Mariah.

Sony vs. Disney: Who Wins and Loses with the Spider-Man/MCU Split?

5 posts in this topic

So as reported earlier this week, Sony decided to take Spider-Man and ditch the Marvel Cinematic Universe (or Disney kicked them to the curb because they wanted more money, depending on who you believe) after not being able to renegotiate the terms of their deal. If you'd like more insight on how this whole thing unfolded and how the old deal worked, this article is very helpful. But anyway, we touched on this a bit in our Discord chat last night, but I was curious to see what everyone else thinks. Given the break up, what do you think the repercussions will be and who do you believe will suffer (or prosper) more as a result?

Image result for spider-man

Whoever has/utilized the X-Men, like we've deserved for a damn near decade now, would be the winner.

Marvel needs him because they have plans to make him one of the faces of The Avengers while Sony only has to get over the hurdle of fan backlash by serving a good film that will make them forget about the MCU version.

I see it more as a Marvel loss since they have plans for him.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Captain Fox said:

Marvel needs him because they have plans to make him one of the faces of The Avengers while Sony only has to get over the hurdle of fan backlash by serving a good film that will make them forget about the MCU version.

I see it more as a Marvel loss since they have plans for him.

I agree. With Far From Home, it's clear that they built a significant chunk of the next phase around him being the face of it. I don't think "the new Iron Man" said throughout was a coincidence. That's what they wanted him to be (it annoys me that they went FULL ON with that and literally made him Iron Man power set wise with all that tech :skull:). The other thing is Black Panther 2 was confirmed to not be coming until 2022, while Captain Marvel 2 has yet to be announced which leads me to believe that won't happen until 2023. Those were speculated to be the other two new faces, filling for Captain America and Thor essentially. So I'd guess they were banking A LOT on Spider-Man carrying this next phase and probably weaving throughout a bunch of the planned films. It might have been why Disney wanted more money.

1 person likes this

Disney basically built the entire last two Avengers plus Far from Home building him as the lead of the new phase. Sony can easily move forward and axe all things MCU but Disney literally has to re write everything. Guess that’s what happens when you try making every movie interject with one another. :stephanie:

2 people like this