Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ninja Balenciaga

RIP Longtime Announcer Howard Finkel

15 posts in this topic

 
 
😐
1
 
 
 
 
Quote

WWE is saddened to learn that Howard Finkel has passed away at age 69.

When considering the greatest ring announcers in the history of sports and sports-entertainment, you’d be hard-pressed to name one better than Howard Finkel. A native of Newark, NJ, “The Fink” — a label that had been attached affectionately to Howard over the years — made his ring announcing debut at Madison Square Garden in 1977 for WWE’s predecessor, WWWF.

By 1979, Finkel was the full-time ring announcer for WWWF, and when WWE was established in 1980, The Fink became the first — and eventually longest-serving — employee. Finkel’s distinctive voice was instantly recognizable, and for more than two decades Superstars such as The Ultimate Warrior, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and more would have a title victory marked by The Fink’s signature call, “and NNNEEEWWW World Champion!” 

Despite being a ring announcer, Finkel didn’t shy away from in-ring competition in certain circumstances. In 1995, he battled his longtime rival Harvey Wippleman in a Tuxedo Match on Raw, and later helped X-Pac shave Jeff Jarrett’s head in a Hair vs. Hair Match at SummerSlam 1998.

In addition to his legendary tenure as a ring announcer, The Fink was an indispensable resource inside the WWE offices for his vast knowledge of sports-entertainment history. Well respected by current Superstars, WWE Legends and Hall of Famers, Finkel’s encyclopedic memory and kindness made him beloved among his colleagues. The Fink was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 4, 2009.

WWE extends its condolences to Finkel’s family, friends and fans.

https://www.wwe.com/article/howard-finkel-passes-away

RIP. What a shitty 24 hours it's been to be a wrestling fan.

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 cancelled 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My heart is completely broken. RIP Fink ❤

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Fink.  Like Ninja said; if you're a wrestling fan, this is the shittiest 24 hour span ever.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely heartbreaking. He was an incredible announcer. Maybe a random memory, but I'll always remember his announcing Trish Stratus the new women's champion at Survivor Series and the crowd popping, even if the mic had a little technical difficulties. RIP Fink  

 

 

9 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP. 

Such an incredible announcer. WWE has yet to find anyone that really makes it feel as special as Howard did. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R.I.P To A LEGEND! :crying:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP to an icon and legend.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel42 said:

Absolutely heartbreaking. He was an incredible announcer. Maybe a random memory, but I'll always remember his announcing Trish Stratus the new women's champion at Survivor Series and the crowd popping, even if the mic had a little technical difficulties. RIP Fink  

 

 

May sound odd but I absolutely loved the way he would say “Women’s Championship/Women’s Champion and “It Is Now Time for the Royal Rumble match”. Idk why but I have never forgotten how he would say those words. He just made it sound so exciting! 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg. Not Fink. I hope he at least went peacefully.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kat said:

May sound odd but I absolutely loved the way he would say “Women’s Championship/Women’s Champion and “It Is Now Time for the Royal Rumble match”. Idk why but I have never forgotten how he would say those words. He just made it sound so exciting! 

omg yes! The way he said it always made it sound big.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He seemed like such a sweet man, rest in peace :crying2: 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, Mariah. said:

He seemed like such a sweet man, rest in peace :crying2: 

That’s the impression that I got too, which is why it’s making me mad there’s tea going around he was very mistreated :uhh:   Rest In Peace to him. He was actually the most talented ring-announcer imo! I have attachment to Lillian as I grew up more with her, but Howard’s announcing hit differently.  :frecklefox:Things just felt more important when he’d announce

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Layout said:

That’s the impression that I got too, which is why it’s making me mad there’s tea going around he was very mistreated :uhh:   Rest In Peace to him. He was actually the most talented ring-announcer imo! I have attachment to Lillian as I grew up more with her, but Howard’s announcing hit differently.  :frecklefox:Things just felt more important when he’d announce

 

I re-watched the clip where he came back to announce for Punk, and he had TEARS in his eyes while the crowd was chanting his name. Meanwhile, he was getting buried on commentary. I know they're being fed lines and it's not Cole or Booker's fault, but the person who may have been feeding them lines on what to say. And... well...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kegan said:

I re-watched the clip where he came back to announce for Punk, and he had TEARS in his eyes while the crowd was chanting his name. Meanwhile, he was getting buried on commentary. I know they're being fed lines and it's not Cole or Booker's fault, but the person who may have been feeding them lines on what to say. And... well...

Commentary be exposing who’s well liked and who isn’t. I peep that when I watch now cause they’ll go through such lengths to disrespect certain talent on it and it’s sad and pathetic to me :dead:  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.