Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooksie

Was 2012 the perfect year to start the Divas Revolution?

33 posts in this topic

Image result for wwe divas 2012

Prefacing this by saying yes, any year could of been a better year to begin fixing the years of mistreatment of the girls, but hear me out.

Instead of replying to the "gone too soon" thread and the recent topics of bringing back year-old topics that have no more relevance in today's climate, I present to you the Divas division of 2012. The above picture doesn't include Kharma and Maxine, who would objectively leave well before their prime in this year, or Beth Phoenix and Kelly Kelly, who while there, were also ready to go. Mickie James, Melina and Michelle McCool were all gone and it seemed time to usher in a new generation of Divas into the limelight. The NXT Season 3 girls had been integrated despite their season bombing, and concurrently in WWE, stars like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and Antonio Cesaro were ushering in a new standard of excellence in the men's division, focusing on increased ring skill rather than bodybuilder physiques and Hollywood-crossover potential.

With that, do you think this division (assuming the likes of Kharma and Maxine are still potentially in play) could've been capable of ushering in a higher profile for the girls like the Divas Revolution did in 2015? Do you think any of them would be marketable or have merchandise? Who would be the poster girls and really set the standard for the NXT generation of women and beyond? Would you still incorporate Total Divas in the following year? :newspaper: 

5 people like this

Yes. Period. The revolution had been brewing for so long and it was very apparent by how they were pushing Eve and AJ that they were willing to finally give them opportunities, they were already considering pulling the trigger on Total Divas, they had a solid roster that only needed time and development. Girls like Kharma, Maxine and even Kelly & Beth (who more than likely left because they felt like they had already done everything and there were no signs of change) would’ve only added to the formula. 

Eve, Kaitlyn & AJ would have honestly been the perfect trio to be at the forefront of the division (that episode of SD where they all interacted was so. good.) Layla should have also played a bigger role, she never reached her full potential as a singles competitor. They had the fan base, skills and chemistry to keep the interest alive in the division. It just says a lot when 2012 was probably the first time in a long time that the division felt legit & consistent. 

9 people like this

PG-wise, yes. The revolution should've already started back when the Divas Championship was introduced in '08. Sure as Mariah's 18 #1's the Divas/Women's Division would be much much wider than it is now with even the Tag Team titles already estabilished. I wouldn't even mind the women having their own live show 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, prince. said:

Yes. Period. The revolution had been brewing for so long and it was very apparent by how they were pushing Eve and AJ that they were willing to finally give them opportunities, they were already considering pulling the trigger on Total Divas, they had a solid roster that only needed time and development. Girls like Kharma, Maxine and even Kelly & Beth (who more than likely left because they felt like they had already done everything and there were no signs of change) would’ve only added to the formula. 

Eve, Kaitlyn & AJ would have honestly been the perfect trio to be at the forefront of the division (that episode of SD where they all interacted was so. good.) Layla should have also played a bigger role, she never reached her full potential as a singles competitor. They had the fan base, skills and chemistry to keep the interest alive in the division. It just says a lot when 2012 was probably the first time in a long time that the division felt legit & consistent. 

I hate Eve but I think she would've been like the perfect ambassador for women's empowerment/more athletic portrayals of the women. She has great presence in speaking engagements.

I think Total Divas while it did help build the fanbase, longer extended the looks-centric/eye candy portrayal among officials despite the PG product and the majority of their women looking less like bikini models and more like athletes. It works well now because that's not how the girls are portrayed and gives that duality, but I think change could've definitely come a lot sooner had they just realized what they had while it was there :smh2: 

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Cooksie said:

I hate Eve but I think she would've been like the perfect ambassador for women's empowerment/more athletic portrayals of the women. She has great presence in speaking engagements.

I think Total Divas while it did help build the fanbase, longer extended the looks-centric/eye candy portrayal among officials despite the PG product and the majority of their women looking less like bikini models and more like athletes. It works well now because that's not how the girls are portrayed and gives that duality, but I think change could've definitely come a lot sooner had they just realized what they had while it was there :smh2: 

!!!!! Don’t forget about Naomi and Cameron also waiting to make the transition into wrestling :rot: They had it and I truly believe that it would have started earlier had Eve not left. Not stanning or anything but she was already very established and they had invested a full year into her. When she left, it was almost as if they had to start from ground zero by integrating AJ into the division & pushing The Bellas once they returned. 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, LIVin the Riott said:

PG-wise, yes. The revolution should've already started back when the Divas Championship was introduced in '08. Sure as Mariah's 18 #1's the Divas/Women's Division would be much much wider than it is now with even the Tag Team titles already estabilished. I wouldn't even mind the women having their own live show 

I'm still holding out for an all girl show. 

But they really could've done it at any point. In 2003, it wasn't uncommon for the women to get the the highest, or close to the highest rated segments/matches on the show. People have always been watching, but the WWE never wanted to capitalize on it for whatever reason. I feel like the revolution could've happened at any point. They just needed to want for to put some time in, and give the girls a chance, which they clearly didn't for a long time.

