Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don Draper

Martin Scorsese says Marvel films are ‘not cinema’

11 posts in this topic

The Marvel chirren are swarming on Twitter, but I interpreted this as an observation rather than a scathing critique. 

oCRc5a8.gif

2 people like this

Eh, I don’t think anybody has really argued that Marvel films and comic book movies in general are cinematic masterpieces. They just make fun blockbusters that people like to see. Seems like a redundant statement to me.

3 people like this

49 minutes ago, Tamina’s ligaments said:

Eh, I don’t think anybody has really argued that Marvel films and comic book movies in general are cinematic masterpieces. They just make fun blockbusters that people like to see. Seems like a redundant statement to me.

In this environment they make fun films that just help escape reality.

2 people like this

If he means that they can't act, he is right 

oCRc5a8.gif

2 people like this

17 minutes ago, Twisted Bliss said:

In this environment they make fun films that just help escape reality.

Exactly. They do the job they were meant to do.

He’s right. Marvel has kind of single-handedly cemented the divide between commercial success and critical acclaim.

oCRc5a8.gif

2 people like this

Not one lie spoken.

oCRc5a8.gif

1 person likes this

I mean I never finished a marvel movie and said to myself that this was a "Cinematic masterpiece" I don't think anyone else has for that matter then again you never know.

oCRc5a8.gif

The headline sounded elitist, but he definitely told the truth. Marvel movies are made in an assembly line by Kevin Feige for mass consumption and maybe quick thrills, not to deliver a message or provoke thought or illicit strong emotion like traditionally is expected of movies. I mean, that's not to say they're emotionless or have nothing to say, but when they do dive into that, they're QUICKLY undercut by a cheap one liner or joke to take the weightiness from it and not scar anyone. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either and they're still valid as enjoyable movies which I enjoy watching (sometimes), but it is what it is. Obligatory I hate Disney, etc.

oCRc5a8.gif

They're superhero movies; a genre built upon novelty. Name one film in the history of that genre that's ever provoked strong thought or been anything other than superficial fun. Dark Knight is an anomaly, and even with that, I'm throwing a bone.

Just because they've managed to monopolize the industry and found a winning formula for themselves, doesn't mean that they aren't still self-aware, or trying to make it more than what it is. Marvel Studios just forwarded their list to the Academy for the consideration of Endgame, and it's essentially all technical categories, despite it ending the decade as the highest-earning film ever.