Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don Draper

#SpeakingOut tackles sexual misconduct in wrestling

74 posts in this topic

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2020/06/18/speakingout-trends-as-several-top-names-in-wrestling-face-sexual-assault-allegations/

A wave of sexual assault and harassment allegations hit Twitter Thursday as several names from WWE, NWA and across the wrestling scene have been accused of serious allegations by various women. 

The trend speaks to an increasingly sinister developing story as several women of in and out of the wrestling industry are now using their platform to speak out against violence and sexual assault allegedly leveled against them. 

One of the most prominent allegations implicates NWA Vice President Dave Lagana, who is being accused of sexual assault by a woman who goes by the name of Liz Savage on Twitter. 

“After being friends with David Lagana for four years he sexually assaulted me,” said Savage.

“I moved to LA after two years of him asking me to come out. He told me I was a real friend to him as I had been there for him when he was at his lowest, he wanted to bring me out to LA for work.”

“He was back and forth between (ROH/TNA) companies at the time (2010) but told me if I came to LA he would put me on NWA Hollywood and he needed someone to help him make the wrestling promotion agency he wanted to run a reality. I could even stay with him until I got my place and he'd show me around. None of this happened except the moving part.”

Lagana has been at the helm for the critically acclaimed NWA Powerrr, which airs on YouTube. 

Independent wrestler David Starr has also been under fire for sexual assault, allegations—allegations which he vehemently denies—as several independent wrestling promotions have cut ties with the embattled star.

As WWE NXT’s Jordan Devlin faces abuse allegations, fellow NXT UK stars Travis Banks, Joe Coffey and Tyler Bate also facing varying allegations. 

AEW star Nyla Rose and WWE NXT UK stars Piper Niven and NXT UK women’s champion Kay Lee Ray have spoke out in support of the #SpeakingOut movement, which is reminiscent of the #MeToo movement that shook up Hollywood.

WWE has released an official statement in light of recent allegations against Jordan Devlin, stating: 

“We take any allegation of this nature very seriously and are looking into the matter.”

1 person likes this

I am SO glad this is sustaining momentum. I hope it becomes such that the mainstream media outlets notice and pick it up for reporting. This industry’s carnival culture and resulting stigma has fostered an environment where it is easier to cover up misconduct/crime and protect perpetrators of said misconduct. It is long overdue for dismantling. Take out the trash now.

oCRc5a8.gif

8 people like this

31 minutes ago, Don Draper said:

I am SO glad this is sustaining momentum. I hope it becomes such that the mainstream media outlets notice and pick it up for reporting. This industry’s carnival culture and resulting stigma has fostered an environment where it is easier to cover up misconduct/crime and protect perpetrators of said misconduct. It is long overdue for dismantling. Take out the trash now.

oCRc5a8.gif

I'm very surprised the #METOO movement has finally hit the wrestling world. There was so much speculation and some call outs a few years ago but it seems like David Starr's outing was the match that lit the fire to finally burn it all down. These girls have so much courage to speak their truth in an industry that still treats them like second class citizens. I'm so disgusted by all these dudes, why is it so fucking difficult to not be a predator?!

I'm proud of every one of these women. They are strong, we have to support each other :heart:

fox 32 | Tumblr

6 people like this

This has spiderwebbed out now to allegations against both Matt Riddle and Jack Gallagher. 

I’m hoping WWE takes this serious. 

7 people like this

Get the creeps out. I applaud everyone that has come forward. I see that some men have also been speaking out about their #MeToo #SpeakingOut issues as well. The wrestling industry needs to change. The power dynamics need to change.

5 people like this

Whenever the topic of sexual misconduct comes up in wrestling I'll never not remember reading Ashley's story in that lawsuit 

4 people like this

Justin Roberts now too. Another one that's always given me weird vibes.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Don Draper said:

oCRc5a8.gif

100% agree with you on this. It makes me sick how many people do this shit and it gets covered up and the abusers get to go on with their lives (and continue doing it to other people) while the victims struggle for years after the incident. It’s time to expose and rid the world of this trash. 

5 people like this

While I've been waiting for the day of reckoning with the big wigs being taken down too, I'm really glad to see this small step toward that and I support all the people coming forward. It's not easy to talk about sexual assault when you're in the industry because of the fucked up culture that surrounds it, so my love goes out to all the victims.

9 people like this

Pat Patterson needs to be next.

the amount of names out now in just a day. There is more and they all need to be exposed ASAP.

5 people like this

4 hours ago, Ninja Balenciaga said:

Justin Roberts now too. Another one that's always given me weird vibes.

he's literally a creep sauce. he asked me for pictures before, and has asked other things that were inappropriate.

1 person likes this

and this is what I was talking about with the culture, him basically saying it's the nature, the expectation, the rule, and that it shouldn't be spoken. He's a fucking piece of shit

3 people like this

14 minutes ago, Katy said:

he's literally a creep sauce. he asked me for pictures before, and has asked other things that were inappropriate.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

and this is what I was talking about with the culture, him basically saying it's the nature, the expectation, the rule, and that it shouldn't be spoken. He's a fucking piece of shit

Okay honestly the more I re-read his tweet, the more confused I get, it kinda sounds like the karma he's talking about that's coming is for the abusers :skull:. Maybe the mobster reference was like a day of reckoning, idk, he must be high as hell

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Ninja Balenciaga said:

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

my initial response is it's okay lol but like... it isn't? I mean I wasn't underage, I didn't engage with him and turned him down every time, but other girls were underage, other girls didn't turn him down. I remember the last time I saw him was at a big show here in OK, I was texting my friend who was working the show and was talking about him, he was like "Oh, he's the announcer." "you're fucking with me... he's so creepy, no way." "nope, he's here!" and he was. ugh.  thankfully he didn't come out with everyone after, but yeah lol He's just always creeped me out. One conversation.. much like the one with the young girl, he asked what I was wearing. And I thought I was being funny, told him I was in men's boxers and a big t-shirt, because I was. That's my loungewear. He continually asked me if the "hole was opened or closed" I was like wat?!? "Open or closed?!" "...it's closed!" like I was sitting there diddling myself from texting him or something lol like wat even!