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Mikie91 said:

I'm still holding out for an all girl show. 

But they really could've done it at any point. In 2003, it wasn't uncommon for the women to get the the highest, or close to the highest rated segments/matches on the show. People have always been watching, but the WWE never wanted to capitalize on it for whatever reason. I feel like the revolution could've happened at any point. They just needed to want for to put some time in, and give the girls a chance, which they clearly didn't for a long time.

Vince is known for being sexist, that's why it didn't happen before. The only three reasons women main-evented back in the day were Stephanie holding the gold, Vince being extremely high on Trish (still I love a talented Queen) and Lita being the most over with the fans

1 person likes this

it would've felt more organic, but i fear total divas wouldn't have been a thing, which for me, is a big reason behind why i got back into wrestling, and i high key prefer it to sd/raw

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, shumiley said:

it would've felt more organic, but i fear total divas wouldn't have been a thing, which for me, is a big reason behind why i got back into wrestling, and i high key prefer it to sd/raw

with the amount of nude/topless scenes would you say you identify as heterosexual :frecklefox: 

2 people like this

Just now, Cooksie said:

with the amount of nude/topless scenes would you say you identify as heterosexual :frecklefox: 

giphy.gif

9 people like this

No and only bc the revolution had a lot to do with the matches the NXT women were producing at the time which caused fans to think why the main roster women weren’t giving us matches on that level. 2012 was when NXT was just starting and it was still expected to be something similar to FCW, until it wasn’t.

Even tho the 2012 women had diversity and characters, there was no 5 star classic waiting in the wings to really jump start a revolution. Even 2012 twitter wasn’t popping that hard to make a difference through a Hashtag. It was fun era but AJ vs Eve was the most potential feud that could’ve been generated and even that would’ve been more based on characters clashing than wrestling. 

6 people like this

10 minutes ago, WWFoverWWE said:

No and only bc the revolution had a lot to do with the matches the NXT women were producing at the time which caused fans to think why the main roster women weren’t giving us matches on that level. 2012 was when NXT was just starting and it was still expected to be something similar to FCW, until it wasn’t.

Even tho the 2012 women had diversity and characters, there was no 5 star classic waiting in the wings to really jump start a revolution. Even 2012 twitter wasn’t popping that hard to make a difference through a Hashtag. It was fun era but AJ vs Eve was the most potential feud that could’ve been generated and even that would’ve been more based on characters clashing than wrestling. 

but the fans didn't create the evolution, it was the fact that wwe allowed us to see the women doing well because of their booking, it made people a little more vocal. wwe could have orchestrated this at any point, allowing girls like eve, naomi, aj etc to go off, but they held them back. natalya and beth are just a few of the girls that can and always could put on 10/10 matches. so really, it was up to wwe on when they would allow the women to perform at the same calibre as the nxt women did.

7 people like this

14 minutes ago, WWFoverWWE said:

This is when they were still being very limited in the ring, though. Even Payback was filtered, but AJ and Kaitlyn pushed the limits as far as they could and gave us a classic. We also saw the potential in Kaitlyn vs. Eve, AJ vs. Naomi, AJ vs. Layla, Eve vs. Layla, AJ vs. Natalya, Kaitlyn vs. Natalya. Plus Alicia Fox was arguably at her prime in the ring, and add on Kharma too, and you would have been perfectly capable of leveling up in ring with the help of Sara Amato who was just signed. NXT wasn't just NXT because of the women there, it was because the powers behind it let them be great and took them seriously, therefore the fans took them seriously.

7 people like this

3 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

This is when they were still being very limited in the ring, though. Even Payback was filtered, but AJ and Kaitlyn pushed the limits as far as they could and gave us a classic. We also saw the potential in Kaitlyn vs. Eve, AJ vs. Naomi, AJ vs. Layla, Eve vs. Layla, AJ vs. Natalya, Kaitlyn vs. Natalya. Plus Alicia Fox was arguably at her prime in the ring, and add on Kharma too, and you would have been perfectly capable of leveling up in ring with the help of Sara Amato who was just signed. NXT wasn't just NXT because of the women there, it was because the powers behind it let them be great and took them seriously, therefore the fans took them seriously.

!!!!!!!!!! A lot of people have to think about this and I think its why so many people are always saying how the Ruthless Aggression era girls would have put everyone of the current girls to SHAME if they got the training, time and freedom the NXT girls got. The Divas division always had talent that could have taken the division to the next level. They just never had the backing nor the training that they do now, and them still being able to produce so many memorable moments speaks volumes. 

8 people like this

Just now, prince. said:

!!!!!!!!!! A lot of people have to think about this and I think its why so many people are always saying how the MMM era girls would have put everyone of the current girls to SHAME if they got the training, time and freedom the NXT girls got. The Divas division always had talent that could have taken the division to the next level. They just never had the backing nor the training that they do now, and them still being able to produce so many memorable moments speaks volumes. 

