Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leigh

AEW Dark Episode 1

11 posts in this topic

AEW DARK Episode #1 
- Darby Allin vs CIMA (0:00)
- The Hybrid 2 & Lucha Bros vs Private Party & Best Friends (12:12)
- Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. & Allie vs Bea Priestley & Penelope Ford (Timestamped)

- SCU vs Jurassic Express (46:57)

It was an ok tag match from the ladies. Bea Priestly and Britt Baker impressed me the most. The match was at it's best when they were in the ring together. Allie was alright her moves didn't really seem all that impactful especially that senton in the beginning (yikes). I don't want to be mean but Penelope Ford was horrible. Some of her offense was good but she just felt lost in the ring. Pretty much any offense the face team made looked like shit (especially the pumphandle move where it looked like she didn't want to take it) and she was so slow. 

Also can we talk about the in ring sound quality? Everything in ring on this show just sounded muffled and non impactful. Idk why AEW has sound issues since companies like Impact has similar sounding acoustic to WWE. 

It felt like developmental/CAWs, but then I guess that’s the feel they’re going for. Nothing was impressive in-ring honestly and not a gimmick to be seen other than the woman who’s a dentist (?), though that doesn’t really work as a gimmick outside of a 90’s camp jobber & she’d make a lot more money practicing full time I’m sure. The commentary was dubbed in from what I could tell since they were talking about the title match (this was a dark match from the TV taping, no?) but, whew, JR should stay retired. It’s amazing that he used to counter Jerry Lawler and hype up the girls and now he’s just droning on and saying things like “all the females want their title and all the men want their title” and “she’s strong for her gender.” Maybe it’s just because he has nothing else to say about what he’s seeing but idk, this company should think about bringing something more interesting with the women considering where WWE is with the women’s division. It’s not like 2007 when TNA just needed to add effort to outsell the bad booking because even though we only get to consistently see maybe 6 women on WWE TV, their matches are some of the best and they’re the faces of the company. The AEW demographic may not be that interested in women’s wrestling, but if they ignore it and don’t offer a real alternative, they’re not going to surpass WWE.

hilyJhW.gif

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Ninja Balenciaga said:

Is this their "NXT"-equivalent?

oiahjklvfsdjga no it's more like WWE's Main Event show 

1 person likes this

I really hate these big ass TNT logos all over the arena.

Look wise everything about Bea was a choice. 

Whew child that senton serving nothing but a love tap.

Penelope was the only one really serving, and she delivered us a K2 inspired cartwheel. 

The dead crowd didn't help them, considering the match was already nothing special.

You know as a life long WWE fan there's so many things I've gotten accustom to match wise. The moves lacked sound and impact it was hard to tell when something was supposed to have done some "real damage" like slap a thigh. It's also a letdown seeing nobody actually having a character in sight, outside of whatever this dentist gimmick is supposed to be. A lot is to be desired from this women's division, but let me not act like I'll be giving them a view weekly.

iiconic.gif.0a1443ebe48cb5376822b54aecd4

1 person likes this

all i got from this basic ass tag match was Allie's overhyped, Britt needs a character overhaul, Bea smells, and Penelope has potential, but needs more experience

1 person likes this

They definitely need to beef up their women’s division. Besides a few girls I really haven’t been impressed. 

4 hours ago, Ninja Balenciaga said:

Is this their "NXT"-equivalent?

It’s dark matches from after the main show :rot:

Hence the dead crowd.

1 person likes this

Darby vs Cima kinda shat on everything wrassling related this week. :frecklefox:

The tag match was not cute but if they continue listening to fans they will fix it. 

1 person likes this

This is the first time I’ve seen Penelope but she’s cute and can actually make th back handspring elbow look like it hurts, which is rare. Other than that, she was a bit botchy... seemed like some bad timing. Overall match was decent but nothing memorable.