Mariah.

The Chemicals Between Us

15 posts in this topic

oOo5rcG.gif THE CHEMICALS BETWEEN US, THE WALLS THAT LIE BETWEEN US
A wide array of boxes act as bricks forming a second set of walls, standing tall around an exhausted Emma De Angelo. Dressed in low-rise, cut off short shorts and a white midriff baring blouse, tied above her belly ring and over her ample breasts, she stares out her large, paneled window, down to the city below. Cars race by in bold patterns, filled with strangers with seemingly no real purpose—nothing to live for beyond their excess. But her purpose for living sat joyously behind her; no care in the world, and lacking the knowledge of how cruel it could be. It was he: Lucas De Angelo, her one true love.

She’d never allow Lucas to see the world for what it truly was, for as long as she could. She was his protector; his provider. But there were times that she longed for help. Someone who loved her five year old and was willing to protect him as much as she was. Someone to help ease the load she felt weighing down on her petite frame, wearing out every bone. Her thoughts cycle briefly to Lucas’ deceased father and his final moments before the chemicals in his system consumed him, an apology for failing her and their son stuttering through a cold, trembling mouth. Every time the memory is replayed, her heart broke into pieces, for she didn’t believe her nor Lucas would find love like that again.

“Lucas, baby, don’t break that please! I need you to quiet down and relax for five minutes; mommy is on the phone,” Emma begs her toddler before returning to speak to her landlord on the other end of the line, her frustration mounting. It had been several days now since the move in, but it appeared that likewise with her losing a babysitter, everything was coming apart at the seams. Her apartment, in particular, was literal. “Listen carefully. Your contractor was supposed to be here a fucking hour ago and I’m paying you too much money for rent to be sitting around waiting. My pipes are broken, my cabinet doors are falling from their hinges, drawers are getting stuck, and that's not even everything wrong with this place. And on top of all the renovations needed: I've barely unpacked, I have a million other errands to run, I have to call my boss to get the weekend off, I’ve missed out on my first week of classes. Please. I don’t need this process to be any harder. If you could just page him again or something. Or just give me his cell number and I'll reach out myself.” She runs her clawed hand through her hair, combing and tugging it back, then waits as the landlord runs through his rehearsed reply. “Okay, fine. I’ll give it twenty more minutes,” she concludes before slapping the flip phone closed and letting a gust of air escape her glossed lips.

Quietly reciting the mantra routinely used to ease her stress, Emma refused to allow the walls to cave in on her. Resilience was her greatest strength, and it was too premature to renounce the new life she had set path toward. “Lucas, what did I—” she begins to scold as she redirects her attention back to her son, soon after interrupted by a knock on her door. “Listen, we'll talk about it later. Go get one of your coloring books and sit still while I answer the door, please and thanks my love.” 

She adjusts her appearance to a palatable state, then finally marches toward the door and turns the lock to slowly open.
MONTY
@Maxim
5 people like this

oOo5rcG.gif I WANT YOU TO SURRENDER; ALL MY FEELINGS ROSE TODAY
Bobby parks his truck and raises his pelvis toward his steering wheel, granting him access to his back pocket for his notepad. Looking up from the address jotted down on an otherwise clean page, he then briefly surveys his surroundings. There wasn’t much to behold of the scenery of his location, Bobby very familiar with the tall brick, glass and cement buildings which made up the downtown Olympia skyline; moreso with what monsters hide behind every corner. But by day, the sun seemed to reflect off the rows of windows, giving the city’s core a more optimistic feel. Like there were actual hopes and dreams to be had in an otherwise cold, corrupt place. He knew better, however, especially after how a night of bliss and passion with an unforgettable woman, quickly unraveled into a reminder of the demons he tried to battle⁠—to escape. And he wasn’t even able to bring himself to risk asking to see her again, regrettably so. A result which drew the relentless shaming from a recovering Andrew, who argued that he passed the ball and took a bullet in the process, only for Bobby to fumble.

