Mariah.

Oscars 2020 | Speculation + Discussion | "Joker" Wins Top Prize at Venice

69 posts in this topic

Image result for academy awards graphics

So with fall on the horizon comes Oscar season, bringing a slew of film festivals and prestige blockbusters. I thought to make a thread where we can post and discuss outside of the typical genre fare, the films that might be looking toward Oscar glory. Post your trailers, reviews, predictions, etc.!

Mainly I needed a place to stan Little Women!

Legend Saoirse and my husband Timothee coming to collect AGAIN, we-

I'm kinda sad this isn't premiering at TIFF though since I planned to venture out this year, but my other husband is COMING as well, the movie confirmed to be part of the line up :excited: 

If Robert collects an Oscar just before he plays Batman and rises back to the throne as the King of Hollywood/actor of our generation :shook: 

Ooh, what's also fascinating and exciting is the large amount of buzz around 'JOKER'

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

Ooh, what's also fascinating and exciting is the large amount of buzz around 'JOKER'

Tbh. It looks like a great self-container character study-type movie. I can definitely see it at least get a few nominations.

1 person likes this

Just now, Tamina’s ligaments said:

Tbh. It looks like a great self-container character study-type movie. I can definitely see it at least get a few nominations.

I feel like an actor nom for Joaquin is a definite, especially since the field is usually weak and he already has early momentum. A win will likely depend on what stage in the game the other candidates emerge.

1 person likes this

I still wanna watch 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood', but it doesn't look like I'll be able to drag anyone to the theater, so I'll have to wait for a HQ upload :cooksie: 

3 people like this

1 minute ago, Mariah. said:

I still wanna watch 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood', but it doesn't look like I'll be able to drag anyone to the theater, so I'll have to wait for a HQ upload :cooksie: 

I wanted to catch that too. Interesting to see what they do with the Manson murders and Sharon Tate. Heard a lot of controversy about the film, but Tarantino is no stranger to it anyway.

1 person likes this

I reckon Best Animated will be between Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2. There’s really no escaping Disney then, huh?

2 minutes ago, Tamina’s ligaments said:

I wanted to catch that too. Interesting to see what they do with the Manson murders and Sharon Tate. Heard a lot of controversy about the film, but Tarantino is no stranger to it anyway.

The most I've heard since I've been avoiding spoilers is that Sharon's role is minimal, which is disappointing because I was kinda perched to see Margod play her.

1 minute ago, Mariah. said:

The most I've heard since I've been avoiding spoilers is that Sharon's role is minimal, which is disappointing because I was kinda perched to see Margod play her.

I-. They really made it seem like she had a major part. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Tamina’s ligaments said:

I-. They really made it seem like she had a major part. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :skull: 

1 person likes this

havent seen it yet but blinded by the light looks like a sleeper hit

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Mariah. said:

Mainly I needed a place to stan Little Women!

Legend Saoirse and my husband Timothee coming to collect AGAIN, we-

Watson’s stiff acting killing that film’s chances of a nomination

PWU3y8z.gif

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, Don Draper said:

Watson’s stiff acting killing that film’s chances of a nomination

PWU3y8z.gif

I've heard they cut down her part SIGNIFICANTLY after test screenings lmaoooo

PWU3y8z.gif

It’s crazy to think Awkwafina might get an Oscar nomination. :skull: 

I really hope Joker gets acclaim. It’d be a kii to see DC win another Oscar while everyone will be queefing over Endgame.

1 person likes this

Naomi Scott better get a nomination for Speechless. I didn't pretend like I watched Aladdin for months for nothing 

PWU3y8z.gif

1 person likes this

Early Gold Derby predictions:

• Picture: The Irishman
  • Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio
  •  Actress: Cynthia Erivo
  • Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt
  • Supporting Actress: Annette Bening

VorbYmS.gif

Margot is kinda outclassed here, but that's because Nicole and Charlize are LEGENDS. I bet Charlize gets a second Oscar if she goes in supporting, she looks dead ass like Megyn Kelly. The mannerisms/silent acting :shook: 

2 people like this

A Best Supporting Actor victory for Brad is all but inevitable (and I’d be fine with it), but DiCaprio? Leave the pity votes in 2015 where they belong please x

VorbYmS.gif

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Don Draper said:

Early Gold Derby predictions:

• Picture: The Irishman
  • Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio
  •  Actress: Cynthia Erivo
  • Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt
  • Supporting Actress: Annette Bening

VorbYmS.gif

I watched the first 30 min of Once Upon a Time... and was kinda bored especially since it was low quality bootleg, maybe they do something in the other four hours of run time?

VorbYmS.gif

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

I watched the first 30 min of Once Upon a Time... and was kinda bored especially since it was low quality bootleg, maybe they do something in the other four hours of run time?

VorbYmS.gif

The pace picks up after the first 40 or so minutes, only to plateau with (what I thought was) an anticlimactic ending. Not a bad film, but completely too long. Zodiac teas

VorbYmS.gif 

1 person likes this

the cinematography in this is stunning, it all looks so pretty :shook:. Natalie coming swinging too, as usual the Best Actress race looking like the best one!

Oscar season followers, y'all should check out this channel too that deep dives into different Best Actress years and dissects the winner's campaign/reasons why they likely won. It puts things into a whole new perspective tbh. It's called Be Kind Rewind

1 person likes this

AHHHHHHHHHHH

I hope Timothee sneaks in lead again, Robert already probably gonna be in supporting for The Lighthouse :shook: