Mariah.

Heartbreakers Movie Club

33 posts in this topic

If you could recommend three movies --- one personal favorite, one you think is objectively a must see classic, and one you think is underrated/no one has seen --- what would they be and why?

Image result for oprah gif

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either Heat or Spy because they're hilarious. I love that women can take the lead in comedy/action (okay not Rambo action, but more action than Bridesmaids was) and totally kill it.

Silence of the Lambs. It's a classic. The story is great, the characters are interesting, and it's one of the few movies I will ever say is way better than the book. The entire Hannibal Lecter series is better as movies honestly.

For Richer or Poorer. Literally my favorite movie ever. It may not be "underrated," I don't think anyone was giving Oscar worthy performances and the story wasn't that crazy, but I love it. Drop Dead Gorgeous is another.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal favorite would be Orphan. It's a thriller about a psycho child with an unexpected twist. Isabelle Fuhrman was also in Hunger Games, playing another psycho bitch so you know she's going to serve

Must see classic would be Office Space. A comedy from 1999 about office life with a funny twist at the end. It's a bit weird to follow but support miss Jennifer Aniston as the female love interest.

Underrated movie would be What Happened to Mondays, A dystopian thriller about a one child policy society, where there are 7 sisters are born. They're trained all to act like one person, and are named after the days of the week. Monday doesn't return home and the siblings try to find out what happened to her.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kill Bill is probably my #1 personal favorite. The first time I watched it was at a friend's house in high school, and I didn't think I was going to enjoy it at all but it sucked me in immediately. The story itself is very satisfying.

I'm a spooky bitch, so my mind immediately jumped to Halloween as a must-see classic. A low-budget flick that was projected to fail did numbers at the box office, birthed an entire genre, and gave legend Jamie Lee Curtis an iconic start to her career.

For an underrated movie, I'll toss Jennifer's Body into the fold. I think if it had been marketed as camp instead of straight up horror, it'd have been perceived better.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Logan Von Erich said:

For an underrated movie, I'll toss Jennifer's Body into the fold. I think if it had been marketed as camp instead of straight up horror, it'd have been perceived better.

"You're killing people"
"No, I'm killing boys."

A classic, maybe it was too ahead of its time for some people
celebrity-gifs-jivebunnys-8600023.gif

Favourite - A Cinderella Story (The Hilary Duff original), deep down I think I know it's kind of tropey and a little bit trash but it's just my like go to comfort movie. I still laugh even though i have seen it an ungodly amount of times. 

Must See Classic - What We Do In The Shadows (2014). This one is still kind of new so I don't know if classic is the right word for it yet but I love it dearly. Taika Waititi is such a good director and I love his acting here too. It's a really good deconstruction of vampire tropes and I do really recommend this one since it's probably my only fave that's not trash deep down.

Underrated -  D.E.B.S. I also think this one is a little bit trash deep down but it is a nice feel good gay romance with a campy spy movie sheen thrown over the top. It's a movie I can just throw on whenever and just be entertained for 90 minutes. It's not the best movie but it's entertaining and fun and tbh the world needs more of that considering most gay movies end depressingly

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal favorite Glitter y’all can fight me all y’all want.

Highly recommend Pretty in Pink, the soundtrack the movie theme. Something about this movie just sucks me in every time I watch it.

Underrated that many haven’t seen would be God’s Own country. Tells such a great story of fighting through your sexuality truly truly amazing.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did I think this was a set up for a HB weekly movie night? But thanks for the recommendations!

Image result for oprah gif

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 28 Days Later: It's not just another zombie movie at all. The atmosphere in the first half of the movie is unmatched, the infected are much scarier than typical zombies, and the symbolism is subtle but full of heart.
  • Star Wars trilogy: forget the modern discourse, start with episode 4 (1977 classic version) and hold on. Sometimes you need to watch a ragtag group of heroes take on a fascist government and succeed in toppling the bad guys. It has something for everyone. I like the newer films as well, don't listen to the butt hurt nerds.
  • Ghost World: I feel like this movie bridges the gap in presenting how it feels to move from one milestone (in this case HS) to the next. Finding yourself, questioning what you want from the world, growing out of friendships, Ghost World is fun and ultimately about change. 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favourite has to be Inception. It’s such a trip, but the first time I watched it, it constantly kept me guessing. I like how it keeps you in the dark as well. Brilliant film.

One everybody should watch would be Annihilation with Natalie Portman and Tessa Thompson. Some very haunting scenes and things escalate quickly as hell. Film is crazy af but entertaining.

Underrated: Bumblebee. It was the first Transformers movie in ages that was actually good and well made.

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kevin Thomas said:

Why did I think this was a set up for a HB weekly movie night? But thanks for the recommendations!

Image result for oprah gif

Same. I was disappointed low-key nn.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kevin Thomas said:

Why did I think this was a set up for a HB weekly movie night? But thanks for the recommendations!

Image result for oprah gif

hmmm, if this thread gets 20 replies, then maybe

Image result for oprah gif

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kevin Thomas said:

Why did I think this was a set up for a HB weekly movie night? But thanks for the recommendations!

Image result for oprah gif

 

1 hour ago, Qwan™ said:

Same. I was disappointed low-key nn.

 

I barley see you two on HB if we had one how would you even know?

giphy.gif

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric said:

 

I barley see you two on HB if we had one how would you even know?

giphy.gif

I check the site every day.

giphy.gif

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this was actually really hard, especially taking into consideration all that I've seen and all my faves, but I came to some sort of tentative conclusion.

