Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, and more. For easy entry, just sign in with your Twitter account.

Your Arrival

You've safely landed within Heartbreakers Community, home to the future of fandoms. If you're a fan with an open mind and an open heart, then you've reached your perfect destination.

Questions or Concerns

Need a guide through the new Heartbreakers Community? Don't hesitate to contact a member of staff for help. They'll be happy to assist you during your stay.

The Future of Fandoms

If you're an often silenced member of any particular fandom, you can find haven and community here. We welcome everyone. Connect your Twitter account for easy, instant access.

An Evolution

What began as a women's wrestling community, has exploded into something bigger. No longer will our voices be silenced in fandoms we love.

For More Heartbreakers

Join our Discord to chat with other members of the community, in real time.

Square Enix fails to break even with ‘Marvel’s Avengers’

marvelavengers-blogroll-1599756060187.jp

Marvel's Avengers sales have been lower than expected, and the game hasn't yet recouped its development costs, leading to an estimated ¥7 billion (approximately $67 million USD) operating loss in Square Enix's HD Games segment during the last financial quarter.Company president Yosuke Matsude explained in a newly translated results briefing, "Sales of Marvel’s Avengers were lower than we had expected and unable to completely offset the amortization of the game’s development costs."

Game analyst David Gibson previously explained that the company sold 60% of its planned units, and that the numbers implied the game cost around $100 million to make.

Responding to an investor's question on the subject, Matsuda clarified that - had Avengers not been released in that quarter - the company would have made a profit. That comes down to both development and marketing costs:

"In addition to the amortization of that game’s development costs," explained Matsuda, "another significant factor associated with the title was the fact that we undertook a major advertising campaign at the time of its launch to make up for delays in our marketing efforts resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. There is a certain amount of development costs still to be amortized in 3Q, but we want to recoup it by growing our sales going forward."Matsuda doesn't offer concrete plans, but said the hope is that updates will help drive new sales: "We hope to make up for slow initial sales by offering ample additional content to grow our sales." Last week, developer Crystal Dynamics announced the December release date for its first post-launch hero and campaign, announced another, and potentially teased other heroes to come beyond that.

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-hasnt-recouped-its-development-costs-yet

It’s what they deserve. I knew this game was gonna be mediocre as soon as I saw what it looked like. This could’ve been a PS3 or even PS2 game and I wouldn’t be surprised. 

It’s also what they deserve because I’m tired of the whack ass Avengers being shoved down my throat. They’re not interesting. And can’t carry their own game the way X-Men can. My 2 cents.

18 hours ago, Black Canary said:

Im not surprised since they did such a shit job promoting what the actual game was. The fact you had to buy the game to find out its more than just a GOS.

I forgot it was even released because I thought they were saving it for next gen. It’s not like Square Enix will be in the red from one failed project, but it’s almost like they didn’t care how it did because it wasn’t one of their franchises. 

I bought this game knowing it wasn't going to be great because there hasn't been a big superhero game since Arkham Knight in 2015. I will say the campaign storyline has some cute elements. The combat system is okay.  Definitely not terribly exciting, but not bad. But there are way too many weaknesses for a game that was in development for 5 years.

- Linear game maps. In this era of gaming, I feel like open world is the standard. We've had games like the Arkham series, which saw progressively larger open-world maps that you could explore at your leisure and both installments of Spider-Man. Being confined to mission areas that are largely the same based on what "sector" they're in is wack in comparison.

- Limited roster with no clear road map of intended DLC additions. I can understand not wanting to give away all the content up front, but the lack of communication and any clear plan for future updates is hurting them for sure. The OG group was fine for launch, but they are just now getting around to Kate Bishop/Hawkeye, both of whom were supposed to be early post-launch DLC. Frankly, the MCU has introduced us to so many larger-than-life characters that are far more interesting powers-wise and I know a lot of players are holding out for the list of rumored future characters that were mined from the beta data. I also understand that fixing the core foundation is necessary before adding new content, otherwise it would just be broken as well. But with proper planning and transparent communication, they could've planned DLC drops in conjuncture with the Disney+ series releases (dropping Scarlet Witch/Vision/Dr. Strange in coordination with the WandaVision release in January, Falcon/Winter Solider when their series comes, etc.)

- Co-op being limited to 4 when there are as many Avengers as there are just doesn't make sense. The math doesn't math.

Overall the product just doesn't reflect all the time that has been put into it, which is a shame especially since it's come out this late in game as far as the prominence of Avengers in the MCU now that they're about to start opening up the universe.