Exhaling to air out the smoky memories left behind from that fiery night, he next exits the vehicle and unloads his tools from the back to throw himself into his day’s work. He trots up slightly and has to take a minute or two to find his access key upon arriving at the apartment entrance, then marches toward the elevator and pushes down on the given floor. The journey up provides a moment to reminisce once more on the night he found an “angel”. The curves and flow of her body. The taste of her supple lips. The slickness of her tongue. The way she’d tremble as he’d suck markings on her skin. The point of her breasts imprinting on his tongue. The lasting, rich sweetness of her center. Jesus fucking Christ, Bobby, can you stop? It’ll never happen again. It’s over; she’s out of your life. It’s time to focus on work. He sighs once more and narrows down to the door he’s looking for, finally arriving and giving it a knock. With his head still peering down at the paper, ensuring he’s got the correct set of numbers, the lock turns open.

“Um, good afternoon, Ms…. De Angelo? Uh, plumber here answering that service call you-” he cuts himself off as he find himself eye-to-eye with the face that’s plagued his mind for the last eight nights. He hasn’t seen or heard even a peep from the unmistakably ravishing girl he’d found himself engaged with at the club that night. A part of him was willing to shoulder that blame, as he himself had become almost overwhelmingly swamped with more jobs and other insidiously vital shit he’d had going on since that time. The other, very obscure part of him just happened to be a teeny bit disappointed that she likely hadn’t made to seek him out in any way, especially given the implicit, but surely palpable desire they’d shared between them that night. He’d begun to deduce, after some time, that perhaps that had been her way of letting him off easily⁠—to possibly establish that both of their priorities were dissimilar; that, realistically, he was nothing more beyond a regular mark that had ended up swept up in Emma’s routine finesse and lined her pockets with a few extra chunks of cash. Still yet, he can’t help but break into a pink smile⁠—lips parted—at the vision of her. Nothing about her had changed; not that it would or even could. She remained an incomparable sight that he couldn't even fucking bear. “-made. I’m sorry, Ms. De Angelo? It just hadn’t dawned on me that you was a repeat customer,” he sniggers and scratches the back of his head, quick to quip. His blue eyes fixate before him and his jawline flexes, projecting his patent allure, then he continues. “But I’m happy to be of service again. Uh, wanna invite me in and show me where you need help?”
MONTY
@Mariah.
5 people like this

Frozen in frame, Emma trips over her dry tongue trying to greet the contractor, having come to realize it was... him. But there he stood. Tall, with his incredibly chiseled physique, like a picturesque mountain to climb. A smile smooth and sweet as melted caramel, drizzling itself all over the increasing warmth of Emma's golden skin. Piercing eyes both comforting and dangerous. Like a stream of lightning, it's only seconds before she's caught with him and her memories of their tryst again, his hypnosis and ability to blanket her mind, body and spirit still bewildering beyond measure. She still can't speak, nor did she know if she should. But her body language and silent expression were already doing the talking. Although she didn't really plan to ever reach out, she longed to see him again; to be with him again. Their moment together was far too quick and fleeting. Yet still, nothing since arriving in Olympia felt as good. Rather nothing since the passing of her first love or, truthfully, ever. It was an intimacy a long time coming. But one she was uncertain of whether or not she should pursue; not solely because of her emotional barrier, but due to the dark cloud that appeared to loom behind him, proven wide cast by the battlefield that became of the club their night together. Like a knight, however, his bravery, valiance and desire to protect her—shown in that moment—made his pull impossible to escape. He was a bad boy with a good heart, and such a man was her weakness.

Her heart slams against the cage it’s locked behind, when finally she says his name. "Bobby? I—" her voice falls out from beneath her once more, forcing her body to cascade into the depths of him and his every trait. He was so irresistible. "Um, hey. I wasn't expecting... well I was expecting someone to come fix my pipes, but not—"

"Mommy!" Lucas intrudes, latching onto Emma's leg like a baby bear. "Who's that? You said Bobby like my friend Bobby?"

