Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mariah.

Pop Culture Anniversaries: The Sequel

90 posts in this topic

owoOKf5.gif

Hey. Mariah here. Back with another nostalgia driven thread to celebrate some of the most important pieces of pop culture in my life and their anniversaries. Share yours, let's reminisce, let's bond, etc.

Beginning with three of my favorite albums of all time, two by my all time, most cherished artists. All turning 20.

Image result for millennium album cover Image result for christina aguilera album Image result for Destiny's Child The Writing's on the Wall

Honorable mention to other classics heard throughout my childhood:

Image result for fanmail Image result for Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication Image result for Blink-182 Enema of the State Image result for britney spears baby one more time album coverMariah Carey Rainbow.png Image result for toni braxton 1999 ALBUM

Some of my fave movies were released in 1999 too and are turning 20, including several teen CLASSICS:

Image result for Fight Club Image result for Toy Story 2 Image result for American Pie Image result for 10 Things I Hate About You Image result for Cruel Intentions Image result for She's All That Image result for Never Been Kissed Image result for The Matrix

turning 15 years old are more classics:

Image result for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Image result for spider-man 2 poster Related image Image result for Kill Bill: Vol. 2

Image result for Troy (film) Related image Image result for Mean Girls poster Image result for The Incredibles Image result for The Day After Tomorrow Image result for 13 Going on 30 poster

and the music turning 15, whew

Image result for Green Day American Idiot Image result for Gwen Stefani Love. Angel. Music. Baby. Image result for Destiny's Child Destiny Fulfilled Image result for Avril Lavigne Under My Skin Image result for The Killers Hot Fuss Image result for my chemical romance three cheers for sweet revenge Image result for Kanye West The College Dropout Image result for breakaway kelly clarkson

Anyway I covered a lot, but feel free to repost if I already named your seminal movies, music, songs and TV shows celebrating a major anniversary, or post anything not on my list! Also share your memories tied to them and why they hold a special place.

9 people like this

Oh. Maybe you do have taste after-all.

AnsgvdS.gif

1 person likes this

On a serious note though I love the Kill Bill series and always hoped Quentin would do a sequel with The Bride and Vernita Green's daughters.

Also stan for Destiny's Fulfilled! That album is on my Top 10 favorite albums of all time list. That's an album I can play in it's entirety without skipping a track. What are your favorites from it?

Speaking of Anniversaries this album is also on my top 10 and just recently had it's 15th birthday. Makes me feel so damn old. I can't believe it's been 15 years. :cry:

Usher - Confessions album cover.jpg

1 person likes this

Omg Destiny’s Child!! I just listened to their Destiny Fulfilled album a few days ago and Lose My Breathe is by far still my fav song from that album, the video clip still snaps as well. 

I love your movie list (Cruel Intentions, 10 Things I Hate About You :shook:) I would add in Bring It On (the original) to that list because it’s one of my absolute favourite teen movies to this day. 

Also Rihanna’s first song “Pon De Replay” is 14 years old and that makes me feel old because I remember when it first came out and I bopped to it everyday on the radio after school. 

1 minute ago, Kat said:

Omg Destiny’s Child!! I just listened to their Destiny Fulfilled album a few days ago and Lose My Breathe is by far still my fav song from that album, the video clip still snaps as well. 

I love your movie list (Cruel Intentions, 10 Things I Hate About You :shook:) I would add in Bring It On (the original) to that list because it’s one of my absolute favourite teen movies to this day. 

Also Rihanna’s first song “Pon De Replay” is 14 years old and that makes me feel old because I remember when it first came out and I bopped to it everyday on the radio after school. 

Bring it On is iconic. My sister and I can recite the opening song and various other parts from the movie by heart. :gaycry:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Qwan™ said:

Bring it On is iconic. My sister and I can recite the opening song and various other parts from the movie by heart. :gaycry:

Me too 😂

I also know the entire choreography of the Brr it’s cold in here dance by the Clovers. 

Edited by Kat

Well happy 15 year anniversary to theses icons of cinema
cinderella_story_keyart.jpg268x0w.jpg

Also the 15th for this iconic album that gifted us fly
Hilary-Duff-cover.jpg

I'll celebrate your faves when they show this much talent

4 people like this

21 minutes ago, Qwan™ said:

On a serious note though I love the Kill Bill series and always hoped Quentin would do a sequel with The Bride and Vernita Green's daughters.

Also stan for Destiny's Fulfilled! That album is on my Top 10 favorite albums of all time list. That's an album I can play in it's entirety without skipping a track. What are your favorites from it?

