7 posts in this topic

oOo5rcG.gif I need an easy friend, I do, with an ear to lend
January had been Sebastian's favorite time of year for quite a while now. For many of the wandering souls in Olympia, it meant the start of a new chapter in one's life, where many a choice could be made to offset the rigid path of fate. It was a time for celebration. A time for hope. A time for change. It brought promises that no one really knew how to keep, and wishes that seemed to manifest into nothing but wistful thinking. It was both fulfilling and disappointing, safe yet dangerous. Perfect for completely new beginnings, even when the chances of disappointment were high. Being the last month left on Sebastian's almost crippling debt to a certain criminal, the reluctant heist driver chose to look at this chaotic time with an almost foolish optimism, hopeful that this would be the end to all his problems. Maybe, just maybe, life could work in his favor for once. Maybe he'd be able to get a job, or possibly go back to school soon. The possibilities were endless, and that made him smile. But for now, he had to worry about getting there, and that meant paying someone back for mistakes he didn't make.

Putting out his dwindling cigarette, Sebastian takes in a deep breath before getting in his old car, throwing his cut of the job under the backseat before pulling out of the lonely meeting spot. "This shit's almost over Seb. Soon it'll just be you and you alone." Taking an old tape out from his dash, he feeds it into the player, drumming along to the opening song in silence. Staring off into the outskirts of Olympia, he drives along the barren California roads, fantasizing about his future and what was next. If everything went as planned, he could maybe even leave one night and just find that new beginning he so desperately craved. There wasn't much that was keeping him here anyway; just his mother and the memory of his aunt. Frowning as the sensitive subject crosses his mind, he tries to shake it off by paying more attention to the road and its nothingness, only to find himself noticing another vehicle coming up. Slowing down, he sees that it's broken down on the side of the road, its driver clearly frustrated and unsure of what to do. Checking the time on his watch, Sebastian decides to pull to the side and try and help; chances were he knew what was happening and could be of use. Rolling down his window, he drives by the car and comes to a gradual halt, shooting the stranger a friendly smile before speaking. Talking to anybody this late at night was bound to be interesting, so Sebastian could only hope that they would accept his help. "Need a hand? Shouldn't be out here on your own this late."
MONTY
@Rainbow Heart
3 people like this

oOo5rcG.gif I DO, HOPE, Y OU HAVE THE TIME

Aurora presses her forehead against the steering wheel of her car, her fingers gripping it so tightly her knuckles turn white. The brunette could not believe her own bad luck. Her car had stopped just on the outskirts of her intended destination. Olympia, California. The place where her missing brother now allegedly resided. Letting out a harsh breath she didn't realise she was holding, the girl's anger and frustration were quickly replaced with pure exhaustion. The last few days had been particularly hard on Aurora and all she wanted right now was a soft bed and her brother, both of which were beginning to look like a fantasy way out of her current reach. Relaxing her hands she let her whole body fall back against the padded seat of the now stationary automobile. "This is so just not my day" Aurora groans, before finally opening her eyes to survey her surroundings. As far as she could see, she was in the middle of absolute nowhere. The only landmarks she could make out in the now faded light were the same looking wine villas and scattered trees that she had been driving past for at least the last hour. Everything was calm and without her radio it was also uncomfortably silent. Taking a moment to gather her thoughts, the brunette would then twist suddenly, reaching over into the backseat of the car. She grabbed her emergency tool kit and a small torch from the backseat and turned to place them in her lap. She took in a small shaky breath and made a mental note to thank her Dad for his insistence on bringing along such tools before opening the door and stepping out of the vehicle.

Making her way to the hood of her car Aurora turns on the flashlight. Doing a quick once over of the car she can see that it at least isn't smoking, which is somewhat comforting. Opening the hood the brunette peers in and sees ... an engine. A plain old stock standard engine. Furrowing her brow, Aurora stares deeper at the hood but she can't seem to spot any obvious problems. It all just looks the same to her, a few metal parts here and there with some pipes and an engine. Letting out a sigh she rests her hands on the edge of the hood. It's at times like this she really wished she had been paying attention whenever any of her various dates started talking about their cars in front of her. Snapping herself out of her own thoughts she notices a new vehicle slowly pulling up beside her. Turning, the brown eyed girl would notice a young looking man behind the wheel offering her help. Aurora contemplates her answer for a moment, on one hand, this man was a complete stranger and could probably do any sort of nefarious thing against her, on the other without his help she'd probably be stuck here all night and lose even more potential time to find her brother. Breathing in deeply Aurora turns back to the mysterious new stranger, "umm sure. I guess. If it's not any trouble that is. I wouldn't want to disrupt your day or anything like that" She rambles nervously.

MONTY
3 people like this

"No worries. Lemme pull off to the side and I'll take a look." Sebastian offers, noticing the shaky demeanor of the stranded young woman. He couldn't really make out her face, but he sensed some apprehension on her part, which was very understandable; were he in her shoes, he'd be a little cautious as well. Parking just a few feet in front of her car, he reaches into his glove-box for a flashlight, stepping out into the chilly night with an upbeat energy to ease the tension. Meeting her eyes with a friendly gaze, he flashes his pearly whites in her direction before speaking. "The name's Sebastian." He begins, unsure of how to make conversation with someone he just found stuck on the side of the road. Getting a better look at her under the light of the moon, he has to fight the urge to gawk at the stunning brunette that stood in front of him, watching his every move with cautious eyes.  Despite the nerves, a cool aura seemed to surround her, only helped by her sleek bangs and sharp features. If she was frustrated or in distress, she hid it well. Glancing over her shoulder so as not to embarrass himself, he raises his eyebrows curiously at the hood of the car. "Um, may I? I promise I won't break anything." He manages to ask, a small but noticeable silence preceding his pretty dumb question.
MONTY
@Rainbow Heart
3 people like this

