Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Layout

Dark Side of the Ring

29 posts in this topic

Apparently this has been a thing since last year, but I'm just now finding out about the show? Has anybody seen it? What are your thoughts on it and how did you feel about the Chris Benoit episode? I've been very detached from wrestling, but this has captured my interest. Next week they're airing an episode on New Jack which I'm looking forward to seeing 

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Twisted Bliss said:

Not a Benoit doc.

79D3eZ5.gif79D3eZ5.gif

Cmon sis, this is a conversation that's been needed to have for awhile. The industry simply can't pretend Benoit doesn't exist just because of what he did, especially since he's so influential. I'd at least watch for Nancy. I feel bad for her since her legacy has also been erased even though she did nothing wrong :uhh: After watching the doc I'm all for her getting in the HOF 

79D3eZ5.gif 

5 people like this

OMG, OMG, I've been watching the show since last season, it's so good!

I thought the Beniot 2 hr episode was really moving. It obviously doesn't excuse his actions at all, it does not take them lightly but it does shine the light on how unsafe wrestling has been, and in a way continues to be, for many years. The CTE stuff, chilling. And it's really important too to show how a smaller physique lead to discrimination in the business in the 90s and early 2000s. We still kind of see it but definitely less so since the rise of Rey Mysterio, Punk and subsequently Daniel Bryan. 

I feel the most for Nancy, I didn't know too much about her and it's really not fair that she's been completely erased because of this. She shouldn't be tied to what her husband did, she should be celebrated as a good person and a great manager/valet. 

I also didn't know about how Eddie passed away in Chavo's arms, that....ughhhh.

Image result for charlotte flair crying gif

I think since we're so far removed from it now and some things have been done to address the wear and tear on wrestling bodies, it's the right time to revisit this. 

If anyone is interested in watching the episode or the last season, go here  https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/benoit-part-one/5e5ed19e9202a153ee37abb1

i think vice also uploaded some episodes to their youtube. 

2 people like this

So we're not supposed to forget about what he did but cry crocodile tears over a documentary? I don't think so we forgot about him after what he did and I'm pretty sure we can continue.

79D3eZ5.gif

3 people like this

24 minutes ago, Charlotte's Weave said:

OMG, OMG, I've been watching the show since last season, it's so good!

I thought the Beniot 2 hr episode was really moving. It obviously doesn't excuse his actions at all, it does not take them lightly but it does shine the light on how unsafe wrestling has been, and in a way continues to be, for many years. The CTE stuff, chilling. And it's really important too to show how a smaller physique lead to discrimination in the business in the 90s and early 2000s. We still kind of see it but definitely less so since the rise of Rey Mysterio, Punk and subsequently Daniel Bryan. 

I feel the most for Nancy, I didn't know too much about her and it's really not fair that she's been completely erased because of this. She shouldn't be tied to what her husband did, she should be celebrated as a good person and a great manager/valet. 

I also didn't know about how Eddie passed away in Chavo's arms, that....ughhhh.

Image result for charlotte flair crying gif

I think since we're so far removed from it now and some things have been done to address the wear and tear on wrestling bodies, it's the right time to revisit this. 

If anyone is interested in watching the episode or the last season, go here  https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/benoit-part-one/5e5ed19e9202a153ee37abb1

i think vice also uploaded some episodes to their youtube. 

Thank you! I'm about to watch the one on the Von Erich's :cry:Only the Chris Benoit one is on Youtube, the rest you have to pay for.  The wrestling industry over-discussed the Montreal Screwjob so meh.. and I'll probably watch Moolah's after! I'm even gonna see the mysterious death of Gorgeous Gino too! I've never heard of him but for some reason the history of wrestling is all very intriguing, so I'm gonna give that one a chance.  You're so right tho, it did highlight how unsafe things used to be. I cringed superrrr hard looking at the chair shots to the head shown in the documentary. It's actually REALLY bad that it took a double murder and suicide for the industry to care more about the safety of the wrestlers

71D88671-2C35-406D-B44B-C46EF9751B36.gif

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Eric said:

So we're not supposed to forget about what he did but cry crocodile tears over a documentary? I don't think so we forgot about him after what he did and I'm pretty sure we can continue.

79D3eZ5.gif

Right. I’m uncomfortable this is even a conversation. 