! With fans too, it largely comes down to how you train them to think. Look at someone like our fave, Carmella. Her performance this past week was great, don't get me wrong, but it pales in comparison to the top women of the MMM and AJ/Total Divas era. But because WWE takes the women seriously now and highlights her hard work, the comment section on YouTube is filled with "wow, Carmella is so good now!" by casuals. You think that happened when Kelly Kelly showed out? :skull: 

5 people like this

I knew I shouldn’t have posted you fags are always coming for me!

7 people like this

3 minutes ago, prince. said:

!!!!!!!!!! A lot of people have to think about this and I think its why so many people are always saying how the Ruthless Aggression era girls would have put everyone of the current girls to SHAME if they got the training, time and freedom the NXT girls got. The Divas division always had talent that could have taken the division to the next level. They just never had the backing nor the training that they do now, and them still being able to produce so many memorable moments speaks volumes. 

Nnn exactly. I remember from the Trish Stratus dvd (I watched an ungodly amount as a child) that they legit included a clip of her and fit finlay (bless his heart) trying to run through a match like right before the show was probably gonna happen (which is normal) but the older I got the more it hit me that those moments were probably some of the only training a lot of the women actually got. If we had a place like the performance centre back then with someone like sara to train the girls things could have gone in a much different direction and we started to see that once more of the OVW era girls began to come up. I think the women could always have gone if they wanted to but WWE just placed so many restrictions on them it was impossible to really break out of the mould they were given until someone told them to.

6 people like this

They also could have poached more indy girls like they do now, if they wanted to. Mercedes Martinez, Cheerleader Melissa and the mentioned Sara Del Rey all come to mind as girls who were on top at the time.

3 people like this

Just now, Mariah. said:

! With fans too, it largely comes down to how you train them to think. Look at someone like our fave, Carmella. Her performance this past week was great, don't get me wrong, but it pales in comparison to the top women of the MMM and AJ/Total Divas era. But because WWE takes the women seriously now and highlights her hard work, the comment section on YouTube is filled with "wow, Carmella is so good now!" by casuals. You think that happened when Kelly Kelly showed out? :skull: 

The FLASHBACKS I am getting of people bullying me in the Youtube comment section because I said I wanted Kelly to snatch the Women's title from Layla. 

giphy.gif

5 people like this

22 minutes ago, shumiley said:

but the fans didn't create the evolution, it was the fact that wwe allowed us to see the women doing well because of their booking, it made people a little more vocal. wwe could have orchestrated this at any point, allowing girls like eve, naomi, aj etc to go off, but they held them back. natalya and beth are just a few of the girls that can and always could put on 10/10 matches. so really, it was up to wwe on when they would allow the women to perform at the same calibre as the nxt women did.

And when you think about it at the time superstar and mainevent was the field where the women could do a bit more but not as much but show off. Alicia va Natalya had a few  great matches on superstars. AJ and Naomi probably one of the best ME matches I’ve seen and my personal favorite. Natalya and AJ brought it in one face off. 

It just sucks because around that time the division was stacked and really bad so much potential unfortunately the departures took a toll and early wwe had to scramble to fix it up once eve said she was levaing.

2 people like this

Just now, Eric said:

And when you think about it at the time superstar and mainevent was the field where the women could do a bit more but not as much but show off. Alicia va Natalya had one great matches on superstars. AJ and Naomi probably one of the best ME matches I’ve seen and my personal favorite. Natalya and AJ brought it in one face off. 

It just sucks because around that time the division wa stacked and really bad so much potential unfortunately the departures took a toll and early wwe had to scramble to fix it up once eve said she was levaing.

eve really would've been that girl had she stayed. it makes me so sad because she's not only talented but she's just a genuinely great person too. :pinfall:

7 people like this

6 minutes ago, shumiley said:

eve really would've been that girl had she stayed. it makes me so sad because she's not only talented but she's just a genuinely great person too. :pinfall:

Yeah she could have been and even a triple feud between herself AJ and Kaitlyn would’ve been so cute post WM. When you think about it  all 3 of them had beef with one another.

:pinfall: Even though we hit a stump once 2013 rolled around we really didn’t pick up until SD 2016.

Don’t  @ me :jeigz:

7 minutes ago, shumiley said:

we fucking hate that bitch once a year because of it 

5 people like this

what Willy and Mariah said

2 people like this

4 hours ago, prince. said:

!!!!! Don’t forget about Naomi and Cameron also waiting to make the transition into wrestling :rot: They had it and I truly believe that it would have started earlier had Eve not left. Not stanning or anything but she was already very established and they had invested a full year into her. When she left, it was almost as if they had to start from ground zero by integrating AJ into the division & pushing The Bellas once they returned. 

They always wanted the opportunity to step up too, Brie picking up the slack/holding her own during Nikki's injury and Nikki coming back rejuvenated. Imagine their 2013 return but with them actually training before accepting the gig :shook:

6 people like this