Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, and more. For easy entry, just sign in with your Twitter account.

Your Arrival

You've safely landed within Heartbreakers Community, home to the future of fandoms. If you're a fan with an open mind and an open heart, then you've reached your perfect destination.

Questions or Concerns

Need a guide through the new Heartbreakers Community? Don't hesitate to contact a member of staff for help. They'll be happy to assist you during your stay.

The Future of Fandoms

If you're an often silenced member of any particular fandom, you can find haven and community here. We welcome everyone. Connect your Twitter account for easy, instant access.

An Evolution

What began as a women's wrestling community, has exploded into something bigger. No longer will our voices be silenced in fandoms we love.

For More Heartbreakers

Join our Discord to chat with other members of the community, in real time.

DC Extended Universe | Wonder Woman 1984 & Birds of Prey in 2020

Some interesting Batman shit:

The costume designer, SFX supervisor and sound mixer all just won Oscars last night :shook: 

Also Peter Sarsgaard had this to say:

Production on Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” is underway, and according to cast member Peter Sarsgaard the final product is going to have a “raw power” to it. Sarsgaard appeared on SiriusXM radio this week for an interview and was asked to tease his role in Reeves’ upcoming Caped Crusader blockbuster. The actor is starring in the film as Gotham District Attorney Gil Colso. Not much is known about Colso as he does not have comic book roots, although fans are already speculating the character might turn out to be Two Face based on the district attorney connection.

Sarsgaard could not spill any details about his character, but he did share that filming the project has made it clear the tone of the film will be akin to the mood of alternative rock band Pixies. “It’s so raw in that way,” the actor said while comparing “The Batman” to the Pixies’ music style.

“That’s what I feel like about this. It is not sanitized,” the actor said of the movie. “It’s got a raw power to it, a raw emotionality.”

Sarsgaard is joined in “The Batman” by Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne, Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, Paul Dano as the Riddler, Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner James Gordon, John Turturro as Carmine Falcone, Jayme Lawson as Bella Reál, Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth, and Colin Farrell as the Penguin. Pattinson promised last month that his iteration of Wayne/Batman would differ from the likes of Christian Bale (Christopher Nolan’s “Dark Knight” trilogy) and Michael Keaton (Tim Burton’s “Batman” and “Batman Returns”) and be just as “crazy and perverse” as the indie film characters he’s played over the last several years. “The Batman” and Christopher Nolan’s upcoming “Tenet” mark Pattinson’s return to major studio tentpoles after wrapping “The Twilight Saga” in 2012.

“The Batman” is Reeves’ first directorial project since wrapping production on the “Planet of the Apes” trilogy. Reeves co-write the script with Mattson Tomlin. Oscar-nominated “Lion” and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” cinematographer Greig Fraser is shooting the project following his work on Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune.” Warner Bros. has already announced a June 25, 2021 nationwide release date for “The Batman.” Watch Sarsgaard talk “The Batman” with SiriusXM radio in the video below.

Source

• 2 weeks later...
      • Replies 75
      • Created
      • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Them going for the animated series aesthetic instead of NY at night. Gotham is about to feel like a character.  

I just want to see Poison Ivy

They're gonna move shooting for "The Batman" to Glasgow in February @Jake @Cooksie @Captain Fox, it's literally PERFECT for Gotham AHHHHHHKGFDHJKGDF    &#13

10 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

So the head of DC confirmed that "The Batman" is part of the DCEU continuity, just a soft reboot. So there's hope for a redo of Justice League :shook: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comments/fbr3jl/jim_lee_talks_about_the_future_of_dc_films/

Batman really is going to be a make or break for their universe going forward, and will really set the tone for a possible Justice League 2.

FINALLY saw Birds of Prey and it fucking snapped omg, Black Canary was far and away my favorite coming out of it, Jurnee was perfect. I loved all the leads actually, but the kid annoyed the fuck out of me lmao. Black Mask and Zsasz were such good villains too, so unsettling. Zsasz was lowkey hot :sandra: .

The gag with the grievances really sent me, like the editing and writing of this movie were so good. I loved how it was non-linear at first and was filling in the gaps as we went. Like so much good in it, I can go on for hours. Pull up @Amlex :crying2: 

On 07/03/2020 at 2:44 PM, Mariah. said:

FINALLY saw Birds of Prey and it fucking snapped omg, Black Canary was far and away my favorite coming out of it, Jurnee was perfect. I loved all the leads actually, but the kid annoyed the fuck out of me lmao. Black Mask and Zsasz were such good villains too, so unsettling. Zsasz was lowkey hot :sandra: .