2 people like this

21 minutes ago, Eric said:

79D3eZ5.gif

Some of you have this all confused. The documentary wasn't made to make you sympathize with Chris and want for him to be in the HOF.... it was made to open the door for discussion. David(the son of Chris) and Nancy's sister deserve to have their stories heard and Nancy's career should be highlighted. 

8 people like this

6 minutes ago, Layout said:

Some of you have this all confused. The documentary wasn't made to make you sympathize with Chris and want for him to be in the HOF.... it was made to open the door for discussion. David(the son of Chris) and Nancy's sister deserve to have their stories heard and Nancy's career should be highlighted. 

You’re not wrong in that aspect considering they’re their own person & shouldn’t be held accountable for what Benoit did but it gets weird when people start discussing whether or not they should honor/pay tribute to a murderer because “he was such a great wrestler!!!” 

The whole “Yeah, he killed people but....” narrative is weird.  

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Layout said:

Cmon sis, this is a conversation that's been needed to have for awhile. The industry simply can't pretend Benoit doesn't exist just because of what he did, especially since he's so influential. I'd at least watch for Nancy. I feel bad for her since her legacy has also been erased even though she did nothing wrong :uhh: After watching the doc I'm all for her getting in the HOF 

79D3eZ5.gif 

Considering what he did he’s basically damaged goods to acknowledge, good wrestler or not.

79D3eZ5.gif

I heard the first episode hotties it with the narrative of how he was such a great loving husband and father and how he rescued Nancy from a bad marriage.

Interesting choice considering he killed them. :hatnikki:

38 minutes ago, prince. said:

You’re not wrong in that aspect considering they’re their own person & shouldn’t be held accountable for what Benoit did but it gets weird when people start discussing whether or not they should honor/pay tribute to a murderer because “he was such a great wrestler!!!” 

The whole “Yeah, he killed people but....” narrative is weird.  

I don't particularly find it weird since I at least get where those people are coming from. He gave his life to the business and it's basically what killed him. With the whole concussion thing one can say "that wasn't him..." but yeah, I do know where you're coming from as well. This is an uncomfortable topic, but things shouldn't be ignored because they're hard to discuss. I'm sure it was therapeutic for those involved in this as well as for those who watched

30 minutes ago, Twisted Bliss said:

Considering what he did he’s basically damaged goods to acknowledge, good wrestler or not.

79D3eZ5.gif

Idk. They can at least say Randy Orton beat him to win his first World Title... stuff like that. Celebrating him and acknowledging are different. They can acknowledge him without glamorizing him 

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Black Canary said:

I heard the first episode hotties it with the narrative of how he was such a great loving husband and father and how he rescued Nancy from a bad marriage.

Interesting choice considering he killed them. :hatnikki:

I actually didn't know Nancy was abused by him, I always thought the love triangle was more similar to Chyna/HHH/Steph. It said he refused to come on the show and denied all the allegations 

21 minutes ago, Layout said:

I don't particularly find it weird since I at least get where those people are coming from. He gave his life to the business and it's basically what killed him. With the whole concussion thing one can say "that wasn't him..." but yeah, I do know where you're coming from as well. This is an uncomfortable topic, but things shouldn't be ignored because they're hard to discuss. I'm sure it was therapeutic for those involved in this as well as for those who watched

Idk. They can at least say Randy Orton beat him to win his first World Title... stuff like that. Celebrating him and acknowledging are different. They can acknowledge him without glamorizing him 

It could simply be out of respect to Nancy’s family to not mention him, it also brings up the fact that his actions along with the concussion issues almost ended the wrestling business. We simply need to just leave him where he’s at, and leave it at that.

giphy.gif

3 people like this

49 minutes ago, Layout said:

Yeah, I didn't get the feeling they wanted you to sympathize with him. Like it or not, the tragedy changed professional wrestling forever and brought huge awareness to head injuries with athletes. Stories like this need to be told so these situations can be avoided in the future. 

6 people like this

18 minutes ago, Twisted Bliss said:

It could simply be out of respect to Nancy’s family to not mention him, it also brings up the fact that his actions along with the concussion issues almost ended the wrestling business. We simply need to just leave him where he’s at, and leave it at that.

giphy.gif

IIRC the media was misinformed at the time and blamed it all on steroids, then after that so many wrestlers got busted with it which caused a huge scandal. That's probably why they were in such hot water. Didn't Hogan also nearly bring down the business because of that? Now that there is so much talk about CTE especially with the NFL the topic should be re-evaluated

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Layout said:

IIRC the media was misinformed at the time and blamed it all on steroids, then after that so many wrestlers got busted with it which caused a huge scandal. That's probably why they were in such hot water. Didn't Hogan also nearly bring down the business because of that? Now that there is so much talk about CTE especially with the NFL the topic should be re-evaluated

Yep they barely survived the Benoit scandal, especially since Nancy Grace already had a vendetta with the wrestling business. His death is dangerous to talk about because it ultimately led to more humane practices being enforced in the business. However his actions alone make even that difficult to discuss even with the worlds current focus on CTE issues.