Speaking of Anniversaries this album is also on my top 10 and just recently had it's 15th birthday. Makes me feel so damn old. I can't believe it's been 15 years. :cry:

Usher - Confessions album cover.jpg

Cater 2 U, T-Shirt, Lose My Breath, Is She the Reason > :shook: 

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Kat said:

Bring it On came out in 2000, but it's absolutely one of my faves too :shook:. Also speaking of Bring It On, its stars Blaque debuted in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o10awxnXjRs

An underrated girl group :shook: 

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, Rainbow Heart said:

Hilary-Duff-cover.jpg

omg why did I forget A Cinderella Story, that was my fave movie when it came out. And Chad awakened my sexuality :shook: 

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

omg why did I forget A Cinderella Story, that was my fave movie when it came out. And Chad awakened my sexuality :shook: 

nnn the way I was reading through your op expecting to see it only for it to just not be there. 
ntMvLyi.gif

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

Bring it On came out in 2000, but it's absolutely one of my faves too :shook:. Also speaking of Bring It On, its stars Blaque debuted in 1999:

For some reason I had it in my head it was a 90’s movie 😂 (I’m awful with remembering days & dates of things) 

Also Blaque was amazing! Natina gives me life 👏🏽

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

Cater 2 U, T-Shirt, Lose My Breath, Is She the Reason > :shook: 

Is She the Reason is gospel :shook:

Fun fact regarding this album; Like three years ago I discovered the international bonus deep cut track called "Game Over" and it's everything. Maybe you'll appreciate it too. 

10 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

So underrated. 808 >>>>>>>

:shook: 

1 person likes this

Turning 25, the live action better be PERFECT. Literally my favorite movie ever:

Related image

5 people like this

15 minutes ago, Rainbow Heart said:

Hilary-Duff-cover.jpg

Raise Your Voice used to make me cry so much when I was younger cause of her brothers death 😭😭

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

The nostalgic nights in plug :laycry:

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Qwan™ said:

Is She the Reason is gospel :shook:

Fun fact regarding this album; Like three years ago I discovered the international bonus deep cut track called "Game Over" and it's everything. Maybe you'll appreciate it too. 

So underrated. 808 >>>>>>>

OMG lemme look for it. And YAS 808 snaps, their singles still sound so fresh. All R&B from that era does tbh.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Mariah. said:

OMG lemme look for it. And YAS 808 snaps, their singles still sound so fresh. All R&B from that era does tbh.

! R&B is my favorite genre and I hate that's it's pretty much non existent. There's a couple cute current artists out now but R&B singers aren't built like they used to be at all. :worried: 

The throwbacks are in constant rotation in my iTunes library. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

Turning 25, the live action better be PERFECT. Literally my favorite movie ever:

Related image

sdaasdasd the remake isn't live action it's just using photorealistic animation. Which is great cause the live action remakes have been questionable and I feel like if they tried to make this movie using real lions there would have been multiple deaths
t3c629l.gif

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

Related image

This, Aladdin & Toy Story 4 all in the same year? I think they're trying to kill me.

T5hBfXA.gif

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Kat said:

Raise Your Voice used to make me cry so much when I was younger cause of her brothers death 😭😭

I used to skip the first quarter of the movie when i watched as a child so i didn't have to see it :sasha:

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Qwan™ said:

! R&B is my favorite genre and I hate that's it's pretty much non existent. There's a couple cute current artists out now but R&B singers aren't built like they used to be at all. :worried: 

The throwbacks are in constant rotation in my iTunes library. 

I think the best names are flying under the radar, like legend Kelela! Rina Sawayama also borrows heavily from the late 90s/early 00s pop and R&B sound if you miss that vibe.

2 minutes ago, Rainbow Heart said:

sdaasdasd the remake isn't live action it's just using photorealistic animation. Which is great cause the live action remakes have been questionable and I feel like if they tried to make this movie using real lions there would have been multiple deaths
t3c629l.gif

fs;sldf tea, it's funny they commonly refer to it at that :rot: 

besides the nostalgia kick, the trailers feel kinda meh tbh. Like everything looks so drab and colorless.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

I think the best names are flying under the radar, like legend Kelela! Rina Sawayama also borrows heavily from the late 90s/early 00s pop and R&B sound if you miss that vibe.

I never heard of Rina? :newspaper: & Kelela definitely gives alternative R&B for sure. How do you feel about Miguel? I feel like he should be as big as Bruno is. Idk why he isn't? I prefer him over Bruno and Frank Ocean though personally.

1 person likes this

HEARTBREAKERS LEMME HEAR Y'ALL MAKE SOME NOISE

2 people like this