Emma's cheeks flushed a balmy peach tone in mild embarrassment before her child, when she'd try to form a clear answer as though she was under interrogation. It isn't that serious. He’s a child—your child. Just tell him it's the plumber. "Um, that's what it says on his name... shit, no name tag,” she mistakenly remarks out loud. “Yes, sweetheart, like your friend Bobby. Except he... he's mommy's... friend? And the plumber, apparently. Also please promise mommy you'll never, ever repeat that bad ‘sh’ word. Okay?" She looks back up to face Bobby, her breath having grown thick. “This is pretty awkward.”
MONTY
@Maxim
5 people like this

Standing in the doorway of a familiar stranger, mouth agape, Bobby tries to drink in the entire scene in front of him. Having to thread through so many different elements at once, making sense of it all, he almost had to wonder if this was some kind of deliberate set-up. The very thought, in spite of its absurdity, incited a wave of emotion that washed over him as he took the time to assess the scene in front of him. One of them: pure shock, as Bobby found himself face-to-face with the figure that he had begun to taper off as a blissful memory, after enough time had elapsed with no form of contact between the two of them whatsoever—mild irritation at the aforementioned, Bobby considering that, perhaps, she’d never intended to reconnect with him at all after that one fateful night at the club. It’s the minute, but pertinent, feeling of elation that put him at odds with himself—a feeling that, perhaps, with this reconnection, they could in fact pick up where their scintillating whirlwind encounter left them that evening. Against the nagging voice at the back of his mind, he was kind of ecstatic to be able to just see Emma again; to thread his fingers once more through her soft and lush-looking blonde hair, to purposefully caress the silk exterior of her abnormally smooth skin, to feel the rigid indent in her back to where her modest ass begins to curve and take its shape, to put his mouth to her body and indulge in the succulence of the fine, rare fruit which she bore both high and low. Unwittingly, he’d begun to lose himself in his thoughts of bliss and debauchery, all before it all became outweighed by a crippling feeling of frank shock and bewilderment.

Bobby can recall the night in its entirety mostly. He and Emma had spent nearly the entire night engaged in shallow, then deep, conversation, before they came to a point where there wasn’t much room for talk at all. But not once had there ever been any acknowledgement of a child at any time, if memory serves correct. His chagrin having evolved through rekindled concupiscence, then through surprise, finally falls to captivation toward the young mother and her adorable offspring. Her big secret, so to speak, only proved to rope him in further despite his frustration. This, however, only meant that he had pages upon pages of questions to be answered, on top of the one which drilled at his brain: why did she lead him on, only to not really want him?

Kneeling down before the little boy to level their heights, he attempts to make pleasantries, with a smirk and a wink to express how instantly he was taken by the child’s charms. “Yo, hey little buddy,” he’d greet. “You must be the man of the house, yeah? Ya mind if I come in and take a look at those broken pipes for you and mommy? I doubt I’m as cool as the Bobby you're already friends with, but I bet you’d be pretty impressed by what I can do with a couple of these tools in my box. I can even show you how some of them work; I’ll make you my special helper. Uh, if that’s alright with mommy of course.” Still knelt down on one bent knee, with his forearm rested on the other knee, he looks up to the stunning Emma for her simple approval. A one word yes, if nothing else.
MONTY
@Mariah.
4 people like this

The tableau image was haunting and intimidating to one Emma De Angelo, even though it realistically served little to no meaning. Bobby—who she had taken to, far too fast for her liking—down before her on a single bended knee, looking to her with his soothing eyes for an answer. A pose so specific in its symbolism, she couldn't help but fall to pieces. And to herself at least, that simple 'yes' in this instance implicitly held the same meaning as the one her wildest thought would call upon; that in saying 'yes' to allowing him through her doors, to interact with her son, to continue on getting to know the truth about her beyond the smoky haze of that night... she'd perhaps be saying yes to more than what she was prepared for. That she may be saying yes to allowing him into her life; into her heart. But she couldn't refuse or resist him, and her hospital conversation with Bobby's best friend Andrew made her wonder if she should just allow herself to give in.

"Yeah, I, uh, guess that's fine. As long as it's—you know—safe..." the protective, guarded mother bear immediately questions, taking her typical cautionary measures before changing her mind. "But you really don't have to. I was just about to give him something to eat, anyway, so we shouldn't be in your way. Um, you can come in though. I'll show you where needs to be fixed,” she adds as she leans forward, trying to avoid further eye contact with her infectious former lover, and grabs her son to hoist onto her left hip.

