Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shoaib.

Marvel Cinematic Universe | Ryan Coogler Returning to Direct Black Panther 2

91 posts in this topic

EZm42aW.png

What started as a risky idea in the mid 2000s developed into an ambitious cross-over event before becoming a cultural phenomenon to the level nobody could've imagined, still going strong over a decade later now and days away from reaching its climax in the highly anticipated Avengers: Endgame releasing this week.

Split into the helpful Phase One, Phase Two and Phase Three—with the latter culminating this summer—currently 21 films have been released within the MCU, based on a wide array of superheroes, villains, and other supporting characters from Marvel Comics. 7 of those films sit in the top 25 highest-grossing films of all-time as of April 2019 while 14 have a score over 80% on Rotten Tomatoes. Their success has also catapulted many an actor to stardom, spawned a massively profitable merchandising brand, and made way for multiple television shows set within the universe, across platforms and with many more expected on the upcoming Disney+ streaming service, in addition to shorts, tie-in comics, and more.

While still far from perfect, recent years have seen the franchise welcome its first solo film with a black lead, black director and a predominantly black cast in the form of Black Panther and, just earlier this year, the first female-led solo film Captain Marvel—both of those crossing the billion dollar mark at the box office. The first Asian-led solo film Shang-Chi is also reportedly in production, as well as a Black Widow solo film. More of the Phase Four slate is expected to be confirmed later this year, after the inevitably game-changing events and repercussions of Endgame—the culmination of the past eleven years—have had time to set in.

Discuss all films within the MCU here.

CAUTION: Posted spoilers of any movie must be kept under spoiler tags until a month after release.

6mFQxyh.png
cdtXe1Q.png
JrUF45y.pngsdhaW98.pngmXdXqGc.png
VOKRHL7.pngcCQyxF2.pngRaKNFi2.png
XXxkwZq.pngjs8CiGx.pngUVvQ5Ao.png
lOFfdFS.pnghLl3vpT.pngJTNYgx3.png

Olpf0Ds.png
2OqxtHa.pngF4DiqHz.pngEO7aC82.png
eSJ7Kw7.png5ZXQwG2.pngjyNvUu9.png
dbis6ad.pngEsqic4k.pngOXWUlSC.png
ipwUYuZ.pngojpGLI5.pngYibXAcx.png

DtBJ4YA.png
0eqokaI.pngLOcxENO.pngOzv1tDa.png
MVdjXQG.pnge122IZN.pnghdfXr96.png
TDHI7Kh.png6qknx7x.pngl6YzXrB.png
M9zRkhh.pngr2ZoXyJ.pngCJDOVjf.png
Vy3zzD0.pngqI7MgCI.pngO90MINO.png
V6Is29X.pngas6rpRs.pngIDs8cKk.png

jBDKp40.png

owUjcxs.png8DktJMC.png
18fq2GK.pngXRfWyMZ.png

L4Vnmx0.png

dPKJJya.png
9JmkzTi.png

3 people like this

Jake looks so fucking good, I'm FUMING @Jake

3 people like this

Tom Holland teases Spider-Man's adventure abroad in Far From Home

What happens when your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man ventures out of the neighborhood?

Spider-Man: Far From Home follows teenager Peter Parker (Tom Holland) across the pond as he hangs up his Spidey suit for a class trip to Europe. If the Peter of 2017’s Spider-Man: Homecoming longed for more grown-up, world-saving responsibility, this Peter is a bit more willing to hang on to his youth and spend a few weeks not stopping supervillains.

“Peter’s ready for a vacation at the beginning of this movie, to say the least,” returning director Jon Watts tells EW of the hardworking hero. “This film is about the world telling him, ‘It’s time for you to step up and grow up, kid,’ and he’s saying, ‘But I still want to be a kid and go on vacation.’”

Unfortunately for Peter, the forces of evil have other plans. His attempts to prolong his childhood felt relatable to Holland and Watts, and relatability runs deep in Spider-Man’s veins (not unlike a certain radioactive spider venom). After all, most of us have more in common with an awkward kid from Queens than a golden Asgardian god or a de-iced World War II supersoldier. When Homecoming hit theaters two summers ago, Holland waded through comments on social media to see what fans most connected with and what he should explore in the sequel. The overwhelming answer was Peter’s approachability.

“Everyone really enjoyed the fact that throughout [Homecoming], there’s always something you can relate to with him,” Holland explains. “So in this film, especially, we tried to tailor the script in a way so that we could hit so many different relatable scenarios, so that not a single person in the world felt left out watching this movie.”

Still, not all Peter’s problems are universal. Despite his desire to lie low and explore London, Prague, and Venice with his friends, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) recruits him to help battle a mysterious quartet called the Elementals, who can manipulate nature. Since Peter doesn’t want to expose his secret identity by gallivanting around Europe in Spidey’s tights, Fury lends him an all-black stealth suit. (“It kind of looks like Black Widow — maybe it was one of her suits and they just tailored it,” Watts quips.)

