Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, and more. For easy entry, just sign in with your Twitter account.

Your Arrival

You've safely landed within Heartbreakers Community, home to the future of fandoms. If you're a fan with an open mind and an open heart, then you've reached your perfect destination.

Questions or Concerns

Need a guide through the new Heartbreakers Community? Don't hesitate to contact a member of staff for help. They'll be happy to assist you during your stay.

The Future of Fandoms

If you're an often silenced member of any particular fandom, you can find haven and community here. We welcome everyone. Connect your Twitter account for easy, instant access.

An Evolution

What began as a women's wrestling community, has exploded into something bigger. No longer will our voices be silenced in fandoms we love.

For More Heartbreakers

Join our Discord to chat with other members of the community, in real time.

Biggest Hit of 2020?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. And the nominees are...

• Wonder Woman 1984
        • Black Widow
        • Birds of Prey
        • No Time to Die
        • Mulan
        • Top Gun: Maverick
        • The Eternals
        • TENET
        • Dune
        • Fast & Furious 9
        • A Quiet Place: Part II
        • Godzilla vs. Kong
        • Other (sleeper hits here)

Image result for 2020 movies"

(image courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes)

A new year means the arrival of some highly anticipated film blockbusters and massive grosses to follow, so the question is simple: in the battle for blockbuster supremacy, what will be the biggest (and/or best) mainstream movie of 2020 and why? Will Wonder Woman 1984 trump Black Widow? Will Top Gun: Maverick trigger the nostalgia of people around the globe? Will the modern Bond series finish with a bang? Will Disney continue its reign of terror and be crowned box office king yet again? Sound off!

WW84, I really think it has the best shot. Black Widow has the MCU’s momentum to ride on, but it’s late, and it feels late. Especially after scarjo’s fate in end game, will people really care ? It will do fine, but I don’t see it doing better than WW.

I think Dune will be a surprise hit.

I feel like it'll be a close battle between WW84 and Black Widow. The latter --- while many of us feel it's late and hate ScarJo --- I feel like it still has the international market on lock since the Marvel brand is kinda unstoppable in that regard (especially in China, loooord). But I know in North America, Wonder Woman 1984 is far more anticipated and I think it'll definitely be the top grossing film of the year here. Those factors considered, I feel like WW84 might edge out Black Widow as the biggest movie of the year, with Top Gun: Maverick tapping into nostalgia as I mentioned and capturing a huge global audience as well to round out the top three.

I agree with @shumiley that In The Heights could be a feel good sleeper hit, and I otherwise think Dune is coming if it manages to be accessible (if it isn't, it'll go the route of Blade Runner 2049)

I'm going with Wonder Woman 84. She's a more mainstream name than Black Widow and has a wider appeal to audiences compared to Bond and Top Gun. Not sure where Mulan will fit into all of that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up ranking much higher than expected.

5 minutes ago, shumiley said:

hoping for mulan, but i think it'll be wonder woman.

in the heights deserves more hype too. the stage version is incredible

I personally don’t like Lin Manuel Miranda, but people will go out to see it just because it’s got his name on it, so I also expect it to do well.

I have no attachment to the MCU and the preview for Black Widow seemed both out of character for their films and uninteresting to me, while WW84 has this far been marketed well and looks incredible, so, we’ll go with that

:jeigz: 

1 minute ago, Mariah. said:

Ugh, Mulan has a chance to clock top three too tbh since all the Disney reboots have been doing a billion with ease. I love that the biggest projected hits are female led/directed :shook: 

and birds of prey too. the men are really quaking this year

also, I intentionally mentioned that Birds of Prey looked good when I was out to a movie last week with people who go see every comic book film that comes out and prefer DC, and they said it looked bad and they don’t want to see it, so we gotta make sure to support that one so the straight male agenda doesn’t continue winning the war 

:perched:

1 minute ago, Jeigz said:

I personally don’t like Lin Manuel Miranda, but people will go out to see it just because it’s got his name on it, so I also expect it to do well.

I have no attachment to the MCU and the preview for Black Widow seemed both out of character for their films and uninteresting to me, while WW84 has this far been marketed well and looks incredible, so, we’ll go with that

:jeigz: 

same tbh. him making a whole musical about slave owners despite not being black is so ?

but in the heights the theatre production is stunning and deserves all the coins. us musical movie fans get like one or two films a year and this looks like it's gonna be historic for us :shook:

32 minutes ago, Cooksie said:

WW84 definitely of the ones named. Eternals intrigues me (is that coming coming this year?) but I feel like Mulan is already skirting political controversy and the Disney remakes haven't had much staying power yet.

apparently so :rot:. It's probably all green screen, so it didn't take much time to film.

Definitely WW84! The first movie was so successful and definitely the best movie the DCEU have put out so far, so with that in mind I definitely see the second movie making it big. I also hope Mulan can make it big as well since it’s my favourite Disney movie ever and they’re honouring the original story. 

Edited by Kat

I think the 2020s will be a continuation of last late-decade trends. Interest in blockbuster franchises will continue fatiguing (which is why I think Top Gun and Fast & Furious will flop) except for the marquee superhero films. Marvel will plateau but continue being successful and DC will establish artistic footing, reboots will be produced to mixed results, and some as-yet unnamed original projects will take a greater share of the box office.

vXN2GVf.gif

4 hours ago, Don Draper said:

I think the 2020s will be a continuation of last late-decade trends. Interest in blockbuster franchises will continue fatiguing (which is why I think Top Gun and Fast & Furious will flop) except for the marquee superhero films. Marvel will plateau but continue being successful and DC will establish artistic footing, reboots will be produced to mixed results, and some as-yet unnamed original projects will take a greater share of the box office.

vXN2GVf.gif

Does Top Gun really count though? It feels more in the vein of Jurassic World in that it's a long awaited comeback for a classic and there's been no other films in the series, whereas we're on Fast & Furious 20. I have a feeling it'll perform well, especially overseas.

vXN2GVf.gif

26 minutes ago, Mariah. said:

Does Top Gun really count though? It feels more in the vein of Jurassic World in that it's a long awaited comeback for a classic and there's been no other films in the series, whereas we're on Fast & Furious 20. I have a feeling it'll perform well, especially overseas.

vXN2GVf.gif

The key difference is Jurassic Park’s greater cultural significance that bolstered Jurassic World’s performance, but only time will tell. “Flop” mat be too harsh a prediction, I agree that East Asia in particular will carry the box office, but I think Top Gun will fall flat in North America and Europe.

vXN2GVf.gif

18 hours ago, Rainbow Heart said:

Sonic the hedgehog is coming to snatch wigs ladies (jk if it's not wonder woman 1984 it better not be something led by a man. I am sick of it)
      w4JJW4a.gif

I really think Sonic will do well, people actually care for it. It’s really about to cancel out bop @Mariah. f-cj WB and their shitty promo