Leading Bobby through the apartment, to the kitchen area, she rests little Lucas atop the counter as the child pulls her face in and lays a long kiss upon her cheek to settle her down, having sensed his mother's butterflies in the presence of this new man. Lucas then crawls across the island, and finds himself a seat above where Bobby began to set up. "My name is Lucas, by the way, Mister Bobby. How do I help?" he boldly inquires, as Emma puts her hand to her forehead, then runs it through her locks.
MONTY
@Maxim
3 people like this

Watching Emma’s exasperation only managed to endear Bobby a bit, so he releases a chuckle and settles on having some fun with it. Standing up at full height to meet Lucas’ gaze head on, he musters up as serious a look as he could in this situation. “Actually, I’m glad you mentioned it, buddy. I heard that there was a lot of work to be done here today, and I don’t think there’s any way I could do this all on my own.” He makes a gesture to ruffle his hair a bit, but decided against it out of fear that it may come across a bit condescending. Lucas may be but a toddler, but just gauging his demeanor and personality in the short space of time was enough to prompt Bobby of his intuity and acute perception. He could see that the kid was pretty sharp for his age.

“It’s a pretty big job, though. You’ve gotta promise me you’re strong enough to handle it." He’d turn to fix the toddler with a gaze that lacked any real heat, but was believably stern enough to sell his ruse. It was only when he saw the kid return a look with just as much conviction, nodding his head vigorously, and perhaps some semblance of his little chest being puffed (if Bobby’s eyes weren’t deceiving him), he knew that he’d fallen in love with the little squirt already. Connecting his pinky with the toddler’s significantly smaller one ended up holding more weight to it than just a vague gesture of affirmation. To Bobby, it was a progressive step in the best direction possible; that even though there was a mountain of grey area between both of the adults present… lots of questions unanswered. Even if thoughts of something fruitful between the two was nothing short of a pipe dream on Bobby’s end, he knew he’d attained a small victory in that moment—seemingly receiving the tiniest stamp of approval from what seemed to be Emma’s entire world, by Bobby’s observation.
MONTY
@Mariah.
3 people like this

Sweeping her long bangs away from her eyes to get a more focused view, Emma is moved by the scene in projection before her. The charming, touching interaction between Bobby and Lucas—and what seems to be a bond as instant as her own with the former—made her feel as though she was slowly being sent over the edge of a titanic waterfall, to rapidly plummet to its depths whether she was ready to or not. The summit was harrowing, having never fallen in love from quite that high. And while not love yet, with each passing moment in her suitor's presence, the smitten feeling grew in potency. This is why she was terrified; uncertain over if he, Bobby, would be willing or able to catch her when she'd descend to the bottom. Above all else, did she trust him enough to want to resist gravity's unrelenting pull into his grasp? It seemed she barely even knew him beyond a mysterious, checkered past, hidden within a seductive, insanely attractive encasing. More specifically, she only knew his shallow details: from Boston, only child, been on his own since 18... Oh yes, he did also mention he was a "handyman"—though he failed to specify how... deft he truthfully was, as she came to find out only minutes later that indelible night. But for all the quizzing she'd done to this point with his best friend, perhaps the only way to know what was locked within his sturdy, muscular exterior was if she carved through to him herself. Luckily, the love of her life was giving her an advantage, with how effortlessly he was able to unveil this new side to the breathtaking bad boy.

"Of course I can, Mister Bobby!" little Lucas, the aforementioned love, argues in reply to the playful doubt Bobby set forth. Flexing his tiny arms and growling, he calls upon further attention. "I'm super strong! See, look!"

"Okay, easy there, my love. You don't wanna make Bobby jealous," Emma timidly teases as she walks around the counter and lifts Lucas to position him properly once more. Looking to redirect her attention to Bobby, the unexpected and sudden closeness of their bodies cause them massage past each other as she turns into him. Sucking the inside of her lip, she remains preaching caution. "He seems to be more excited and antsy than I've seen him in forever, so please be careful with him. He's fragile..."