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

Okay honestly the more I re-read his tweet, the more confused I get, it kinda sounds like the karma he's talking about that's coming is for the abusers :skull:. Maybe the mobster reference was like a day of reckoning, idk, he must be high as hell

the verbiage makes me think he's talking down about, but you're right the karma part makes it go the other way.

2 people like this

WWE PR have finally sent the wrestlers their statements. :jeigz2:

2 minutes ago, Black Canary said:

WWE PR have finally sent the wrestlers their statements. :jeigz2:

They can fucking keep it lol

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

So here's my story. I got into wrestling in like 4th grade. By the time I got to jr high/high school I was like okay, I actually want to do this. Met a guy in Kentucky who had a school, and at this time it was still OVW, so Kentucky was the place to be. He told me if I came out, he'd train me for free. So one summer my mom and I drove out there.I met him, had an interview at the college, got in the ring a few times, got back home and never heard from him again. So I went on, ended up meeting guys in Oklahoma who wrestled, and when WWE comes to town they'd be used as extras. Started training with them, eventually worked my way around to various promotions in other cities. I was dating one of the guys, and that in itself is an entirely different story and the biggest reason why I think the majority of wrestlers are cheating, lying manwhores. BUT I DIGRESS. When we broke up, suddenly the guys in the back were up my ass. The wives HATED me because they all thought I was fucking their men. Like girl, this is the Oklahoma indies, I'm not fucking your tire gut of a man, calm down. That's why I stopped. I got tired of being constantly hounded. I can count on one hand the amount of guys I've slept with, and you can chop some fingers off and I'd still be able to tell you my number. I just don't do that.. I don't know if I'm a prude?? IDK and I'm not discounting girls who do sleep with guys. I honestly wish I would loosen up sometimes, but ANYWAY It was always uncomfortable, but I always told them to fuck off. Which then in turn they'd go around telling people I fucked them anyway when I hadn't. It was just dumb high school bullshit that I was tired of dealing with. I also realized WWE was not the life I wanted for myself and I went to college to get my bachelor's and left that world behind. Not all of those guys are bad. Some of them were like brothers and father figures to me. They protected me. I think that was a big reason why I felt okay with telling them to fuck off, because I knew if they did try anything, I had real friends who had my back. I met a lot of great people and still have some great friends through wrestling, but there are way more scumbags than good guys sadly.

Love you and support you forever, sis :crying2: 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Former WWE writer Dave Lagana has stepped down from being vice president of the NWA after the allegations against him came out.

And WWE's statement on things. To sum it up: talents are responsible for their own actions but WWE will be exercising zero tolerance. If a talent gets arrested, they'll be suspended. If they get convicted, they'll be fired. Or if evidence of domestic violence, child abuse or sexual assault comes to light, they'll either fine, suspend or fire said individual anyway.

A bit confusing but I get what they were going for: they have a process but they'll also just do what they want.

Edited by Ninja Balenciaga

Ea54n7eX0AI8l5A?format=jpg&name=large

NOT THE PRESS RELEASE ON SOME STICKY LABEL PAPER :ahh:

9 people like this

Just now, Don Draper said:

:rot: 

Who is his lawyer?

tumblr_onebi2Ghj21uzae1ko1_500.gif

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, Don Draper said:

tenor.gif

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Katy said:

So here's my story. I got into wrestling in like 4th grade. By the time I got to jr high/high school I was like okay, I actually want to do this. Met a guy in Kentucky who had a school, and at this time it was still OVW, so Kentucky was the place to be. He told me if I came out, he'd train me for free. So one summer my mom and I drove out there.I met him, had an interview at the college, got in the ring a few times, got back home and never heard from him again. So I went on, ended up meeting guys in Oklahoma who wrestled, and when WWE comes to town they'd be used as extras. Started training with them, eventually worked my way around to various promotions in other cities. I was dating one of the guys, and that in itself is an entirely different story and the biggest reason why I think the majority of wrestlers are cheating, lying manwhores. BUT I DIGRESS. When we broke up, suddenly the guys in the back were up my ass. The wives HATED me because they all thought I was fucking their men. Like girl, this is the Oklahoma indies, I'm not fucking your tire gut of a man, calm down. That's why I stopped. I got tired of being constantly hounded. I can count on one hand the amount of guys I've slept with, and you can chop some fingers off and I'd still be able to tell you my number. I just don't do that.. I don't know if I'm a prude?? IDK and I'm not discounting girls who do sleep with guys. I honestly wish I would loosen up sometimes, but ANYWAY It was always uncomfortable, but I always told them to fuck off. Which then in turn they'd go around telling people I fucked them anyway when I hadn't. It was just dumb high school bullshit that I was tired of dealing with. I also realized WWE was not the life I wanted for myself and I went to college to get my bachelor's and left that world behind. Not all of those guys are bad. Some of them were like brothers and father figures to me. They protected me. I think that was a big reason why I felt okay with telling them to fuck off, because I knew if they did try anything, I had real friends who had my back. I met a lot of great people and still have some great friends through wrestling, but there are way more scumbags than good guys sadly.

💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙

3 people like this