The gag with the grievances really sent me, like the editing and writing of this movie were so good. I loved how it was non-linear at first and was filling in the gaps as we went. Like so much good in it, I can go on for hours. Pull up @Amlex :crying2: 

Same! I left the cinema so impressed with her and how awesome she did as Black Canary! nnnnnnn I want a solo movie! 

On 7/3/2020 at 4:44 AM, Mariah. said:

Yaaaaas. I had goosebumps with Woman playing at the end. The feeling you have when you watched a great movie >>>>>>>

Give your ranting in letterboxd. These neckbeards are hating!

10 hours ago, Kat said:

Same! I left the cinema so impressed with her and how awesome she did as Black Canary! nnnnnnn I want a solo movie! 

She definitely had the most fleshed out character arc after Harley, I really wanna see her in more. Maybe a series on HBO Max if they don't feel confident in another movie.

4 hours ago, Amlex said:

Yaaaaas. I had goosebumps with Woman playing at the end. The feeling you have when you watched a great movie >>>>>>>

Give your ranting in letterboxd. These neckbeards are hating!

YES, it really was so perfectly tied up that the ending made you feel so so good, whew.

And already done did, the neckbeards really hate anything not catered to them because there was nothing in there that was even remotely feather ruffling:skull: 

4 hours ago, Mariah. said:

She definitely had the most fleshed out character arc after Harley, I really wanna see her in more. Maybe a series on HBO Max if they don't feel confident in another movie.

💯 

• 3 months later...
      • 1 month later...
      • 4 months later...
      • 3 weeks later...
      On 12/15/2020 at 9:35 PM, Shoaib. said:

I think what I'm most excited about is the bright nostalgic feel of it being set in the 80s and seemingly taking inspiration from superhero media of that time but that time in general. I don't want it to be too light in tone but I do want it to be fun, campy, as feminine as it desires but actually taken seriously and still feel epic. I have faith!

And that faith wasn't misplaced! Not entirely anyway. 

I didn't LOVE it like I hoped I would, but I liked it and the timing of when it was released worked out because it's the type of fun and hopeful thing that was needed not only this time of year but in general imo. 

I wouldn't be shocked if some of my opinions change upon a rewatch down the line but one thing I don't think I'll budge on is that I enjoyed all the 80s-ness of it that seems to be a common criticism and I didn't feel it compromised the vision at all. The entire plot was just very 80s in general and even more something that would only work being set in that time and YES, cheesy, that not leaning into it would've felt odd to me. It wasn't retro to be edgy but rather to capture what this kind of media actually was like back then and what was cool. I think the villains were a big win, Pedro Pascal especially but both served. Diana and Steve's chemistry will always be a win. There were some good visuals too that I wish I could've seen on the big screen like the fireworks but welp! 

That said, the more serious action sequences were definitely a miss for me and unfortunate given the passionate reasons the characters had to fight for what they had that the emotional aspects of the movie nailed. I hear some of the issues people have with the effects too but IDK, it worked for me. I kinda liked the cheesiness, how the scenes in the air were shot especially and how they're reminiscent of that time. Like it instantly put an image of like Christopher Reeve flying through the sky in my head. 

Overall I expected it to be more explicitly political than it was, but the finished product was a lot more simple fun with a simple message and I think there should be room for that. It didn't occur to me in the moment how bad the optics are on a scene like Diana saving the kids on the road with Gal's history which is kinda yikes. Imagining it in the real world and taking offence to some of the stereotypes and such it may reinforce is understandable too but I guess I choose to suspend my disbelief and operate in the fantasy, given the character of Wonder Woman and the world she strives for is very idealised anyway. That's not for everyone and maybe it's the wrong thing to do but oh well. :shrug: It's been a rough year, I'm gonna let myself enjoy the good!

I do have to say I went to bed last night liking it a little bit more than I did when I woke up honestly. There's a lot of good but altogether it just doesn't quite come together as well as I hoped. Last night it would've been closer to 4 but 3½ stars is what I settled on today. The first is still a 5/5!

Yeah, the very first thing that jumped out at me was how much I missed the theatrical experience. From a visual standpoint, the movie was near perfect. The bright colors, the wide shots, THEMYSCIRA. It was stunning. The negatives for me were the problematic moments mentioned (I too cringed at the moment when she saved the kids on the road given Gal's history...), I thought it lacked action and probably could have done without several pointless conversations toward the middle to make space for more action, and I also didn't love the ending with Diana simply talking Maxwell out of his plan and him just going back to normal, after all the harm he caused.