Her message delivered, she realizes the deeper meaning to her words, planted subconsciously—that it wasn't just Lucas she was warning Bobby to be careful with...
MONTY
@Maxim
3 people like this

Of course the last thing Emma said hit Bobby differently, albeit without him knowing how to decode it; not knowing if there was even anything to decode at all. But there was something about tone—just a splash or a twinkle of a foretoken… maybe something promising. Or perhaps it was a just a splash of his own wild imagination. Because as much as he’d like to believe whatever extemporaneous sensation was shared between the two of them just a few short weeks prior, he was just as privy to the fact that an indeterminable stumbling block had forced a shallow divide between them and that only time would allow them to overcome that inexplicable hurdle—time he wasn’t sure he’d even be afforded. Nonetheless, he felt this opportunity presented itself as a means of breaking new ground and, with hope, tying up more than a few loose ends (literally and figuratively). Shaking himself free of his own little vicious cycle, he turned his attention back to what he could only assume was Emma’s entire world; the very extension of her. In Bobby’s mind, it was an entirely separate mystery that needed perspective just as well.

“Whoa!” Bobby exclaims in jest. “You got some serious power going on there,'' he says while gently squeezing the toddler’s noodle arm, “I think you’re more than equipped to handle this job with me.” The immediate swell of pride he’d felt at the kid’s excitement made him consider himself and his thoughts about children of his own. He’d probably never seriously put much thought into it being a viable option for him. Even disregarding the lack of financial security and emotional immaturity, given his still very tender age, the biggest deal breaker is knowing that he doesn’t have the kind of structure in his life, at that moment, to offer a healthy, constructive, feasible environment for a growing impressionable child. Bobby describes himself as a man with many ‘trades’, seeking a means for a profit in just about any avenue and being able to adapt to any environment. There are times when some of those trades can lead him to roads that are… less than ethical. Watching his own back is like nothing to him. It’s second nature. He can move how he pleases. There isn’t a single person tying him to this life, besides his ma (and in spite of the fact that he hasn’t reached out to her in quite a bit of time, he has eyes that always assure him of her safety and well-being), or anyone that would make him second-guess any pursuit he endeavors. A child just wouldn’t fit well into that mix, and Bobby particularly care enough to test the accuracy of that theory. But he doesn't hate kids, and young little Lucas is assessing him with just enough fondness to make Bobby understand just how dangerous influence can be.

“Okay, so first I’ve gotta find out just what we’re up against today. What’s the damage here?” he asks, regarding Emma directly for perhaps the first time since she’d opened that door on him not fifteen minutes earlier.

“Or should I really be consulting the man of the house?” he smirks with a head tilt in the direction of young Lucas.
MONTY
@Mariah.
2 people like this

"Ah!" Emma immediately interjects, laughing under her soft breath and pulling Lucas' head against her chest. "I wouldn't say that out loud. We don't need the title getting to his already big head."

"My head isn't big!" Lucas asserts as he'd rest comfortably, garnering a grin and eye roll from his doting mother. As the interplay between herself and the two people she was uniquely—but prodigiously—fond of carried on, Emma couldn't resist being brought back into her reverie regarding her long lost desire to have a man to complete her two-person family. Part of her felt greedy for her wish; with Lucas, she thought to be spoiled and blessed with the greatest gift one could receive. But, still, she wanted Bobby too, moreso as the three spent this time together. They all just seemed to fit to each other like a puzzle.

Drawing his head back, Lucas curiously places his tiny palms to Emma's breast where he'd heard her heart thump like a rabbit. Responding with haste, Emma takes hold of his hand, makes a funny face and kisses it, before wrapping it in her own to assure him of her serenity, so not to expose her anxiety to their company.

"Ummm, but to answer your question, I really have no frickin' clue what's been going on," she titters whilst combing her hair back. "All I know is, like I told the landlord, rent is way too high for it to be hell in here already. The best way I can explain it is the water won't go down the drain, and it's basically been raining under the sink when I try to turn on the faucet. Which is weird because I haven't even had the time to use it yet; it's been take out since we've got here. I'm also having the same problem in the bathroom with both the sink and toilet. I've tried plunging it, but... nothing. I don't know if you'll be able to fix it all in one day, but whatever you manage, I'd be super grateful."

