Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don Draper

AJ Styles talks anger about Gillette ad, toxic masculinity

18 posts in this topic

AJ Styles appeared on conservative political commentator Steven Crowder's (he of the "Change my mind" sign) podcast last night - and he had some strong comments on Gillette's divisive "toxic masculinity" advert.

Styles admitted he could not grasp what the commercial was getting at - but was nevertheless frustrated by it:

"When I watched the commercial I was trying to understand who they were talking to. I have a wife, and a daughter - and three boys - but, I think about my daughter. So I had to find out what this was. What was so toxic. And apparently, from what I’m understanding, it was just being mean to women?”

Crowder provoked further annoyance from AJ by defining toxic masculinity as "assuming all men are mean to women whether you know it or not." The former WWE champion agreed that it was "very hard" to follow, before expressing his own views on masculinity:

"I feel like my job as a man is to take care of women. I’m gonna stand up for my wife. I’m supposed to be a provider. I’m gonna take care of her. I’m gonna protect her. [...] Things I think a man should do."

Later in the podcast, AJ was asked about a specific part of the razor company's ad, in which a man 'corrects' a woman in a meeting with a lingering hand on the shoulder. Styles, totally missing the point, exuded: "Well what did she say before? Maybe he's sticking up for her? Maybe she did say something that was wrong."

http://whatculture.com/wwe/aj-styles-shoots-on-gillette-toxic-masculinity 

Hmmm thots?

0b2rnR9.gif

Frustrated by something you admittedly did not understand & still go on to draw a narrow minded conclusion? 

SESdqch.gif

12 people like this

"I don't get it, but it makes me mad"

Sis, it's pretty straight forward and easy to understand. Straight men just want to be offended by anything. People are taking this advertisement so personally. If you're offended, you're probably the one Gillette is speaking about.

3 people like this

11 minutes ago, prince. said:

Frustrated by something you admittedly did not understand & still go on to draw a narrow minded conclusion? 

SESdqch.gif

He really just wanted the money 

SESdqch.gif

2 people like this

no one is shocked this burnt ham has a poor take on toxic masculinity

0b2rnR9.gif

4 people like this

On 1/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, Charlie said:

gMXoI5.jpg

2 people like this

I swear Vince needs to stop letting talent get interviewed.

SESdqch.gif

2 people like this

He’s embarrassing. Imagine getting that upset on a podcast for an ad that tells guys to teach their boys how to act properly. Maybe Nia Jax broke the wrong face.

6kHepU.gif

I also didn't really understand the commercial... so boys aren't supposed to wrestle in the yard? If a boy wants to play with make up and dolls, let him. If a boy wants to wrestle with his brother and play sports, let him. Who cares?

2 people like this

50 minutes ago, Katy said:

I also didn't really understand the commercial... so boys aren't supposed to wrestle in the yard? If a boy wants to play with make up and dolls, let him. If a boy wants to wrestle with his brother and play sports, let him. Who cares?

I agree with this statement in itself.

As for the commercial itself, I haven't seen it to have any opinions on it. And Styles, he's never been one to go to for wisdom regarding social matters. 

1 person likes this

Later in the podcast, AJ was asked about a specific part of the razor company's ad, in which a man 'corrects' a woman in a meeting with a lingering hand on the shoulder. Styles, totally missing the point, exuded: "Well what did she say before? Maybe he's sticking up for her? Maybe she did say something that was wrong."

Someone should have laid their hand on his shoulder during this interview. 

SESdqch.gif

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Katy said:

The wrestling portion of it had nothing to do with the overall message of the ad, I don’t think. It’s why they panned to the men saying “Boys Will Be Boys” which is a phrase that’s self-explanatory.

The message essentially was that men need to hold each other accountable for their “masculine” (nasty, offensive and harmful) behaviors when it’s at the expense of women, people of diff. sexualities, etc.  instead of brushing it off with dated phrases like “Boys Will Be Boys.” 

4 people like this

35 minutes ago, prince. said:

The wrestling portion of it had nothing to do with the overall message of the ad, I don’t think. It’s why they planned men saying “Boys Will Be Boys” which is a phrase that’s self-explanatory.

The message essentially was that men need to hold each other accountable for their “masculine” (nasty, offensive and harmful) behaviors when it’s at the expense of women, people of diff. sexualities, etc.  instead of brushing it off with dated phrases like “Boys Will Be Boys.” 

ooooooooooooooooh!!!! yeah, definitely didn't get that message lol thank you for explaining.

2 people like this

I really can’t stand this saltine. 

1 person likes this