Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don Draper

Forthcoming ‘Clueless’ TV reboot described as ‘Mean Girls meets Riverdale meets a Lizzo video’

24 posts in this topic

CBS Television Studios is gearing up for a reboot of Clueless — one that makes Cher Horowitz the subject of a mystery.

CBS TV Studios owns the TV rights to the beloved 1995 feature film, written and directed by Amy Heckerling and starring Alicia Silverstone as Cher. The movie spawned a follow-up sitcom, created by Heckerling, with Rachel Blanchard in the lead role that ran for three seasons on ABC and UPN.

The new version, from writers Jordan Reddout and Gus Hickey (Will & Grace, Man With a Plan), would center on Dionne (played by Stacey Dash in both previous iterations), Cher's best friend and lifelong right-hand woman. When Cher disappears, Dionne must take on the pressures of being the new most popular girl in school while also unraveling the mystery of what happened to her friend.

The new version is described as Mean Girls meets Riverdale meets a Lizzo video, set in a high school that is uniquely 2020 L.A. The studio is shopping the project and has interest from multiple bidders, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Corinne Brinkerhoff (No Tomorrow, Jane the Virgin), who has an overall deal with CBS TV Studios, will executive produce the Clueless reboot with producing partner Tiffany Grant and one of the film's producers, Robert Lawrence. Heckerling is not involved in the project.

CBS TV Studios is also developing a Walker, Texas Ranger remake at The CW and produces that network's current series Nancy Drew, Charmed and Dynasty, along with a sizable portion of the series on CBS and streamer CBS All Access and Netflix's Dead to Me, Unbelievable and Insatiable.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/clueless-reboot-mystery-element-works-at-cbs-tv-studios-1248516?__twitter_impression=true 

A Clueless reboot of that description based on Dionne? Who asked.

1WHeUiR.gif

5 people like this

Who is approving on all these damn reboots?

1WHeUiR.gif

7 people like this

I know they don't mean that she's involved but the fact that Lizzo's name is anywhere near this tells me all I need to know.

1WHeUiR.gif

2 people like this

I’m so tired. Leave our Classics alone!

kWmjETQ.gif

3 people like this

The press people not realizing that those three elements have radically different audiences shows me that this ain’t gonna last long

1WHeUiR.gif

1 person likes this

Me reading this and not knowing that Alicia Silverstone didn't play Cher on the TV show and being confused.

1456490689-cher-alicia-silverstone-racha

Them looking close enough like each other for me to not notice.

1WHeUiR.gif

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Captain Fox said:

Me reading this and not knowing that Alicia Silverstone didn't play Cher on the TV show and being confused.

1456490689-cher-alicia-silverstone-racha

Them looking close enough like each other for me to not notice.

1WHeUiR.gif

Scream, ksdjfsdhjkhgjkdhfgj

I used to hate the show because Alicia Silverstone wasn't Cher, like why replace her?! :jeigz2:

13 minutes ago, Jeigz said:

The press people not realizing that those three elements have radically different audiences shows me that this ain’t gonna last long

1WHeUiR.gif

Aren't all 3 for white people? 

1WHeUiR.gif

1 person likes this

Just now, Charlotte's Weave said:

Scream, ksdjfsdhjkhgjkdhfgj

I used to hate the show because Alicia Silverstone wasn't Cher, like why replace her?! :jeigz2:

Alicia may have not wanted to touch TV since it was seen as "unbecoming" for an actor back then.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Captain Fox said:

Alicia may have not wanted to touch TV since it was seen as "unbecoming" for an actor back then.

Yeah, I just read it's because she had a development deal with Columbia-TriStar. I guess they prevented her from doing it? I dunno. It still kinda irks me when a great film becomes a tv show but with a different cast. Like 

Image result for question mark guy gif

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Amlex said:

Aren't all 3 for white people? 

1WHeUiR.gif

Yes

1WHeUiR.gif

Mean Girls is maybe the overlap but you can’t convince me the same people who like Riverdale would even look at Lizzo 

1WHeUiR.gif

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Captain Fox said:

The fact that until recently movie actors didn't want to touch tv roles cause it was 'beneath them' or 'where careers went to die' and now they are all clamouring to get parts there now that Disney owns the film industry :sasha:

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, Jeigz said:

Mean Girls is maybe the overlap but you can’t convince me the same people who like Riverdale would even look at Lizzo 

1WHeUiR.gif

Let me introduce you to my hell

1 person likes this

Just now, Rainbow Heart said:

The fact that until recently movie actors didn't want to touch tv roles cause it was 'beneath them' or 'where careers went to die' and now they are all clamouring to get parts there now that Disney owns the film industry :sasha:

Networks like HBO and older series like Twin Peaks revolutionized the game with storytelling in regards to television. Once networks saw that you can have production mirroring high quality movies, everybody wanted in. 

Storytelling is magnified and for some series, it really shows through. You can tell a much longer story, create larger worlds, television really has superseded film. 

2 minutes ago, Rainbow Heart said:

The tables have turned on them in such a funny way. :specky:

4 people like this

16 minutes ago, Rainbow Heart said:

Let me introduce you to my hell

so I was right, they don’t want to look at her

1WHeUiR.gif

6 hours ago, Kevin Thomas said:

I know they don't mean that she's involved but the fact that Lizzo's name is anywhere near this tells me all I need to know.

1WHeUiR.gif

Like what is “meets a Lizzo video” supposed to mean exactly?

1WHeUiR.gif

they forgot "meets me jumping off the 20th floor of my apartment"

1WHeUiR.gif

2 people like this