Her pulse increases in vigor as she moves toward the wall of ice separating the pair of them, still waiting to be broken down, completely. "I hope you've been doing well since the last time saw each other, by the way. You know, when... the incident happened."
MONTY
@Maxim
3 people like this

Of course, the ghost of their first meeting had loomed in the air from the very moment Emma opened up her home and allowed Bobby entryway, but it was almost as if actually verbalizing anything regarding their ill-fated encounter had pulled something of a trigger within him. The endearing domestic atmosphere had almost instantly soured, and as much as Bobby would’ve liked to mask the blunt shift in his mood, he realized that he honestly didn’t quite care enough to. He didn’t necessarily owe anything to her. He’d been the one scorned and embarrassed, if anything. And for her to just casually allude to that night with nonchalant arrogance left an unsavory taste in Bobby’s mouth. Whatever barrier had begun to melt between the two of them was hastily reconstructed and bound together tight by the sturdiest mortar.

Well, what can I say?” he started as he’d turned his left shoulder to her, busy preoccupying himself with his slightly antiquated, yet always unfailing set of tools. “Tried to keep my head down a bit. Nose clean and all that. Otherwise, can’t really say I’ve had much complaints. Two weeks with no call or page kinda just flutters by pretty quickly, y’know?” He wasn’t sure if he was expecting a response, but he hadn’t stuck around waiting for one, as he grabbed his essentials and made his way to a necessary checkpoint. “Let's see what we've got goin' on in the bathroom. I'll knock out that doubleheada first.”
MONTY
@Mariah.
2 people like this

Emma’s sea of thoughts crash against the walls of her skull like a violent tidal wave onto the shore, overflowing from their depths amidst the storm brought on. Thanks to a fellow siren, she’d been made cognizant of Bobby’s charming attempts to reach out to her. Though, with his contact information having been coveted by another very interested and eager dancer, the option to acquiesce his efforts wasn’t one afforded to the doe-eyed blonde. Moreover, her initial reluctance over pursuing the roguish, exceptionally sexy man was what prevented her from confronting the buxom Bobby bandit. But Bobby’s noticeable change in tone and demeanor was bewildering; it was though he’d been deeply offended, disappointed, or possibly even hurt. It’s then it dawns on her that she may have been blinded, be it by her own misjudgement or by whatever guard the love interest may have been keeping firm. He was more than his projection of a pretty playboy with a seemingly dark past; something his best friend Andrew had already alluded to through his preachings, beseeching the single mother to give the man a chance. And in her short time spent with Bobby, perhaps—without warning—he was hit as hard by his crush on Emma as she found herself to have been struck.

So what now? If she were to explain herself and put forth an apology, such a choice would only serve to say that she wants his forgiveness. And why would she desire his forgiveness unless she planned to see him again? Why would she want his forgiveness if she didn’t ultimately want him? It’s suddenly she realizes that, affirmatively, she did want him. Mercilessly. She tried her damnedest, but she couldn’t resist him. Therefore, she at least wanted to try with him—not just for herself, but for her young son who needed an older man like him in his life, even if for a short while. What once seemed dangerous, now seemed safe. Where she once saw closeted skeletons which scared her, she now saw perhaps a home which Bobby wouldn’t allow the skeletons to enter. But before she raced ahead of herself and got herself tangled in her hopeless romanticism, she returned her thoughts to the present, here and now.

Having led the way to the bathroom, Emma steps to the side to lean against the door frame, allowing Bobby to pass by, through it. As he removes his flannel to reveal a skin tight white tank top, melded to his copious muscles, her eyes follow his brawny, perfectly structured back while it lowers adjacent to the sink pipes where he begins his hard work. Lucas follows into the bathroom next, and sits cross legged by Bobby’s side, listening carefully to the tools he was being taught and handing them off upon request. “Um,” Emma nervously interrupts, scratching the roots of her tousled locks. “About me blowing you off: that really wasn’t my intention. Well, it kinda was at first, but… this may make me sound like such a loser or I might be getting way ahead of myself here, but when what happened at the club… happened. It all just fuck—freaking terrified me. For one, you’re by far the sexiest guy I’ve ever met. And you have this way of making me feel like a nervous little school girl when that’s not me at all. Men don’t make me nervous. Then I thought about how the night ended with the brawl turned shoot out and your friend getting shot, and while I tried to play it off like I’ve seen crazier happen, I couldn’t help but be skeptical, you know? Not just of who you are but of what your intentions may be and troubles you might bring with you. And, if it wasn’t clear before, I can't really take any risks since, well… I have a son.”

