Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Fox

Uncanny X-Men: The Story So Far

8 posts in this topic

759077._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
Uncanny X-Men #18 by Matthew Rosenberg

Emma Frost is now the new Black King of Hell Fire Club with Mystique as her right hand. How did we get here and why can't the X-Men remember Emma Frost besides Juggernaut? Before we can answer that, I must tell you about where the X-Men are now and it doesn't start with this latest volume of Uncanny X-Men.

cmx-cu-sash-lg.png|0,0,361,554%20208,401
Death of X # 1 by Jeff Lemire

We begin here, Death of X. The last story of Cyclops, definitive leader of the X-Men. Cyclops preceding this story was a mutant renegade. He and his team of mutants were on a mission to force the world to embrace mutant-kind when they felt Xavier's dream was narrow in thought. They helped, but their heroics was chaotic in nature and thus they were painted as villains in their own narrative. In Death of X, mutants are dying when a Terrigen Gas that turns ordinary people into Inhumans has now reaching toxic levels and soon will reach levels where mutants will no longer be able to live on earth.

death-of-jamie-madrox-death-of-x-1.jpg

Cyclops sees this scene and decides it is time to take action against the gas by containing and destroying it. This causes friction between him and the X-Men, now lead by Storm. Cyclops sends out a team to get the first gas while he will get the second with his girlfriend, Emma Frost. Storm also sends out a team, but this team is to prevent Cyclops from destroying the gas and stopping a war with the Inhumans. By the end of this miniseries they are able to destroy the first gas and they aim to get the second, but they come face to face with Inhuman Royals Black Bolt and Medusa.

Death-of-X-4-Inhumans-vs-X-Men-ResurrXio

Cyclop would be seen perishing to dust in front of everyone who has known and loved him. A younger version of himself (who was brought from the past by Beast to help Cyclop remember his youthful determination) would also see this. The man who has lead the X-Men through so many wars has now been reduce to ash by a single word. A funeral by the X-Men was held and they laid their former leader to rest, but a TWIST was revealed. The Cyclops they saw turned to dust wasn't Cyclops at all. It was a mental projection by Emma (check her nose bleed above). The truth was Cyclops died in the very first issue of DOX as soon as he inhaled the gas. He got M-pox and died, but Emma didn't want to reveal this truth to anyone. She would then used the projected death of Cyclops as a means to motivate The X-Men to fight back, trigger all out war with the Inhumans, and avenge the death of her love.

This would lead to Inhumans vs X-Men which saw the X-Men finally put an end to the Terrigen Gas that would destroy them when Medusa, with the convincing of the new Inhumans, realized that the gas wasn't worth the extinction of mutant-kind. Everyone was satisfied, but Emma, who still felt the hurt of the love of her life being dead. It would be this sorrow that caused her to reprogram Sentinels to kill all Inhuman life on the planet. She managed to kill three blimps that had new Inhumans in them before she was stopped. She would soon meet her end, but is saved by Cyclops' brother, Havok, who scoops her up and takes her to where she kept his brother's body. And with the end of that, the Inhumans Royals would return to space with a new mission to get more Terrigen Gas while the X-Men moved back to defending a world that fear them.

484809._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg250px-X-Men_Blue.jpg91rZjfOzdGL.jpg51ycZcLj4dL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The X-Men would return to form, with a new leader in Kitty Pryde. There would be love and sadness. Jean Grey and Wolverine would then return while we said good bye to the young version of the Original X-Men (Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman, and Jean). Besty Braddock would finally return to being a white woman while the asian body she stole would return to consciousness. And a younger Cable would move to his own beat. This was all to set the table for the return of the X-Men flagship: Uncanny X-Men.

711931._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The first arc of this relaunch was X-Men: Disassembled. This week to week arc put the X-Men to the test as they faced off against Nate Grey, an alternate timeline created from the mind of Legion during the Age of Apocalypse story. In this arc, Nate was dying and he felt has had done nothing to help mutant-kind, so he decides to put on his Jesus best and recreate the world in his image. He frees the world of pollution, brings back dinosaurs, and makes the water clean again. All nice and great things if he wasn't killing people while doing it. Jean and Storm lead a team to prevent this while also looking for their kidnapped leader Kitty, who was being held alongside Apocalypse to be Nate's council as he reformed the world. This would lead to one final battle with Nate where by the end of end of it the X-Men and Nate die.