3 people like this

I haven't seen the Chris episode yet, but I went and watched the Moolah and Montreal Screwjob episodes and it's quite fascinating. I might also check out the Macho Man/Miss Elizabeth episode.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Layout said:

I mean I understand that but overall it's just an uncomfortable topic to discuss without thinking of him.

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

I haven't seen the Chris episode yet, but I went and watched the Moolah and Montreal Screwjob episodes and it's quite fascinating. I might also check out the Macho Man/Miss Elizabeth episode.

I remember seeing a preview for this when it aired but not watching. Kind of want to go back and find it.

giphy.gif

it is weird to try to humanize Benoit after all that happened tbh. There have certainly been a lot of influential people over centuries who’ve been implicated in horrible things, but when it comes down to it we have to acknowledge that he didn’t exactly change the culture or provide some kind of artifact that’s important to our world as a whole right now. A lot of times in the study of history and other humanities we have to suspend our judgment of people’s actions (i.e. idk like every American pre-1820 having slaves??), but this is just a man who was a notable but not starring participant in what is already viewed as a fringe and low-culture spectacle. What he did is unforgivable anyway and in any time, tbh. Not saying it wouldn’t be an interesting watch, but I’m not curious to see it if they try to redeem him.

giphy.gif

5 people like this

so I was at NOC that night in Houston he was supposed to be there. My dad and I had discussed going to Raw the next night in Corpus Christi, but he needed to get back to work. Then they canceled Raw and did the tribute, then they found out the truth. What a crazy ride all of that was. Because I was the only person in school who was openly a wrestling fan, I had so many people, especially teachers, asking me what was going on.

I obviously think what he did was unforgivable, and I also think he was a very talented wrestler and that if people watch some of his tapes to learn some things, that it isn't the end of the world. There are other sports celebs that the murders they committed don't stop people from discussing how good they were at the game, but yeah. I'm glad others are getting the chance to speak out about it. CTE needs to be an issue in WWE, and all sports.

1 person likes this

I brought this up in another thread in a very poor and immature way. I think this is a good chance to clarify what I was trying to say before. I believed there was more to the story in the sense that they didn’t put much emphasis on CTE and brain injuries in wrestling, at the time of the tragedy I was young and the only answer I had been given was that it was roid rage/steroids and that’s what I believed for years. It wasn’t until the last couple of years I became aware of the brain injuries/CTE issues that plagued him (and other wrestlers). Now this does not excuse his behaviour and it never will and I do understand why WWE have taken the route they have with ignoring him but I do hope this documentary opens up the door for more discussions on the severity of brain injuries in sports in general (cause these injuries happen in football as well) and how they can stop them from happening in the future. 

As for this series I have actually only seen the episode about Bruiser Brody which was super sad and changed my opinion on Carlos Colon quite greatly. I’m honestly surprised the guy who killed him never did a second of time in jail for such an obvious murder. 

1 person likes this

I watched this and found it to be quite interesting and also so sad to hear his son and sister in-law. It was all so tragic and regardless of the CTE, his actions can never be forgiven. But it is intriguing to wonder if things would have been different without the CTE... or even if Benoit had at the very least chosen a finisher that did not require such direct contact with his head on a consistent basis. It was also great to learn a little bit about Nancy/Woman because I didn’t know much about her at all and didn’t realize she was in the wrestling business for so long. 

Nancy used to slay :shock:also i watched the Moolah, Montreal Screwjob and Von Erich ones too 

Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit were gay lovers who were fucking on the DL. When his papacito died, he spiralled. 

Jokes aside, this man is a piece of shit and I hate how smark wrestling stans are so passionate about him not being in the Hall of Fame. It shouldn't even be up for discussion. What he did is cruel and disgusting, caused Nancy Grace to PRESS WWE for months on CNN, and disgraced wrestling from the mainstream media for a long time. I hate when his name is mentioned. 

VlRhuDy.gif