“What are you talking about, mommy?” the son in question would inquire, while biting against the skin of his bottom lip and looking high up at Emma, who still stood perched by the bathroom door.
MONTY
@Maxim
2 people like this

Bobby had something of a morbid thought of him being glad that their small party had relocated to the bathroom versus the kitchen, away from anything flammable, because he was fairly positive that he’d seen just a few sparks fly from his brain short circuiting, trying to soak in what was being relayed to him. Of course he’d been slightly peeved at having, in his mind, been ghosted on and dusted away for the past two weeks, but he hadn’t at all considered how Emma might’ve possibly perceived the events of that hair-raising night; what it probably took her to unpack everything over those two weeks. The brash and brassy young bachelor was fully aware of what he himself had felt that night—the rush of a thrill he’d begun to seek, a staggering sense of enchantment, and an irrational eagerness to dive head first into waters of unknown depth. What he’d felt at that moment that night was an overwhelming desire and a willingness to pursue something new. He knew that he’d felt a feverish attraction to the petite blonde at that moment—does in this very moment, as well—but it was only after Emma’s… bold declaration that Bobby was prompted to assess their situation a bit more assiduously.

Her reservations over him were understandable. While he’d yet to reveal to her the corroded brick of the road he’s traveled, it was easily visible to both familiars and strangers that riding alongside him would prove turbulent. It’s why, for his entire life, he’s forced himself to ride alone. And until he’d met Emma, his choice left him content. But that was until he met Emma. Since that fated night, her haunting reflection hadn’t left his rear view mirror. It was simple to point toward their attraction being solely that of lust, but of the crumbs she shared with him that was an anecdote of her past, he was helpless against feeling like she just might be perfect for his passenger seat—perfect for him. He felt as if he understood her; as if he saw her beyond skin deep. And by her apt reading of him and her wise choice to hold back from pursuing him, it was clear she saw him, as well. At least a significant side to him… at least so he thought. It’s Lucas that makes him look deeper within himself, as it’s in Lucas that he recognizes himself as a young boy who lost his father; his only hero. His entire adolescence and young adulthood to follow had been spent trying to fill that hole, with sex, with anger, with violence—none of it has paid reparations for the damage done. Now, faced with Emma’s actions and words, he begins to believe strongly in the possibility that she and the beautiful child she’d given life to, could do it. His frustration over being left cold by Emma, as it turns out, wasn’t just about being blown off by a beautiful woman. It was about potentially missing the opportunity to know her and allow her to change his life.

Bobby released a deep, heavy sigh after. Perhaps he’d approached the situation a bit irrationally, and he was sure he’d put the seemingly reserved blonde beauty in somewhat of an uncomfortable spot. “Look, forgive me. I definitely came atcha the wrong way. In my mind, it’d just seemed like there were some blanks between us that weren’t being appropriately filled in, and I wanted things to be straight between us. But I kinda made a bit of an ass of myself in the process. And you deserve an explanation for how things went down that ni--... wait, wait, wait. Bobby had smoothly re-positioned himself, so that he was leaning against the meager sink, arm folded under and acting a support for his chin, accosting Emma directly with a slinky half-grin splashed across his face.

“Run it back about me being the sexiest guy you’ve ever met.”
MONTY
@Mariah.
2 people like this

“Oh my God, I’m such a dork!” an embarrassed Emma laughs as she hurls her head back, the contours of her face coloring red over her creamy skin. She returns to look deep into the ocean blue of Bobby’s eyes, then flips her hair as she briefly contemplates her bold next move. She had sacrificed the opportunity to explore what was blossoming between herself and the charming bachelor once already, but his forgiveness and understanding yielded a second chance; a blank page to be written upon. And this time, she wouldn’t leave it without ink. She was setting free all her inhibitions, as she knew to be a typical trait of hers up to this point. She was plunging down into him, this time by her own free will, allowing herself to let her heart be her guide as opposed to her scattered, ruined mind. As Lucas walks over to her and wraps his arms around her legs in a comforting embrace, she swallows the fluid on her tongue to drown the butterflies residing within the pit of her stomach.