40JeTzoMJNnV44H9xpDadRFOqP0XFzhY0w0cvA7R

The world is finally free of The X-Men. A cure, which Beast was making, had been hand delivered to the government by a mutant after he stole it out of Beast's lab and was being administered to the remaining mutants left. It was all over, until a final reveal.

pb1j6c5VpzSe3YhtHfURPULyyzwyZsFnp5HuMBeG

Cyclops is alive!! How? It was revealed in the very next issue that the younger version of Cable that spun out of the Extermination arc was not only on a mission to return the original 5 X-Men back home, but also bring back his father. In the issue we see that he used a piece of the Phoenix to bring back his father from his death. In this latest arc, Cyclops is on a mission to make sure the legacy of the X-Men doesn't die. He is able to gather old members of the team, who had been in hiding from the government, and puts together a hit list. These people were to be arrested and sent to the government to face justice.

LIST.jpg

They do a pretty good job with the list, but it seems like Cyclops is returning back to bad habits while Wolverine who was told to protect him during a vision is finding it increasingly hard to do so because of these habits. X-Men die along the way, and in one especially hard case, Rahne, who was murdered in an attack that would feel ripped from the headlines. This all becomes too much for Wolverine who ultimately decides to quit the team leaving only the message that all the remaining X-Men are in a suicide mission Cyclops didn't tell them about. The team decides they will see the list through, but this still begs the question: Why did they forget Emma Frost? Did she make them forget? We don't know yet. All we do know is that Cyclops is calling Mystique. Why? We will find out soon.74tg6h5fdwTet0YQROzmjfyIUE1q3v4ucCY-nmr4

I should also note that the X-Men aren't actually dead, but trapped in alt society created by Nate Grey called Age of X-Man where mutants live in peace but can't have sex or smoke weed. There is one book that has Apocalypse attempted to legalize Mary Jane in the Utopian world and another that has literal cockblockers that arrest mutants who engage in sexual acts. Whew.

That is it. The so far on the X-Men. I will keep doing these summaries for each issue as a way to keep up those who may not find it particularly interesting to go out there and read these books. For those who have read, I suggest you reply in this thread about the issues you have read and respond in my future issue summaries. This book is on a Countdown to another major relaunch with Power of X and House of X, so this volume of Uncanny will end in June along with previously mentioned Age of X-Man titles.

9 people like this

I never have time to get through and buy comics. Most of my history comes from the movies, and little exerts from the Internet here and there. King @Captain Fox coming through. :shook: 

4 people like this

I should also note that the X-Men aren't actually dead, but trapped in alt society created by Nate Grey called Age of X-Man where mutants live in peace but can't have sex or smoke weed. There is one book that has Apocalypse attempted to legalize Mary Jane in the Utopian world and another that has literal cockblockers that arrest mutants who engage in sexual acts. Whew

:dead:

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, Amlex said:

I should also note that the X-Men aren't actually dead, but trapped in alt society created by Nate Grey called Age of X-Man where mutants live in peace but can't have sex or smoke weed. There is one book that has Apocalypse attempted to legalize Mary Jane in the Utopian world and another that has literal cockblockers that arrest mutants who engage in sexual acts. Whew

:dead:

An experience. :shook:

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Captain Fox said:

Besty Braddock would finally return to being a white woman while the asian body she stole would return to consciousness.

I-

I forgot how confusing fucking comics can be omg. Thank you for doing these write ups @Captain Fox i'll be perched for the next ones.

4 people like this

30 minutes ago, Puggle said:

I-

I forgot how confusing fucking comics can be omg. Thank you for doing these write ups @Captain Fox i'll be perched for the next ones.

You're welcome. It was fun to write. I might do Catwoman tonight.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Captain Fox said:

:excited: 

This was great, it has me screaming :ahh: 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Captain Fox said:

Please do!

2 people like this