Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shumiley

Billy Porter releases statement responding to the Emmy snubs of his Black, Trans and femme 'Pose' co-stars

14 posts in this topic

It took me a minute to process all of the conflicting thoughts I had about yesterday. A record number of Black actors received #Emmy nominations this year, myself included. For that, I am grateful.
I have been doing this for a long, long time. It has taken me 30 years to get recognized for my work. If you had told me at 20 that I would win my first Emmy at 50…that I would win at all would have been inconceivable. But that I would have to wait that long would have been disappointing, frustrating, heartbreaking. I know the pain of being overlooked so well. Too well.
When I look at my Emmy win last year, I see the exuberant joyfulness in the faces of my #Pose family. MY win is THEIR win. And just as we share in each other’s happiness, we all share in each other’s pain. For me, @poseonfx lives at the intersection of art and activism and that is important to me. But I am keenly aware that for my SISTERS - it is much, much deeper than that. This is the story of their LIVES.
I love you @mjrodriguez7 @angelicaross @dominiquet.a.r.jackson @indyamoore @hailiesahar
Thank you @mrrpmurphy @stevencanals @janetmock @ourladyj @ryanjamaalswain @dyllonburnside @angelbcuriel

Source

maybe i'm being too negative but this feels like a lot of nothing? he spoke more about his win and how his win is their win (?) more than their struggles idk

3 people like this

19 minutes ago, shumiley said:

maybe i'm being too negative but this feels like a lot of nothing? he spoke more about his win and how his win is their win (?) more than their struggles idk

It's definitely that. He didn't even mention the fact that he's a cis man in a trans led show. We need to acknowledge the fact that the LGB have made tremendous progress in inclusion, but the trans community continues to be held down. Mj, Indya, and Angelica were absolutely snubbed of their flowers.

3 people like this

Disappointing. We all know why the wonderful trans women of Pose were snubbed and Billy's statement tap danced all around that. He can't just RuPaul 'everybody say love' and 'love & light' his way out of this. It's empty & hollow.

3 people like this

it's the way indya, dominique, mj and angelica have remained mute on his response :kii:

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, shumiley said:

it's the way indya, dominique, mj and angelica have remained mute on his response :kii:

Sadly, I don't think they'll say much on it. Billy's response kind of paints them in a corner because he went with the united front approach, recognition for me is recognition for all of us. If they push back on that, they'll risk seeming ungrateful or like they're causing trouble. But the alternative is just to stay quiet and hope that things change next year. It's a lose-lose situation.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Ninja Balenciaga said:

Sadly, I don't think they'll say much on it. Billy's response kind of paints them in a corner because he went with the united front approach, recognition for me is recognition for all of us. If they push back on that, they'll risk seeming ungrateful or like they're causing trouble. But the alternative is just to stay quiet and hope that things change next year. It's a lose-lose situation.

agreed. it'll also start headlines about how the cast hates each other, but they've said enough with their silence and that's all his response deserves.

2 people like this

Every sentence except one of his response contained either “I,” “me,” or “my,” and he centers himself as the subject in almost all of them of them as well. The girls have a right to clock him for this performative nonsense.

8BIvcNf.gif

3 people like this

How much longer you think Pray Tell has before AIDS takes him out, realistically?

8BIvcNf.gif

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Mariah. said:

How much longer you think Pray Tell has before AIDS takes him out, realistically?

8BIvcNf.gif

JGJBAFGJBASF Ma'am.

2 people like this

On 31/07/2020 at 6:14 AM, Mariah. said:

8BIvcNf.gif

BITCHSDFDJFLFSFDFDSS

1 person likes this