Jacqulee

Britt Baker wants fans to stop changing the channel when the women come on

13 posts in this topic

maxresdefault.jpg

Dr. Britt Baker recently spoke with Uproxx about criticism AEW gets for its women’s division. She says that the women’s roster took a hit during the pandemic because so much of the roster couldn’t return to TV. She also blames the lack of time and ratings on AEW not pushing for more women-oriented segments. She pleads with fans to stop changing the channel any time the women are on screen so that they can angle for more time.

Yeah, I definitely think it’s something the company is working on. You know, and we got hit hard—our women’s division, because of the COVID outbreak. Half our roster is international talent, so we immediately didn’t have access to any of those women. Then Kris Statlander got hurt, and I got hurt. And there’s only so much time on AEW Dynamite to start with.

And I know there are plans to grow the women’s division, but at the same time we need help from the fans at home too! We can’t have the women’s segments being the lowest rated or the lowest views each week. Because at the end of the day it’s a business, and AEW needs ratings.

It’s no secret we’re in a war every Wednesday night with NXT, so we need the ratings up. So for the fans that are so encouraging and saying “We want more women, we want more women!” that’s great, but please don’t turn the channel when the women are on TV then! We want everybody to be watching the segments and cheering us on from home.

Link: https://uproxx.com/sports/britt-baker-interview-aew-dynamite-first-anniversary/

Thoughts?

The bosses could easily shave 10 minutes from a Cody and Jericho segment to give these women some character development. The AEW women’s roster truly has no depth of importance; it serves the women are on and calls it a day. Shida is the longest reigning champion, and we haven’t seen much in terms of character arc this whole time. 

Jericho had one of the lowest rated segments in AEW history, and that didn’t stop them from going all in with the OJ feud. Time isn’t an excuse when Nxt as well as Inpact are delivering segments, side feuds, and matches each week. 
These excuses won’t fly in 2020 they talked a big game, and they need to execute all that talking into handing their women’s division properly. The fans need a reason to care, and AEW is not providing them with one whatsoever.

96aETkS.gif

11 people like this

They literally surpassed the 1M views record. What AEW lacks in is not fan support, but interesting angles. All they need is better writing, and as much as they said they don't wanna follow the babyface/heel formula, that's how they should proceed regardless. The only angles that I found interesting recently have been Jericho/MJF, Darby Allin/Ricky Starks, and maybe a little bit when it comes to the Dark Order, but other than that they have a lot lof great talent left with nothing much going on. And then you got girls like Abadon, Penelope, Tay, Anna, Diamante, and Ivelisse (to name a few) sitting their asses on Dark every week with wins/losses that mean absolutely nothing, because they don't have an angle to develop and mold their character after. 

3 people like this

Clownery. People are changing the channel because AEW isn't investing in the women. Why bother watching a match that has no storyline and no build? The matches are fine, the girls are talented, but unless you're a devoted women's wrestling fan, it's going to be boring for a general fan to watch.

7 people like this

I don’t think she should be addressing the fans regarding that. Instead of worrying about the fans changing the channel, how about asking why?NSe48bB.gif

2 people like this

I'm still flipping the channel to NXT

96aETkS.gif

6 people like this

I just support Via Youtube.

96aETkS.gif

2 people like this

They really booked Britt to wax Tony, and wonder why people are hitting the skip button.

they have inconsistent booking and give them sloppy second matches to work for. Why wouldn't people flip channel to watch queen Aliyah on USA Network instead?

96aETkS.gif

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Eric said:

I just support Via Youtube.

96aETkS.gif

This! The Jrobbers on dark are bad 🥰

3 hours ago, Bruno. said:

they have inconsistent booking and give them sloppy second matches to work for. Why wouldn't people flip channel to watch queen Aliyah on USA Network instead?

96aETkS.gif

Agree. NXT and Impact! are the only ones worth watching when it comes to mainstream Women's Wrestling right now

1 person likes this

The character development for her has been so good so I see where she is coming from but she is really the only one. Her segment last night was one of the highlights of the night but they can’t only develop her.