Jazz, Molly and Victoria. Jacqueline and Ivory served as the veterans to help keep things fluid in the ring and to put over the younger girls (while still getting a little shine here and there), while Stacy was the eye-candy that everybody loved. There's also Gail who came into the division at this time as well, where she began her growth as a women's wrestler.

I was gonna go for Smackdown 2003, but Torrie and Dawn basically carried that division through whatever screentime they were able to get (with some help from Nidia, Sable and I guess Shaniqua?).

Smackdown 2016 felt like a much more solid division, where every girl got utilized and every girl had a feud to engage in. Didn't they all (minus Nikki) end up getting a run with the Smackdown Women's Championship too at some point?

Same for me.

1 person likes this

Reading this made me wish even more Eva stayed long enough to be Queen with her title reign. When her side plates are just a solid red circle on each side :cry: 

I wanna say 2004 SD because that's really the only time Torrie's time and Joy's time overlapped. Torrie was Queen obvi, and Joy/Amy was gold, not to mention the men's roster with whatever shenanigans Kurt Angle was always involved in.

Smackdown: Its a toss up between 03/04 and '16.

RAW: '98/'99 or 06.

Honorary Mention to '08 SD. The only thing holding it back to me was Maria was never pushed and they made it SO obvious that they only cared to shove Michelle down our throats as top face. And it just wasn't working. Eve should've won that weekly Diva contest shit foh. They fixed tf out of it for Michelle and I remember seething when they started the timer for the obstacle course like 5 seconds late for her.

Edited by Angelic
1 person likes this

2003 era

RAW: Trish, Lita, Molly, Victoria, Jazz, Jacqueline, Gail, Ivory, Miss Jackie, Stacy
Smackdown: Torrie, Dawn Marie, Nidia, Sable, Shaniqua

Edited by Dan
I forgot Stacy
4 people like this

RAW 2002-2006

SD 2002-2004/2016 to WM 33

There's been peaks and lows through the years but I'd pick those years as where they completely owned their respective brands.

55 minutes ago, Dan said:

2003 era

RAW: Trish, Lita, Molly, Victoria, Jazz, Jacqueline, Gail, Ivory, Miss Jackie, Stacy
Smackdown: Torrie, Dawn Marie, Nidia, Sable, Shaniqua

This!!! 

It’s not even a discussion.... 

Hmm, I'd prob say 2016 Smackdown and 2005/2006 Raw (Crazy Mickie gives me life :shook:)

OP’s got it right. OG SD was lit. And 2003 Raw put up a good fight against 2006 (but really starting in 2005 with Torrie & Candice’s draft to Raw) but I still stanned 06 more. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, prince. said:

I started watching around this time consistently and it’s my favorite era by far. The division was full of STARS :clap: 

This! 

1 person likes this

There were two Raw eras that were the best to me. Obviously the 2002-2004 Raw era. Trish/Jazz, Trish Molly, Trish/Victoria >> The division continuously evolved and it was the right mix of serious wrestling and T&A. But things had gotten really stale by mid-2003. It was the same formula of Trish vs. evil heel diva. And when Trish left the title picture after dropping the belt to Jazz at Backlash 03, the division had no direction. Gail flopped, Molly's title reign went nowhere, and Lita had just come back form a huge injury and the company never seemed comfortable putting the belt back on her during that time. I did enjoy Victoria's run as top face but the company never got behind her the way they did with Trish. Nevertheless, it's still an iconic era and the one that got me into wrestling.

The other era is after Candice and Torrie were drafted to Raw. The division felt like it was pretty much dead by that point but the Trish/Ashley/Mickie vs. Vince's Devils feud that evolved into the Mickie/Trish feud really put the division back on the map for me. Even Candice and Ashley (who had little wrestling experience) still managed to put on decent performances in the ring when they had to. Then you had Trish and Lita retiring, which led to new stars and new feuds. Mickie/Melina, Melina/Candice and Beth/Candice. However, after Candice got injured, the Raw division lost it's direction again. Beth/Mickie felt like complete filler and it always felt like Mickie only won the belt off of Beth because Candice got re-injured. Things did pick up again after that with the Beth/Melina feud but by late 2008 the division felt like it was on autopilot. 

