Mariah.

"JOKER" Breaks Box Office Records

6 posts in this topic

Box Office: 'Joker' Has the Last Laugh With Record $96M U.S. Bow, $248M Globally

The nihilistic R-rated pic exceeded expectations despite heightened security at domestic theaters; it also raked in $152.2 million overseas.

Todd Phillips' Joker had the last laugh in its box office debut, earning a huge $96 million domestically from 4,374 theaters to set a new opening record for the month of October despite heightened security at cinemas across the U.S.

That's up from Sunday's estimated $93.5 million, which was likewise a record. And international numbers came in notably higher than Sunday estimates, by more than $10 million.

The dark, R-rated supervillain movie starring Joaquin Phoenix as a mentally ill misfit turned homicidal maniac did even more business overseas, raking in $152.2 million from more than 70 markets for a global start of $248.2 million (it doesn't yet have a release date in China). Both figures likewise set new benchmarks for the month.

In North America, Joker bested last year's Venom, which started off with $80.3 million domestically. To boot, the controversial origin pic danced to the best three-day bow of all time for an R-rated title, as well as boasting the fifth-biggest weekend launch of 2019 to date. It is also Warner' biggest debut in two years.

Joker — far from an ordinary superhero pic but an origin story laced with realism — has sparked widespread headlines and concern for its nihilistic themes and violence, prompting cinemas and police departments to ramp up security and remind patrons that face paint, masks and toy weapons aren't allowed. Theaters are also checking IDs and informing guests that the film's rating is a "hard R," and that anyone under 17 must be accompanied by a parent or adult when buying a ticket.

Only 8 percent of ticket buyers were between the ages of 13 and 17, according to PostTrak's exit polling service (figures aren't available for those 12 and under). Overall, males made up 62 percent of the audience. Joker played to an ethnically diverse crowd: 44 percent of ticket buyers were Caucasian, followed by Hispanics (24 percent), African-Americans (16 percent) and Asians/Other (14 percent). The majority of the audience (65 percent) was between the ages of 18 and 34.

Audiences gave the pic a B+ CinemaScore, while its Rotten Tomatoes freshness rating stands at 69 percent. Village Roadshow and Bron Studios each have a stake in Joker, which cost north of $60 million to produce before marketing.

Source

I'm shocked, but also not really given the fascination with the Joker and Batman lore in general. My main takeaway is with each R-rated blockbuster breaking records, I hope this keeps pushing Hollywood to realize that not every studio film has to be family friendly aka bring sex back to movies!

1 person likes this

Honestly, I can't say I'm shocked but I feel like some people probably doubted this movie prior to the trailer release, etc. Once the trailer hit and they saw how Mr. Phoenix snatched that role it was a done deal. The Joker is basically like the face of DC Villians considering one of the greatest of all time Batman's greatest enemy. His resume speaks for itself he's always been my favorite villain of Batman. However poor Jared Leto I've never seen anyone claim him that much perhaps in an alternate universe perhaps?

3 people like this

I’m impressed! Gonna have to watch this. 

It was stylish, immersive, well acted and I liked its underlying messages about healthcare and the wage gap but with that said, it portrayed mental illness in a questionable way. Even still, I think it would be a shame if Joaquin doesn’t get an Oscar nom.

The only person I know who saw it hated it and I trust ha taste.:jeigz2:

I think I'll wait till its on Blu Ray and add it to my collection.

Already only $4M below Dark Phoenix’s Worldwide gross lol. But seriously this is a huge opening for an R-rated film which doesn’t even really have any action like Deadpool etc.

Edited by Tamina’s ligaments