Fury also connects Peter with a new ally: Quentin Beck, a.k.a. Mysterio, a powerful magician played by Jake Gyllenhaal. “If Tony Stark was sort of the mentor in the previous films, we thought it would be interesting to play Mysterio as almost like the cool uncle,” Watts says.

Spider-Man and Mysterio spark a close friendship — as did Holland, 22, and Gyllenhaal, 38. “If you look at any interview I’ve ever done prior to this movie and someone asked me, ‘Who would you work with if you could work with any actor?’ I would’ve said Jake Gyllenhaal,” Holland says. “And when I found out it was him, I was stoked, but also really nervous. But Jake absolutely was more than I ever could have expected.” The only issue was “sometimes they would crack each other up, and we could not get through takes occasionally,” Watts says with a laugh. “It was a problem!”

A secret mission, a sleek black suit, an exotic European setting.… In some ways, Far From Home sounds more like a spy movie than a teen adventure. And on set, the cast and crew embraced that secret-agent vibe. “We were doing a bunch of shots that looked like they were out of The Bourne Identity or some exciting European action-travel movie,” Watts says. Eventually he got one of those small button-activated recorders that can capture and play back a sound, and whenever they nailed a take, Watts would blast the opening notes of Moby’s “Extreme Ways” — that’s right, the theme song to all five Bourne films.

“The button was a big thing for everyone,” Holland confirms. “It became a stupid running joke that got out of control,” Watts adds, laughing.

Hey, “Spider-Bourne” has a nice ring to it.

Entertainment Weekly

1 person likes this

I AM IN FUCKING SHAMBLES, TEARS. LEGITIMATELY UNSTABLE, FUCK. 

I can’t even REMEMBER the last time I cried at a theater. I was probably still in fucking middle school. :shook: Movie of the fucking decade but I am really distraught:shook: 

2 people like this

Far from Home looks like shit. Jake should’ve called in sick.

2 people like this

well fuck :rot: 

2 people like this

14 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

well fuck :rot: 

If anyone thought any different fans have been waiting for this. :clap:

It’s been over 24 hours and I’m still so shook by it.

There wasn’t enough Captain Marvel.

And I need a movie of all the women teaming up

1 person likes this

This was so good :sasha: These bitches really know how to take you on a roller coaster of emotions :shook:

It was so good. It was really long though, I literally had to pee so I ran out during the h*wk guy scene, and had my friend tell me everything I missed. >:( 

this is wild :rot: 

It was so amazing and a perfect way to end the series. :clap: 

Me after the last 20 minutes of the film

l1of4lF.gif

4 people like this

Spoiler

When Capt made the save and picked up the hammer

l1of4lF.gif

When everyone jumped out the portals from their alternate realities to assist

l1of4lF.gif

When they cut to the women banding together to slay

l1of4lF.gif

5 people like this

11 hours ago, Don Draper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

When Capt made the save and picked up the hammer

l1of4lF.gif

When everyone jumped out the portals from their alternate realities to assist

l1of4lF.gif

When they cut to the women banding together to slay

l1of4lF.gif

Yeah, these got the wildest pops in the theater.

2 people like this

Saw it on Thursday but thought I'd give myself the weekend to absorb everything (because holy shit) + avoid giving weaklings easy access to spoilers. HOWEVER, I'm ready to give my thoughts.

ZJNgR2s.gif

I pretty much loved every beat in IW so between that and all the hype, it had a LOT to live up to and I think it delivered... to an extent. The magnitude, the stakes, the importance are unheard of and the energy in the room was palpable before the trailers had even started. I've definitely never experienced anything like it or at least to this degree in my lifetime. Without a doubt, the Star Wars of this gen.

Spoiler

Let me get this off my chest early so I can focus on the positives: Thor's arc was trash. As one of the originals, he deserved better for the biggest MCU film to date and the culmination of that era PERIOD. Hulk was mostly comic relief too but at least he got to wield the gauntlet. I was HEATED but since feel better after reading this, although I still hope they have a better idea in mind for his official sendoff (since I'm assuming that wasn't it) or I'm suing! He had the potential to be the most emotional arc in the most emotional chapter which is the only reason I can think of as to why they'd sabotage, so as to not overshadow Tony or Steve's endings, but it just ended up making Thor the bigger takeaway/talking point for me.

ANYWAYS 

The time heist was obvious to anyone who had followed production or even just watched the trailers tbh, but it was great. Working in nods to past movies was a genius idea because it's fun for everyone, from the ones who've seen all or most of those movies to the ones who haven't and need a quick refresher of where each stone came from.

