Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Black Terminator

Vince McMahon Started Wild Card Rule Due to Pressure From FOX and NBCU Over Ratings, Doesn’t Want to Let Go of Brand Split

16 posts in this topic

– During today’s edition of The Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer reported on the backstage rumors surrounding WWE and Vince McMahon enacting the new Wild Card rule, which we saw play out last night on Monday Night Raw. According to Meltzer, Vince McMahon added the new Wild Card rule due to outside pressure he’s facing from both the USA Network and FOX to boost up WWE’s declining ratings.

Meltzer stated that WWE’s backs “were against the wall” after the ratings drop last weekfor Raw and Smackdown, and Vince McMahon knew that he had to “make changes.”

Additionally, Meltzer stated that Vince McMahon “did not want to give up on the idea of brands,” or rather having separate brands for Raw and Smackdown, but he added, “The pressure was definitely there from both sides, both NBCUniversal and FOX, although FOX isn’t in the game yet.” He continued:

“They [NBCU and FOX] both will not be happy with bad ratings because of how much money they’re spending. It’s a lot different game than this XFL where things are fine because they’re not spending any money on it. These companies want ratings with that kind of money they’re spending, especially because it’s not an advertising friendly product. They want star power, and these brands individually don’t have enough star power.”

Meltzer also went on to say that after Smackdown Live moves to FOX later this fall, FOX wants storylines to be featured on both Raw and Smackdown. Additionally, he claimed that NBCUniversal was “real upset” about the ratings for Raw last weekend, especially the ratings in the third hour, questioning why the Raw brand gave away Roman Reigns, who returned to Raw this week.

It seems a simple solution here would be to end the second brand split, which is already eroding at the seams.

Source:  https://411mania.com/wrestling/vince-mcmahon-pressure-ratings-wwe-networks/

first he was hard to convince to do brand split in 2016, now he doesn't want to let it go LOL :sasha:

can't wait for 30 diva battle royals to fit every girl on the show :charsmile:

We basically already don’t have separate Women’s Champions with Becky holding both, but ending the brand split and reverting back to one women’s singles title would also destroy the women’s division, so maybe we are done watching for good. It seems inevitable at this point that the brand extension is ending.

7XE74aJ.gif

6 people like this

They're trying to place the blame on everything else but the product itself. I mean they can't even provide compelling content to convince the audience that they have left to tune in.  Multiple women on two separate brands but somehow they're burying half of them while leaving the rest in catering posting selfies. Also, smart TV's and these streaming networks are killing cable TV no one really watches TV anymore.

7XE74aJ.gif

4 people like this

They just need to change everything with creative, and Vince needs to step back a bit and let HHH & Stephanie take over. 

36 minutes ago, FROOT said:

They just need to change everything with creative, and Vince needs to step back a bit and let HHH & Stephanie take over. 

I doubt WWE under Triple H and Stephanie’s leadership will be any different. They’ll still operate using most of Vince’s strategies because they’ve (for the most part) proven successful.

7XE74aJ.gif

2 people like this

we’re bored Karen

7XE74aJ.gif

Posted (edited)

I’m glad that fans are starting to tune out FINALLY! I’m one of them. There’s nothing exciting or interesting about their product. It’s as if no effort is put into storylines and feuds at all which is a shame because they have so much talent and all the resources they could ever need.

I’m hoping they’re working on putting out a more exciting product.

Edited by Mikie91
5 people like this

too bad they can't successfully rebrand themselves like HB. take notes, Vince. or don't, 'cause you probably wouldn't even pay @Mariah.

Image result for laycool gif 

4 people like this

They really can’t produce a compelling storylines anymore I swear. Brie vs Stephanie really was the last hot feud the company had going for itself, a shame when you really think about it.

7XE74aJ.gif

Removing the brand split won’t fix anything it’s just going to overexpose the few stars they have left.

As if Vince really cared about the WWE anymore. He's there, he shows up every now and then to hog the spotlight, thinking he actually draws ratings when he's not, gets his money and that's it. If his own world eventually crumbles right all over him, he better not blame it on us for not wanting to watch our faves being buried and, for some of us, humiliated in front of the world

I said it in another thread, but at this point, I'm actively anticipating SD getting cancelled on FOX. It's sad for the girlies, but maybe complete failure will convince WWE to get their shit together.

7XE74aJ.gif

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Mikie91 said:

I’m glad that fans are starting to tune out FINALLY! I’m one of them. There’s nothing exciting or interesting about their product. It’s as if no effort is put into storylines and feuds at all which is a shame because they have so much talent and all the resources they could ever need.

I’m hoping they’re working on putting out a more exciting product.

Agreed.

The thing is - the solution is so simple... make the product more interesting! If they are looking for ideas, fans have been writting fantasy booking posts for years!:laugh2: There is so many talented stars on the roster, and creating a crap rule which just confuses the whole brand split is stupid. Put more effort into developing the characters and writing long term storylines instead of just throw away matches every week. I am losing interest with the WWE day by day because of the stupid things they do.

If the brand split does get axed, it would really be the end of the so called "Women's Revolution". They don't even properly showcase all the members of the roster with two brands at the moment, it would be a disaster with just one.

this wasn't happening when nikki was in a title feud

This is what happens when you only focus on a couple wrestlers, make them the top talents of the company, and disregard the other 95% of the roster. Moving to Fox is blowing up in their faces now that two networks are fighting over a couple guys. Now the top guys are overworked and even more of the roster is stuck in catering being given less opportunities.