I think for my favorite, I'm gonna have to go with Titanic. Which while obvious, it's just such a seminal movie for me and it feels timeless. Honorable mentions: Romeo + Juliet, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, Scream, The Lion King, Clueless, Wonder Woman

For a must watch classic, I was gonna go with The Silence of the Lambs, but that was already clocked. So I'm gonna go with something I think is a classic, but it's probably gone under the radar for some: Minority Report. It's literally, in my opinion, the best science fiction movie ever and is thus must-watch.

For underrated, it's a movie of bunch of us watched recently, but it's literally so, so good and I want everyone to see it: Good Time. Get into your new Batman! I'm also gonna slip in a nod to Josie and the Pussycats since everyone I mention it to hasn't seemed to see it and it's so underrated. Not even critics fully understood that it was satire :rot: 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have many personal favorites, but I think I’ll give the win to The Girl Next Door! Definitely the GOAT romantic comedy :crying: Which says a lot since there’s many good ones!(What Happens in Vegas being one of them) As cheesy as it sounds, there’s sentimental value in one of the lines. It inspires me to be daring and take risks in life

bffc5466b15c1e3dc2ef621f8a9a4ae0.jpg

 

A must watch classic to me would be the 2003 version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre! Truly a thrilling movie and Jessica Biel did such an amazing job in it :shook: 

 

An underrated movie I don’t think many have seen is one called “Mindscape” it’s also called “Anna”. I’m not sure why it has two titles :rot: It’s really good tho! If you’re into psychology and how people’s minds can operate you’d really like it.  I’d also recommend “Another Earth” I thought it was a beautiful film

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mariah. said:

So this was actually really hard, especially taking into consideration all that I've seen and all my faves, but I came to some sort of tentative conclusion.

I think for my favorite, I'm gonna have to go with Titanic. Which while obvious, it's just such a seminal movie for me and it feels timeless. Honorable mentions: Romeo + Juliet, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, Scream, The Lion King, Clueless, Wonder Woman

For a must watch classic, I was gonna go with The Silence of the Lambs, but that was already clocked. So I'm gonna go with something I think is a classic, but it's probably gone under the radar for some: Minority Report. It's literally, in my opinion, the best science fiction movie ever and is thus must-watch.

For underrated, it's a movie of bunch of us watched recently, but it's literally so, so good and I want everyone to see it: Good Time. Get into your new Batman! I'm also gonna slip in a nod to Josie and the Pussycats since everyone I mention it to hasn't seemed to see it and it's so underrated. Not even critics fully understood that it was satire :rot: 

the taste. please say why you would've said Silence, I wanna know what you think.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Katy said:

the taste. please say why you would've said Silence, I wanna know what you think.

It's honestly a perfect movie: perfect performances, perfect plot, perfect twists. I watched it one day when I was home from school sick, at a time when I was terrified of horror movies, but despite that I was just so captivated by everything and it's stuck with me since :shook:. So many haunting scenes, like when Clarice walks down the hallway to see Hannibal the first time or Buffalo Bill in full drag "I'd fuck me hard" :rot: 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 4:02 PM, Katy said:

Either Heat or Spy because they're hilarious. I love that women can take the lead in comedy/action (okay not Rambo action, but more action than Bridesmaids was) and totally kill it.

Silence of the Lambs. It's a classic. The story is great, the characters are interesting, and it's one of the few movies I will ever say is way better than the book. The entire Hannibal Lecter series is better as movies honestly.

For Richer or Poorer. Literally my favorite movie ever. It may not be "underrated," I don't think anyone was giving Oscar worthy performances and the story wasn't that crazy, but I love it. Drop Dead Gorgeous is another.

The fact that it still feels fresh even in 2019. :shook:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

It's honestly a perfect movie: perfect performances, perfect plot, perfect twists. I watched it one day when I was home from school sick, at a time when I was terrified of horror movies, but despite that I was just so captivated by everything and it's stuck with me since :shook:. So many haunting scenes, like when Clarice walks down the hallway to see Hannibal the first time or Buffalo Bill in full drag "I'd fuck me hard" :rot: 

yussssssssssssssssssss. I watched it when I was like 13 and the garage scene freaked me out so bad. that damn owl and floating head! omg and one time I was watching it when I was visiting my mom, it was the final scene with the night vision goggles where all you really hear is the breathing, and my mom from the kitchen goes, "WHAT are you watching in there?! PORN?!" :ahh:

tumblr_mb8mzcxAuq1qgp4qvo1_r1_500.gif

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Twisted Bliss said:

The fact that it still feels fresh even in 2019. :shook:

 

1 minute ago, Katy said:

yussssssssssssssssssss. I watched it when I was like 13 and the garage scene freaked me out so bad. that damn owl and floating head!

tumblr_mb8mzcxAuq1qgp4qvo1_r1_500.gif

The way it was shot with the eerie close ups, like a nightmare too :shook: 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mariah. said:

 

The way it was shot with the eerie close ups, like a nightmare too :shook: 

Him calmly petting his dog as he repeatedly tells her to put lotion on her skin. :shook:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Twisted Bliss said:

Him calmly petting his dog as he repeatedly tells her to put lotion on her skin. :shook:

That was a classic. That was a classic :shook: 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mariah. said:

That was a classic. That was a classic :shook: 

Period, whew the memories let me watch it tomorrow after work.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mariah. said:

hmmm, if this thread gets 20 replies, then maybe

Image result for oprah gif

Hmm well?

XvkVYwm.gif

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Don Draper said:

Hmm well?

XvkVYwm.gif

Silence of the Lambs better be the first one. "Oh wait, was she a great big fat person?"

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.