As for Smackdown, the 2002-2003, the 2008-2009, and the late 2016/early 2017 divisions were the best imo. I know I didn't write an essay regarding those eras but what really ended those eras for me was the lack of other talent to push by late 2003 and the drafts in 2009 and 2017.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Charlie said:

This honestly felt like the perfect balance of Divas to have on a roster. Trish and Lita were obviously the big stars in the division, and their status was elevated partially by how intense their feuds were with Jazz, Molly and Victoria. Jacqueline and Ivory served as the veterans to help keep things fluid in the ring and to put over the younger girls (while still getting a little shine here and there), while Stacy was the eye-candy that everybody loved. There's also Gail who came into the division at this time as well, where she began her growth as a women's wrestler.

I was gonna go for Smackdown 2003, but Torrie and Dawn basically carried that division through whatever screentime they were able to get (with some help from Nidia, Sable and I guess Shaniqua?).

Smackdown 2016 felt like a much more solid division, where every girl got utilized and every girl had a feud to engage in. Didn't they all (minus Nikki) end up getting a run with the Smackdown Women's Championship too at some point?

Agreed ^^ 

2 people like this

23 hours ago, prince. said:

Alicia was also born in this era too and she was utilized so much better as well 😩

2 people like this

46 minutes ago, Blooberry said:

Alicia was also born in this era too and she was utilized so much better as well 😩

oop yes. I didn’t forget her on purpose :rot: But IA. I don’t think that time was perfect but I feel like they had a decent mix of everything important to make a division thrive & the roster was one of the best they’ve ever had as well. Underappreciated :clap: 

1 person likes this

Raw 2003

For SD, It was around the time the Divas title was introduced. There was Michelle, Maryse, Victoria, Natalya, Cherry, and Layla. I might be forgetting a few girls. Also 2003-2004 of course, when Sable, Torrie, Nidia, Dawn, and Miss Jackie were the main girls. 

1 person likes this

RAW 05-06: Ashley, Candice Michelle, Lita, Maria, Mickie James, Torrie Wilson, Trish Stratus, Victoria

This era was so fucking hot. Rated R-Lita, Vinces Devils v Ashley/Mickie/Trish, Mickie v Trish. Even in early 2005 with Christy/Lita v Trish. Everything they did around this time was amazing.

RAW 07-08: Ashley, Beth Phoenix, Candice Michelle, Jillian Hall, Maria, Melina, Mickie James, Victoria 

The division was actually really cute after Lita and Trish retired, despite what people think. Mickie taking her spot as top face, Melina rising as a top heel, Candice finally getting her moment, the dominant rise of the Glamazon, Jillian being a kii. There were a lot of decent feuds/matches with Mickie/Victoria, Beth/Mickie, Melina/Mickie, Beth/Candice. 

Honestly SD has always been a mess for the women up until the first shake-up. Only memorable eras would probably be 09-11, but that's just because of LayCool & Mickie. 08 was also kind of cute with the divas title, and Maryse v Michelle  

Edited by FROOT
2 people like this

2 hours ago, FROOT said:

RAW 05-06: Ashley, Candice Michelle, Lita, Maria, Mickie James, Torrie Wilson, Trish Stratus, Victoria

This era was so fucking hot. Rated R-Lita, Vinces Devils v Ashley/Mickie/Trish, Mickie v Trish. Even in early 2005 with Christy/Lita v Trish. Everything they did around this time was amazing.

RAW 07-08: Ashley, Beth Phoenix, Candice Michelle, Jillian Hall, Maria, Melina, Mickie James, Victoria 

The division was actually really cute after Lita and Trish retired, despite what people think. Mickie taking her spot as top face, Melina rising as a top heel, Candice finally getting her moment, the dominant rise of the Glamazon, Jillian being a kii. There were a lot of decent feuds/matches with Mickie/Victoria, Beth/Mickie, Melina/Mickie, Beth/Candice. 

Honestly SD has always been a mess for the women up until the first shake-up. Only memorable eras would probably be 09-11, but that's just because of LayCool & Mickie. 08 was also kind of cute with the divas title, and Maryse v Michelle  

The taste jumped out. :shook:

1 person likes this