Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shumiley

What 1 season TV Show deserved to last longer?

20 posts in this topic

During the annual TV Blood Bath season, we lose many rookie shows that we strongly believed deserved to reach a wider audience. Sometimes it's due to the poor marketing, other times it's actor negotiations getting in the way. Or, more often than ever, it was just too niche of a programme for a mainstream audience to get into. But either way, there are tons of shows that we all wish could've had more seasons to them. So my question, much like the title suggests, is what TV show that only lasted a season (so even the 2 season shows aren't included) do you think should've been given another run, and why?

Just some of my personal choices:

Class (BBC Three) - The Doctor Who spin-off that had a good premise fell flat because the promotional team had no idea if it was for kids, teens, young adults or the sex-obsessed. Some of the acting was also a bit meh whilst the writing fell of here and there. But overall, it was a promising show with some solid work put in. It also introduced me to one of my fave actors, Fady Elsayed, who I got to work with for a little bit at the beginning of this year :daydream:

Red Band Society (FOX) - This youth medical drama about kids with long-term illnesses (including eating disorders, cancer, and even a kid in a coma) had so much heart to it. The cast was brilliant, the writing was great, and it had the Octavia Spencer in a role she's never quite done before. Everything went perfectly well for it, except for its ratings. The show didn't have tons of promotion, and was somehow targeted at Glee fans despite it having a younger cast and not being a musical nor a comedy whatsoever. But nonetheless, the show was brilliant, and deserved so much better.

Hellcats (The CW) - This cheerleader oriented show starring High School Musical's Ashley Tisdale as well as other notable names like Alyson Michalka, Matt arr and Gail O'Grady had a loyal following (mostly tweens that stanned Disney Channel) which, despite its devotion, wasn't big enough to keep it going beyond a season. The show had a strong cast, but they clearly tried too hard to stretch it to 22 episodes that the middle of the lot got lost in the pack and lost some viewers with it. Maybe it would have lasted in today's climate as networks are less likely to give a rookie show 22 episodes and thus forced them to stick a more condensed and easy-to-follow 12/13 episode arc.

Selfie (ABC) - In the age of social media, this satirical comedy about a young woman obsessed with likes and follows seemed destined for a good few seasons. Unfortunately this Karen Gillan (Doctor Who) lead series hardly lasted a season. Receiving consistent criticism from critics across the board, as well as being frowned upon by every millennial hating adult, it lost its way during the 2014/2015 season very early on, with the show being dropped early by ABC and the final episodes being placed on Hulu at once. The show, beyond its superficial outlook had a lot of heart to it, and ended up being a show about a young woman finding her womanhood, independence and picking up an intelligent man along the way that learnt a thing or two from her "negative" habits.

I'll probably add a few more down the line, but these are a few that I wish could've lasted longer.

2 people like this

The first show to come to mind was 666 Park Avenue

Image result for 666 park avenue

I rewatched it a couple years ago on Netflix and it was as good as I remembered. It's a shame One Million Moms played a part in it getting cancelled.

1 person likes this

Siberia! I was so mad it didn't get renewed and it was left on such a cliff hanger. I legit still think about that show. Stupid NBC. I'm a little salty they cancelled Hannibal too, even though that wasn't a 1 season show.

2 people like this

115487076_1300x1733.jpg

This show was and absolute failure ratings wise, especially after all the effort they put in to promote it. But I just love the muppets and would probably watch them do just about anything, so even though the show was just fine I would have watched way more. Also it ended on a cliff hanger so like ... fuck them

2 people like this

Freaks & Geeks! So good! I’ve watched the only season several times and it’s just such a good show, should’ve continued for sure. Also completely agree with you about Hellcats! That was a good show! 

2 people like this

I used to bug about LA Complex for the longest. 

How to Make it in America, Noah’s Arc. Those are what’s on top of my head as of this post.

2 people like this

El Recluso because it was LIT and they left it on a good cliffhanger to set up season 2

1 person likes this

Fuller House season 1 was so fun

1 person likes this

market.jpg

A show with lukewarm ratings, but with great potential and had found its creative stride toward the end. NBC can still choke for cancelling.

QIrXisD.gif

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Rainbow Heart said:

115487076_1300x1733.jpg

This show was and absolute failure ratings wise, especially after all the effort they put in to promote it. But I just love the muppets and would probably watch them do just about anything, so even though the show was just fine I would have watched way more. Also it ended on a cliff hanger so like ... fuck them

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Christon said:

I used to bug about LA Complex for the longest. 

How to Make it in America, Noah’s Arc. Those are what’s on top of my head as of this post.

i was so mad this got cancelled, it deserved so much better, but they're working on rebooting it for some reason

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Don Draper said:

market.jpg

A show with lukewarm ratings, but with great potential and had found its creative stride toward the end. NBC can still choke for cancelling.

QIrXisD.gif

I always thought it was just a mini series only meant for one season. I really liked it though! Lucius Malfoy looks much better without the hair. He could get it. He was hot in Dig as well. ...another 1 season show. I sense a theme with him.

1 person likes this

Image result for deception

THIS SHOW!!! I LOVED it. Instinct started at the same time, it was okay, but I liked Deception a lot more. Such a fun concept.

1 person likes this

Image result for the real housewives of dc

1 person likes this

Freaks & Geeks ofc 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, shumiley said:

giphy.gif

welp this is the last time I contribute
WzPXyiv.gif

1 person likes this

p8682507_b_v8_aa.jpg

I'm still a bit mad at the CW for canceling this. It got kind of messy towards the end, but it was watchable (unlike R*verdale).

QIrXisD.gif

Hellcats was my first thought, such a good show that deserved better!

1 person likes this

This is an old one but, My So-Called Life.

Image result for my so called life

It was the first of it's kind, a show about teens in the 90s that accurately displayed what it felt like to be a teen girl. It also ended on a cliffhanger....

I've read what a second season would have been like and am just forever gutted it never panned out. It still holds up to this day.

Related image Related image

1 person likes this