“I’ll tell you what,” she starts, her voice soft as butter, “Maybe we can talk about that in more detail when we have more time and less errands to deal with. You can tell me more about yourself and your unique history, too. Like, over dinner? Or like a movie or something… whatever you’re into; I’m not that picky and don’t usually find myself on this side of the mating ritual.” Emma's excited nerves cause her to flinch slightly as Bobby springs back to his feet to stand tall over her, Bobby casting a slight shadow which almost cools and refreshes her from her body heat—she could stand here, with just him and Lucas, forever. “I think I know someone who would be willing to watch this little guy for the night, and then I’m all yours. What do you say?”
MONTY
@Maxim
3 people like this

“Yeah,” Bobby murmured, pressing one hand against the door frame to support his muscular body. He wanted to play it cool, but while presented with the empyrean Emma and her vulnerability, he felt he could undress himself from his armor and, too, bear his naked form. There would be no more hiding—not from her. Once a lonely road, could now be shared, pending he didn’t lose control of the wheel. But combing through her sweet, honey tinted eyes, which poured over his bronze skin, he felt not a semblance of fear or pessimism.Yeah, totally. That’d be really awesome,” he’d finish through his trance. Then, for a moment, he unabashedly basked beneath her radiance—his lips repelling as their corners formed a small curl—before returning to the current affairs.

“And speaking of lil’ dude: I think I figured out what’s been going on with these ancient pipes.” Bobby collapsed back to one knee, directing Emma’s attention to the removed tubes before his explanation. “I’m guessing he’s a real big fan of Play-Doh...” he’d chuckle as he scraped a large ball of the modeling clay from out the drain, meanwhile Lucas looked at the crime scene and his annoyed mother anxiously. “But you shouldn’t be too mad at him. I was a little rascal once, too, and thankfully this is nothing that can’t be easily dealt with, unlike the crap I got up to. Though I’ve noticed that a lot of things in this place could use a good tune up. Maybe some new pipes altogether, throw some paint on these walls, give ya new baseboards and cupboards... I can run up all the supplies and bang it out in a month tops.” The private contractor would feign running down calculations in his head, before pulling out a notepad and clicking his pen. “The most it’ll cost ya is... dessert after our dinner, your treat? And I mean real dessert, in case your mind was in the gutta. I’m big on ice cream sundaes.”
MONTY
@Mariah.
2 people like this

“Fair enough. I can take care of dessert,” the coquettish Emma simpers, playing back to Bobby’s teasing. “I mean, it is the new millennium, afterall, so a woman treating a man to something seems appropriate. Very modern.”

“Can I get dessert too, Bobby?” interjects Lucas, who’s comfort around the new male had grown larger than anticipated, in the brief moments they spent together. For now, the promise of finally completing the unique De Angelo family portrait felt both worthy of holding on to and as natural as possible. But at the present moment, she was foremost happy to consider Bobby a friend and a special part of her—to this point—unruly life. His arrival, it seemed, was serendipitous.

“Mhm. Well first of all,” Emma interrupts back. “It isn’t dessert time yet. And after what you did to the pipes, mommy will have to think about it. Your new friend doesn’t get a say on this matter.” She smirks over at Bobby, before delivering a simple phrase that held more sentimentality than her object of attraction could possibly know. “But yes. As for the two of us, I’m really, really looking forward.”

Their smiles match from across the intimate space they shared, melding into one as their magnetic attraction no longer faced resistance on their part. For what laid ahead, there was no possible way to prepare. But Emma no longer cared. No matter how premature, something beyond comprehension was asserting to her that this was it; this is what she'd been looking for.  And the speed at which the pair of them were colliding only served as a reaffirmation. Their presence with one another only ignited passion and a furious fire—a chemical reaction, beyond scientific explanation.

While the rest of the day's hours forced them to part ways, Bobby's ocean blue eyes and the mystery of the abyss beneath them never left her mind.

FIN.
MONTY
@Maxim
3 people like this