But with that said, Maxwell was a really good villain. I loved that Pedro knew he was in this cheesy 80s movie and hammed it all the way up, but still felt threatening like all good 80s villains managed. Which was another thing I also loved, how it felt like a movie made in the 80s for an 80s audience. The feel good, cheesy, cliche vibe felt in line with movies like Back to the Future and Ghostbusters, which is why I really don't understand people picking it apart for "trying to do political commentary and failing" when it wasn't trying anything at all beyond having a simple theme of greed and showing that in a light, escapist, digestible way.

I LOOOOOVED Kristen Wiig and I thought they did a pretty decent job juggling Cheetah and Maxwell, though I hope Cheetah comes back because she definitely could do with being more central. I think what made Cheetah better is how adorable Kristen was as her, playing again to the 80s cliches/cheesiness, so when you saw she was desperate more than anything and that's what turned her bad you really feel as heartbroken as Diana would be.

Gal is still a dodgy actress, but where she really really shines oddly is the subtle emotional moments. Everything she did with Chris Pine/Steve Trevor was soooo... like it tugged on my heart, especially the goodbye scene. And the scene where she was visibly drained of power, she played very well.

Everything else @Shoaib. pretty much clocked, so I'll leave it there. Definitely not on par with the original Wonder Woman or a lot of superhero movies, but I still really enjoyed it and would give it like a 3.7/5, so a 4 really

The movie was entertaining, but also boring at the same time for me. Some of the special effects where pretty messy, and almost felt lazy in execution. Cheetah was a bad bitch, and didn’t get as much screen time as I would have hoped. However Kristen definitely helped carry the movie she was phenomenal in her role. A good 30-40 minutes could have been cut, but it was a cute movie to view from my bed.

I have so many criticisms for the movie that I really just can't shake. The major one being the villains. Do not get me wrong, I thought Kristen Wiig was fantastic- she nailed Barbara as the colleague that you feel bad for because they're socially awkward, good at heart, and just not given the chance. It was great. Maxwell was just... bland. Poor. Power hungry, and there was really no punishment for his behavior. Almost like, "All is forgiven".

What bothers me is the battle between Cheetah and Diana. In the first film, Diana and Ares square off, one-on-one, as the children of Zeus. They are literal gods themselves, trained for however many years, and they are on equal footing. Why is it, in this film, Diana must don the armor of Asteria, the Amazonian goddess who wore the armor crafted of all the Amazons, who wore this armor while battling an ARMY of men to protect Themyscira... and Diana has to wear this armor while battling Barbara, who only turned into Cheetah just a mere what, 10 minutes prior? And who was able to rip the bars OFF of the armor as if it were nothing, so much to the point that Diana drops the armor in order to fight her properly? To me, this places Cheetah above Ares as a villain, and it just feels odd to think that.

52 minutes ago, Kegan said:

I have so many criticisms for the movie that I really just can't shake. The major one being the villains. Do not get me wrong, I thought Kristen Wiig was fantastic- she nailed Barbara as the colleague that you feel bad for because they're socially awkward, good at heart, and just not given the chance. It was great. Maxwell was just... bland. Poor. Power hungry, and there was really no punishment for his behavior. Almost like, "All is forgiven".

What bothers me is the battle between Cheetah and Diana. In the first film, Diana and Ares square off, one-on-one, as the children of Zeus. They are literal gods themselves, trained for however many years, and they are on equal footing. Why is it, in this film, Diana must don the armor of Asteria, the Amazonian goddess who wore the armor crafted of all the Amazons, who wore this armor while battling an ARMY of men to protect Themyscira... and Diana has to wear this armor while battling Barbara, who only turned into Cheetah just a mere what, 10 minutes prior? And who was able to rip the bars OFF of the armor as if it were nothing, so much to the point that Diana drops the armor in order to fight her properly? To me, this places Cheetah above Ares as a villain, and it just feels odd to think that.

I was expecting him to die, or face some kind of punishment yet they gave us nothing.:pregbrie:

3 hours ago, Kegan said:

Barbara wishes to be just like Diana, which means she's now on equal footing. Then she's given extra power from Maxwell right before the battle. To me it's not hard to believe that a faux demigoddess with enchanted apex predator powers can destroy ancient armor while an army of average men couldn't.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:05 PM, Jake said:

Barbara wishes to be just like Diana, which means she's now on equal footing. Then she's given extra power from Maxwell right before the battle. To me it's not hard to believe that a faux demigoddess with enchanted apex predator powers can destroy ancient armor while an army of average men couldn't.

While true, I guess I'm looking at it from the other viewpoint that, in that regard, Diana was wearing less during the battle against Ares than during the battle with Barbara. I know that Diana donned the armor before she was made aware of Barbara's new level of power, it just... I'm perhaps just overanalyzing it because I just didn't enjoy it. And yes, it's also not entirely fair to pick apart and be all "It's not realistic!" about a superhero movie.