"Um, sure" Aurora nodded, while biting the side of her lip to hold back a giggle at the man's awkwardness. "I'm pretty sure I already agreed to that part when I accepted your offer for help" She continues, as she steps slightly to the side to allow the man she now knows as Sebastian easier access to the vehicle. She watches intently as he begins to examine the car, her eyes scanning over his features that were now illuminated under the pale moonlight. His masculine features appeared almost soft in this light as he remained focused on her engine, his shirt riding up slightly to reveal a small semblance of a toned stomach. He reminded her of some of the guys she used to go for in high school, though the innocence of boyhood no longer seemed to linger on Sebastian. Aurora was never quite sure what it was about the moon but she always kind of thought things looked better under its light rather than that of the sun. It gave the world a kind of clarity that could be both scary and yet beautiful. A Paradox she was now facing with the man in front of her. He had been nothing but helpful to her at this point, but that didn't change the fact that he was a complete stranger. However she couldn't help but shake the feeling that he was trustworthy somehow. Maybe it was just an instinct or maybe it was just the moon and her growing weariness that blinded her to something darker possibly lurking underneath. Either way, at this moment she needed him and playing ball was necessary.

"My name's Aurora, by the way." she states breaking the silence that had fallen. "I figure it's only fair you know that since, well, you told me yours and all" she keeps going, trying to keep a friendly tone to her words.

MONTY
@Queen of Hens
3 people like this

"Nice meeting you, Aurora. Wish it could've been under better circumstances." Sebastian playfully replies, a slight smirk forming on his lips as he worked. She seemed willing to accept his help now, which was a major relief to the makeshift mechanic. Turning on the flashlight in his hands, he shines it onto the engine with purpose, looking to see what might've stalled the vehicle. Over time, he had found that checking the spark plugs always seemed to be a good first step for sudden and inconvenient car problems. Finding the plug covers with ease, he turns towards Aurora for a moment, raising an eyebrow curiously. "Got any tools on ya? If not, I got some stuff that might work in the trunk of my car." He asks, appreciative when she nods in return and presents him with a metal box containing an assortment of instruments. Scouring the tools for a socket wrench, he tries to make conversation, not being a huge fan of silence, especially so late at night. "Not to be nosy, but what are you doing out here so late?." He starts, finding the wrench and returning to the task at hand. Slowly working the cover off of the first plug with his hand, he continues. "It can get pretty shady out here, despite the appearances. Can get you into some real trouble if you're not careful."  Finishing his statement with a slight chuckle, he shakes his head at his poorly thought-out comments. "Sorry, bad joke when we're out in the middle of nowhere."
MONTY
@Rainbow Heart
3 people like this

Aurora feels herself tense a bit as Sebastian delivers his attempt at a joke. He likely wasn't serious but the truth was he was playing on a very real fear that she found herself trying to conquer. Biting her lip she stares at the man trying to think of how she wanted to answer his question. While normally she would prefer honesty, in this situation that would mean admitting that nobody was waiting for her in Olympia, meaning if something was to happen nobody would actively know she was missing. A fact that made her a very easy target. Thinking quickly she responds, "Actually I am on the way to visit my brother. He, moved out to Olympia a while ago so I thought now that I had some time I would come visit" she blurts out. "He's honestly probably freaking out a little bit wondering where I am" she continues, impressed with how casual and realistic her quick little lie sounds.

Not wanting her words to just sit around in the open for too long, the brunette moves herself around to the side of the hood. A tactic employed to both have a better view upon Sebastian and so if things started to go wrong she had a few extra steps on her side. "If it's not too personal, do you mind if I ask you the same question? I mean you are out here alone just like me and honestly I have not seen a single other car go by in the time that we have been here so this doesn't seem like a secret Olympia hot spot or anything. Well, unless it's a really good secret that is." she jokes, more so for her own sake than his.

MONTY
@Queen of Hens
3 people like this

"You kidding me? Nothing but vineyards and dirt roads as far as the eye can see? Definitely a kick ass party spot if you ask me.Sebastian jests, stifling a slight laugh as he finally gets a good look at one of the spark plugs. Analyzing it carefully, he contemplates her question before answering; the young man didn't exactly want to scare her off by telling her the truth. He could almost see Aurora's reaction once he revealed he had been dropping off a few hundred grams of coke to one of his 'work friends' some miles back. Gone would be the trust he felt he had established with the stranger. Plus, she looked like she had a good swing, and he didn't exactly want to find out if he was right on his assumption. Measuring the gap of the plug, he continues rather smoothly, never losing his friendly demeanor. "But to answer your question, nah, I'm not here cause of some cool secret meeting place. I actually kind of had to just get away from everything for a minute." He says, his eyes trailing over to her as he talks, almost in awe at how the moonlight danced around her.

Focusing on the task at hand, Sebastian felt that he was only lying to Aurora somewhat; there were times when life would catch up to him and he just had to drive to keep his sanity, with these lonely roads on the outskirts of the city being some of his favorites. However, tonight just wasn't one of those nights for the rebellious blonde. Determining that the spark plugs weren't the issue, he runs a rough hand along his sharp jaw before looking for the next possible issue. "I checked your plugs and they seemed fine. I'm gonna take a look at the fuel filter." He assesses, walking over to her but keeping a respectful distance. Signaling to her tool box, Sebastian starts to rummage for the tools he'll need next, keeping the conversation rolling as he looks. "So you're visiting your brother then? Think I might know him?"
MONTY
@Rainbow Heart
3 people like this