The MOMENTS though. Besides the entrances followed by "Avengers assemble" I popped for three specifically, louder than the last every time: Cap wielding Mjolnir, Scarlet Witch going TOE TO TOE with Thanos and then ofc the women coming together :shook:. I'm smiling just thinking about the last, the straight white men can keep crying! Speaking of, Captain Marvel's entrance was fucking badass too and she was giving Thanos that WORK. I thought she'd have a bigger role but she was really just sprinkled in as necessary to get from A to B using her powers but not necessary to the story overall, which is lame because she was positioned as THE game changer but w/e.

Peter Parker killed it again, for sure got the most cheers during the entrances, followed by T'Challa.

Nebula's screentime was very satisfying and she knocked it out of the park in all her scenes for me. I'm glad she got the heavy involvement she deserves, 2014-Nebula's end was :(

The Widow/Hawkeye stuff on Vormir was really good, although I didn't catch on that they didn't know about the sacrifice at first so I was like ? :skull: I loved the idea of them fighting each other to be the one who jumps though, the way I was going "NO" every time he went and then "YES" every time she did jfl;gd. It was a good ending for her though and the right choice between the two, just a bit unfortunate that it was the death of the only woman of the original six. I thought they were going to dwell on her thing with Bruce since it was brushed past pretty quickly in IW but thank fuck for Professor Hulk killing the chances of that because the angle was so forced. Natasha's been tired for a few years now but she got some nice redemption and went out on her best look yet, minus the blonde on the end of the pony, we (kinda) stan!

Feelings about the ending can't really be put into words. Everyone knew Evans and RDJ were done but it was surreal to actually see it. I kinda knew Tony was dying the moment he got his closure with his dad fff, but the how was fun. The long shot with everyone at the lake was beautiful and we are HERE for Sam getting to be Cap. We will choose to ignore the messiness of Cap going from Peggy to her niece to back to Peggy in one lifetime, although Sharon Carter didn't deserve the disrespect! The Russos went the wrong way with that one and then just discarded her, smh.

Overall, everything was tied up pretty well all things considered and every scene went into the next without making it actually feel like 3 hours. Only the 70s part dragged on ever so slightly.

Conclusion: IW is a better overall movie imo while the last hour or so of Endgame is the most gratifying thing the MCU has ever produced. Endgame will likely age better though.

3 people like this

Spoiler

The only complaint I have was the film dragged once the script doubled down on the Thor jokes. The direction of his character made sense to establish Thanos as a greater threat, but the jokes for me missed the mark once the shock value of him as a fat drunk wore off. The Fortnite scene alone, I-

A couple of things as well. What will be the direction of the Black Widow project now that she’s (technically) dead? Will Disney just explore her backstory or will someone in the Avengers attempt to bring her back from an alternate reality? They’ve kind of complicated their timeline and would have been better off killing off Hawkeye. Nobody gives a shit about him. And why wasn’t Gamora at the funeral or with Thor in the ship? Her ass disappearing like a missing child after she kneed Quill in his balls. 

ZJNgR2s.gif

3 people like this

But if we’re to be honest, Marvel is about 8-9 years late with this Black Widow solo film. They should have released in tandem with Captain America: The First Avenger or not much later than that.

ZJNgR2s.gif

4 people like this

15 hours ago, Don Draper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The only complaint I have was the film dragged once the script doubled down on the Thor jokes. The direction of his character made sense to establish Thanos as a greater threat, but the jokes for me missed the mark once the shock value of him as a fat drunk wore off. The Fortnite scene alone, I-

A couple of things as well. What will be the direction of the Black Widow project now that she’s (technically) dead? Will Disney just explore her backstory or will someone in the Avengers attempt to bring her back from an alternate reality? They’ve kind of complicated their timeline and would have been better off killing off Hawkeye. Nobody gives a shit about him. And why wasn’t Gamora at the funeral or with Thor in the ship? Her ass disappearing like a missing child after she kneed Quill in his balls. 

ZJNgR2s.gif

Spoiler

I think because it's technically 2014-pre-Guardians-Gamora that's living in 2023 now, she dipped as soon as the battle was won to do some soul searching. Part of GOTG3 will be a search for her, I guess? Probably a joke incoming since the other Gamora died for the soul stone, lmao.

2 people like this

Spoiler

The only thing I’m still confused about is the time jump. At the end of the movie HOW was Peter just casually going back to school as if nothing happened and how did none of his classmates age?? I know apparently the people who were snapped, time stopped for them so maybe that explains them, but what about everyone else? And how did school just pick right back up when in reality the whole world should still be recovering? 

It’ll be interesting to see how or if they explain any of this in FFH.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Josh. said:

Hidden Content

Spoiler

!!! That's my biggest criticism of the movie, and exactly why I didn't want them to touch time travel in the first place. If 3.5 billion people suddenly showed up, to an already collapsing planet, things would only get worse. The jobs they don't have any more, their houses and property being sold off, spouses moving on, friends being 5 years older or dead! :rot: